HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Modern Drunkard Magazine.

Thu Feb 19, 2015, 01:53 PM

Modern Drunkard Magazine.

Standing up for the right to get falling down drunk.

I was sent this link by a friend, this article is about Carson McCullers, author of "The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter" and "The Ballad of the Sad Café."

Weened on beer as a child, this gangly southern belle graduated to drinking straight gin from water glasses before she left high school.

The stellar success of her first novel The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter convinced Carson to move to the literary capitol of New York. Attending a ferocious flurry of cocktail parties thrown in her honor, she took no small amount of pleasure in shocking the gathered intelligentsia — not with boorish behavior (she was generally quite shy), but by showing them how much booze a young lady from the South could put away. Carson possessed a prodigious capacity for liquor and reveled in sending large proud Yankees staggering home while she drank deeper into the night.

2 replies, 904 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Modern Drunkard Magazine. (Original post)
Agnosticsherbet Feb 2015 OP
olddots Feb 2015 #1
Agnosticsherbet Feb 2015 #2

Response to Agnosticsherbet (Original post)

Thu Feb 19, 2015, 02:05 PM

1. she may have been just a great writer

as a painter/musican I abused Twinkies thinking it would improve my crafts but found out that I could have been just as mediocre without them

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to olddots (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 19, 2015, 03:05 PM

2. LOL

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread