Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

mnhtnbb

(31,585 posts)
Fri May 17, 2024, 04:10 PM May 17

Friday afternoon cocktails

Why wait for 5 o'clock? It's five somewhere, right? I'm sitting on my covered porch. Listening to cicadas. Watching them fly through the yard and land...at my feet or in the patio furniture. They have a 17 year life cycle. It hit me: in all likelihood I will not be alive when they return in 2041. I'm 73.

So, I'm having that cocktail at 4 pm, instead of 5.

8 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Friday afternoon cocktails (Original Post) mnhtnbb May 17 OP
Cheers! elleng May 17 #1
Cheers! mnhtnbb May 17 #2
Ditto, cloudy here now too, and rain forecast next 2 days. elleng May 17 #3
Another view mnhtnbb May 17 #4
You have a lovely porch and garden. And, indeed, it is ALWAYS 5 o'clock niyad May 17 #5
Looks like a tasty cocktail! What is it? Different Drummer May 17 #6
A Manhattan. mnhtnbb May 17 #8
Kick..........N/T Upthevibe May 17 #7

elleng

(133,213 posts)
1. Cheers!
Fri May 17, 2024, 04:15 PM
May 17

Chicadas haven't made it here, MAY reach nearby (further south) county soon. (And I'll likely miss their next visit; I'm older than you.

(May buy a new (to me) wine soon, so cheers then too!)

mnhtnbb

(31,585 posts)
4. Another view
Fri May 17, 2024, 04:45 PM
May 17

I moved because the cicada on the concrete was very close to my feet, and I didn't want it crawling up my pants.

The rocks on the table are from the Bay of Fundy in Canada.

Doves are cooing now, hesitant to come enjoy the birdseed buffet on the retaining wall by my bird feeders.

Latest Discussions»The DU Lounge»Friday afternoon cocktail...