HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Happy Thanksgiving also t...

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 11:00 AM

Happy Thanksgiving also to those who aren't doing Thanksgiving.

Among all the stories of families gathered around a table laden with turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes, consider also the stories of those who aren't having a big meal among loved ones - those who are alone for various reasons - maybe they can't get together for logistic or financial reasons, or maybe their families just dumped them. Some of us are spending the day alone, maybe with pets, maybe having a special meal or maybe just the usual. I'll probably have a chicken sandwich and give a few scraps to the cat. I don't even like turkey. But we can all be thankful to have dodged a bullet on Nov. 8, and we're still alive and kicking, so there's that. Happy Thanksgiving, DU.

28 replies, 1390 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply Happy Thanksgiving also to those who aren't doing Thanksgiving. (Original post)
Ocelot II Thursday OP
wryter2000 Thursday #1
SheltieLover Thursday #2
CousinIT Thursday #3
Sogo Thursday #4
claudette Thursday #5
question everything Thursday #6
Ocelot II Thursday #10
SharonAnn Thursday #7
Raven Thursday #19
BlueSky3 Thursday #8
grantcart Thursday #9
Tom Yossarian Joad Thursday #11
SallyHemmings Thursday #12
cayugafalls Thursday #13
bucolic_frolic Thursday #14
Ocelot II Thursday #15
Katinfl Thursday #16
CaptainTruth Thursday #17
BittyJenkins Thursday #18
murielm99 Thursday #20
dawn5651 Thursday #21
DENVERPOPS Thursday #22
quaint Thursday #23
littlemissmartypants Thursday #24
ancianita Thursday #25
70sEraVet Thursday #26
Nululu Thursday #27
lambchopp59 Thursday #28

Response to Ocelot II (Original post)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 11:11 AM

1. Happy Thursday to you

Iím fine with Turkey Day, having dinner with friends. Last year we had duck. I have no idea what weíre eating today. I made a pie that is emphatically not pumpkin.

I loathe Christmas. I go to church because I always go to church. I sing in the choir, which is my joy. Then I go home and watch non-Christmas stuff until the day goes away. The nice thing about Christmas is it goes away.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 11:26 AM

2. Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 11:38 AM

3. Ditto that. My family are all RWNJ Trumpers.

I'm happy alone with the cat thankyouverymuch. And they live across the country, so there's that.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 11:50 AM

4. Well said.

I'm alone. The Thanksgiving I had was with friends on Sunday and it was lovely. Family is at a distance, and I don't do flying anymore. The family that is near have their own gatherings, and I don't fit in there anymore since Mom died several years ago. So, I'll cook a good meal for myself, go for a walk, and watch movies and sports today.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and to all who are solo today and to all who are gathered with loved ones, as well....

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 11:56 AM

5. I feel that way

about Christmas knowing that for so many it is not very merry. I love the idea of the ďAngel TreeĒ in churches where you can donate gifts under the tree for those who otherwise wouldnít get anything. . Wish there was more we could do

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:06 PM

6. Is Mister Cat still around? Happy Thanksgiving to all of you

Reply to this post

Response to question everything (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:30 PM

10. Mister Cat is still around, still hanging out on my porch

where he has a heated chair, hut and feeding bowls. This morning in honor of Thanksgiving I gave him some rotisserie chicken along with his cat food. I don't know if he's thankful but he seems content.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:21 PM

7. I had plans for dinner and cards with friends, but I'm home isolated with COVID

Fortunately, I live in a lovely senior living complex, have good medical care, and the kitchen delivered my turkey and trimmings dinner.

Iím feeling pretty good after two days of constant sneezing and runny nose. Iím hoping Iíll be symptom free in a few days. Wish me luck!

Reply to this post

Response to SharonAnn (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:51 PM

19. I'm home with Covid too. I've been sick for about a week but I'm feeling like I've

turned a corner today. Happy Thanksgiving and get well soon!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:22 PM

8. Happy Thanksgiving to introverts everywhere

who are made to feel "less than" if they don't join a lot of people around a table. Relax into a good book or a binge watch on Netflix and be sure to give your pets an extra hug.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:22 PM

9. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

If you told us on October 8th that we would have the results of Nov 8th we would have erupted in joy. Let's try and stay in that moment.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:32 PM

11. Had a Jimmy Dean's Biscuit and Sausage Gravy that was tasty.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:35 PM

12. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:37 PM

13. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your kitty!

My wife and I are alone.

I still cook and do it up. Why not? I play music, sing a little and lift our spirits. No one else will, my family are rwnj's.

Even before I got married as a single guy, I always did something special, just for me.

I deserve it, we all do.

Peace and love, Ocelot II, scritches for the kitty.

cayugafalls

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:42 PM

14. Somebody should do a Zoom DU Thanksgiving

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #14)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:43 PM

15. It would probably turn into a cat show.

I've seen that happen...

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:45 PM

16. I feel the same way.

Everyone does not have that storybook description of Thanksgiving. We each have our own way of spending the day and should not be judged or pitied by others. We usually have dinner with family but circumstances and distance have made it impossible this year. Instead, we are going to Golden Corral for their buffet. If the line is out the door, we will go home and roast a chicken. So much to be thankful for.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:47 PM

17. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:49 PM

18. Happy Thanksgiving to

You and your Own!
We are here with our pups. The big thrill will be a frozen meal, having a fire in the fireplace and snuggling with pups. We donít even have to clean the house! 🍂🍁🦃🍁🍂

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:56 PM

20. My husband, adult son and I

are going to a nearby restaurant that has a great buffet. Why cook all that for just three people?

We had to get the reservations three weeks ago.

We have gone to this place once before on Thanksgiving and it was good.

We have had Thanksgivings where we invited people who would have been alone otherwise. This year, since I am starting radiation Monday, we are not doing that.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:59 PM

21. happy thanksgiving.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 01:33 PM

22. Having dodged a bullet

has taken on an entirely new meaning for most Americans.........NOT LOL

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 01:34 PM

23. I'm thankful for many things, and DU is in the top ten.

I'm also alone and I've made myself a full dinner sans turkey, which has been replaced with veggie stew.
Tuesday I made the cranberry sauce and pumpkin custard. Too early, all gone.
Making them again, both should set in time for leftovers.
Grateful no arguing, snideness nor snark for my holiday.

Happy, happy all!

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 01:43 PM

24. Alone. Several years ago I started my own tradition of fasting for Thanksgiving.

My parents didn't understand it and my adopted Dad thought I was dumb to skip the family meal. I would visit but always after they finished their meal. They both passed away recently. I miss my mother most of all. She was my best friend.

My half sister and I don't like each other. So I'm happy as a clam, alone. Doing my own thing. Watching the dog show with my fur baby. No judgment. No pressure. No ridicule. Joyfully, alone.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ocelot II. And Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who makes up this wonderful family that we call DU.

❤️ pants

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 01:44 PM

25. Happy Thanksgiving, Ocelot II.

I was going to hit the beach alone today, with some kind of sandwich, a book, enjoy the sound of waves, even take a dip. I am experiencing the same reasons others spend Thanksgiving alone (and no pet).

I appreciate your important reminder and perspective. (By surprise I got a last minute invite from one of my trivia team friends and will join their family dinner later.)

Humans who are alone today can have time off from any validation chorus, to feel more peace; enjoy themselves as they are.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 01:49 PM

26. Happy Thanksgiving, Ocelot.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 02:01 PM

27. Happy Thanksgiving!

Here with hubby and content with life.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 02:07 PM

28. Thanksgiving is a time of crushing PTSD for some

Christmas remains a mediocre meaning of a "holiday" to me, as I've worked far more Xmasses and other holidays than indulged.
I had these holidays mean something from 1985 until 1992, before my other half passed away. Eldon had the homekeeping magic to make those times special. We travelled somewhere special most of those years, had adventure along with a ton of fun.
But prior to meeting my soul mate the holidays were damn depressing. I recall a few fun Xmasses from childhood only vaguely now. Yet even then I was witness to indulgent holidays my midwestern family had that I was jealous of-- but only to an extent. Those spoiled brats made screaming matches over who got what. Most often I received packages of underwear and socks to unwrap. On the rare occasion my grandmother was in attendance I got a toy.
That all went straight to hell after being outed as gay. LGBT folks quite often have completely different holidays from what I assume most are like my midwestern family's. But most of all I still feel the heartache of being homeless, damn near suicidally so, alone and cold on the street, thinking about what it was so terrible about me that I no longer deserved a place at the table, even when it was often sort of a teacher's salary afforded minimal meal.
I still have Eldon to thank for having a warm comfortable home now, even if it is on wheels. He sacrificed so much to help me through college, kept a roof over my head and delicious sustenance in my biological furnace. If it weren't for his paying for damn near everything but what my grants and loans could cover, I'd never have made it to my degree. I returned the favor during his demise. I never even saw my paychecks, I handed them to him and he took care of everything. God do I miss him.
Those who started out careers deep in debt for their education, paying exhorbitant rates for everything while building credit, spending decades just struggling to finally see the black of the ledger. These are the Americans that know the meaning of sacrifice.
Yet let me tell you what irks me beyond belief:
Donald Idiotus Trump lamenting about the "sacrifices" he's made. Holy shit.
I'd challenge every one of these silver spoon RW pundits and politicians to "pick themselves up by the bootstraps" in exactly my coming of age. No-- no "rich connections" allowed. No money for rent anywhere. You're sleeping on the street with one eye open praying you don't get attacked or raped or arrested or molested or rained on in the night. Prayers that went nowhere, it all still happened.
Riding busses half asleep and getting kicked off in the rain by the driver at the end of the line. Riding the bus to where you can take a shower when the college gym wasn't open. Riding the bus to campus struggling to stay awake all through classes. Breaking and entering sometimes before it all became camera'd and alarmed just to have a warm place to sleep for a few hours.
Yeah, Donald, lets talk about "sacrifices" when your ilk has done everything in your power to yank even the slightest hope from under many who went through what I did. Let's talk about sacrifices when you were 18 with absolutely nothing but your lithe young body to sell and it nauseates me to this day some things I was forced to do to survive it.
Politicians who can claim "my daddy gave me a small loan of a million dollars" have absolutely no business whatsoever talking to many Americans about sacrifices. Assholes who weaseled out of serving their country by paying a doctor to write about bone spurs has even smaller rights to be talking about sacrifices. Yet here are veterans who sacrificed limb and sanity and still think this is some sort of hero?

Trust me, a tremendous number of Americans likely have really very little notion of how much they have to be thankful for.
Please if you actually read this with any empathy, for God's sake don't say "I'm sorry"
I'm not. I'm just thankful for what little I have.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread