HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Worst case of panic I eve...

Sat May 1, 2021, 05:37 PM

Worst case of panic I ever had hit today

So being a nice Saturday afternoon here. My cousin wanted to go to the park. So of course I take her to the park right? She's nine and needs to get out for a bit. But holy shit I never thought going to the playground would cause the worst panic attack I've had in many years. The amount of people with kids around. Like hundreds of them. I had to sit under a tree and watch her because I became paranoid and I couldn't even move. I had to call my mother to come help me. Yeah it was that bad to the point I couldn't function alone, I needed help to snap myself out of it.

Finally I was able to calm down and she took me home. I had to leave my car at the park since she didn't want me to drive my cousin in that condition. So she ended up taking her home.

It was the fucking worst. All those people made me completely despise being out in public like that. It's one thing being trusted into public because of a job. But voluntarily? Fuck people. I hate people so much after covid.

30 replies, 2354 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Worst case of panic I ever had hit today (Original post)
vercetti2021 May 1 OP
Demovictory9 May 1 #1
markie May 1 #2
alittlelark May 1 #3
vercetti2021 May 2 #22
samnsara May 1 #4
Grokenstein May 1 #7
Warpy May 1 #5
Evolve Dammit May 1 #6
LaMouffette May 1 #8
vercetti2021 May 2 #17
LaMouffette May 3 #30
DanieRains May 1 #9
vercetti2021 May 2 #18
KatK May 1 #10
vercetti2021 May 2 #19
I_UndergroundPanther May 1 #11
vercetti2021 May 2 #20
ailsagirl May 2 #28
yobrault1 May 1 #12
vercetti2021 May 2 #21
Mopar151 May 1 #13
deurbano May 1 #14
vercetti2021 May 2 #16
Snarkoleptic May 1 #15
Mad_Dem_X May 2 #23
Yavin4 May 2 #24
vercetti2021 May 2 #25
Yavin4 May 2 #26
vercetti2021 May 2 #27
Xavier Breath May 2 #29

Response to vercetti2021 (Original post)

Sat May 1, 2021, 05:43 PM

1. 😢 glad you made it home safe

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 1, 2021, 05:53 PM

2. I understand

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 05:59 PM

3. I hope u are feeeling more relaxed and focused now.

The energy of others can be debilitating to some. I intentionally live in the middle of nowhere to avoid the vast majority of it. I go into 'town' once a week or so and mentally prep myself.

If u r not aware yet I suggest you google 'highly sensitive people' or HSP's. Medical testing is now starting to validate.

I hope u feel better now, and can utilize the direct and strong focus that HSP's use to deal with this crazy world !!

Reply to this post

Response to alittlelark (Reply #3)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:49 AM

22. Highly sensitive people?

I didn't even know that was a thing.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 06:25 PM

4. i dont blame you... Im wearing mask everytime I go out, forever

Reply to this post

Response to samnsara (Reply #4)

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:39 PM

7. Damn straight.

The airline I work for just restated their mask mandate for passengers and employees alike, and I can't believe the Qanon-style garbage in the responses from my coworkers. I work a late shift when fewer supervisors are around, and there are already way too many edgy edgy edgelords who stomp around with their masks off, smug in the thought that everyone else's efforts and management laxity will protect them from consequences. The occasional funeral announcement for a once-healthy coworker goes right over their empty heads, so my mask will be staying on for a long time to come.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:23 PM

5. Panic attacks are no joke

and you can fuck up your whole life in fear of having another one.

However, it wasn't their fault. Chances are there were a lot of introverts there for their first day out with the kids who were having a tough time, too, although far short of a full blown panic attack.

You did good, called a support person and kept yourself and your niece safe. Next time you go out, you might not have one but even if you do, you know what to do about it. So give yourself a pat on the back for survival.

Just don't start blaming people, places or things for them. That an be crippling.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:30 PM

6. I share your fear of unmasked kids and adults. This is not the time for being complacent. I hope

you're OK, and I understand the fear, panic and hatred of those who don't care one iota for anyone. At all. They might as well just walk around with an upraised middle finger, cuz they really don't care who lives or gets sick and dies. Take care.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:53 PM

8. You are not alone. I haven't had a full-blown panic attack for years, but I've come close lately.

And all because of these hordes of ignorant people who think the pandemic is over, if there ever really WAS a pandemic to begin with (in their arrogant minds).

Even driving by a restaurant parking lot and seeing it packed full of cars gets me panicky feeling because I know that means there are tons of people inside.

Like another poster said, I'll be wearing a mask around other people for a very long time.

So please hang in there and take the best possible care of yourself during this difficult time that's extra hard for people like us.

Reply to this post

Response to LaMouffette (Reply #8)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:46 AM

17. I'll probably be wearing one forever

With all these variants that are now hitting the country it's just going to get really bad again despite like if people are fully vaccinated or not there's no vaccine for the current strains that are hitting

Reply to this post

Response to vercetti2021 (Reply #17)

Mon May 3, 2021, 11:43 AM

30. Me, too. I don't see shedding the mask anytime soon. And I am just astonished at all the people

going about their day-to-day business, cheerfully maskless, as if the pandemic were over.

Maybe in the end, there will be nobody left but us mask wearers! Grim thought, but maybe so.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:56 PM

9. Are You Taking Multi-Vitamins?

Taking all my vitamins has completely eliminated my sometimes pretty extreme anxiety. Maybe it is just me but sometimes I don't eat the stuff I should.

Since I have taken a multivitamin every day I have not had any anxiety.

Don't even know if this is the reason, but just trying to share / help.

Danie.

Reply to this post

Response to DanieRains (Reply #9)

18. I'm pretty sure I'm vitamin deficient

Like I haven't taken vitamins in so long

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:18 PM

10. Hoping that your entire body-mind finds ease and calm. PAs are no fun! Glad you got help!

Reply to this post

Response to KatK (Reply #10)

19. Kind of did

I got home and lock myself in my bedroom

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:20 PM

11. I know what you mean

I stay in my apartment unless I have to go out for cat food or meds..stuff like that.

People freak me out.

I'd rather be around cats than 99 % of people.

Reply to this post

Response to I_UndergroundPanther (Reply #11)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:47 AM

20. I'd rather have dogs

I can't have cats around they make me sneeze and my eyes water

Reply to this post

Response to I_UndergroundPanther (Reply #11)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:12 PM

28. Cats rule... for me 😸

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:27 PM

12. For us introverts

the end of the pandemic and opening things up will require our extrovert friends to check in on us. It's been the reverse and I have had to check on a few of my social butterflies. I have horrible panic attacks but therapy has helped a lot. I hope you remain calm and that there is no next one but if one hits you again, try to remember. You are strong, you are wise and you are in charge and remember to breath. Hope it helps.

~kb

Reply to this post

Response to yobrault1 (Reply #12)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:48 AM

21. It's really funny

I was actually becoming more extroverted before the pandemic and was actually really comfortable talking to people. But after the pandemic started it took a really hard reverse in the other direction and now I'm like I can't stand being around anybody

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:36 PM

13. Will Rogers

The more dogs I meet, the less I like people!

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:42 PM

14. I wanted to add, though it may seem small solace at the moment, that just being able to correctly

recognize what you're experiencing is a good start. I started having panic attacks in high school before Google, and I just thought I was going insane... like I might slip into a catatonic state at any moment. My right wing parents wouldn't let me go to a shrink because that person would for sure be a "liberal, who would just blame the parents," so I was left to figure it out/not figure it out on my own. I was terrified to go to sleep at night, fearing that if I let down my guard, my mind would float away like a ballon. I even tried to check myself into a mental health facility once, but my parents had to approve it since I was minor, and they wouldn't. To have a mom actually be helpful during an episode is something I couldn't imagine.

On a hopeful note, I did eventually learn more about panic attacks, and I haven't experienced one in decades. Best of luck! I know how debilitating they can be.

Reply to this post

Response to deurbano (Reply #14)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:45 AM

16. Oh I've had it since I was about nine

I've been to many many therapists. I tried killing myself twice in my life. So I'm still here for some reason I don't know why

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:55 PM

15. Glad you worked through this tough situation.

Surprise crowd levels are an unwelcome surprise!

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 12:44 PM

23. Panic attacks are the worst

I've been battling them off and on since I was 14 (I'm 54 now). I'm glad you were able to call someone to help and that you got home safely.

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 01:41 PM

24. Central Park was crazy today. Everyone was out.

People on bicycles are the worst. They love whizzing by people. I guess it's not fun unless you can hit someone.

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #24)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:39 PM

25. Hard no

I couldn't do it.

Reply to this post

Response to vercetti2021 (Reply #25)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:54 PM

26. I totally understand where you're coming from.

Central Park is huge, but on days like these, it feels crowded and small. Almost every square inch was taken. Weekdays are better.

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #26)

Sun May 2, 2021, 03:27 PM

27. And I'd love to go to NYC at some point

But I don't know if I could do it now. Southern girl like me wouldn't do very well in a huge city I don't think.

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:25 PM

29. As someone who has suffered from them myself, I can empathize.

My first attack back in '13 sent me to the hospital in an ambulance, convinced i was having a heart attack. A battery of tests later I received the surprising diagnosis. Good luck to you.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread