HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » When not in use, store ca...

Sat May 1, 2021, 12:07 PM

When not in use, store cat in a dry - room temperature environment

"Honey, we're getting low on cat. Call in an Instacart order"

30 replies, 1588 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply When not in use, store cat in a dry - room temperature environment (Original post)
packman May 1 OP
soothsayer May 1 #1
central scrutinizer May 1 #2
irisblue May 1 #3
Mr.Bill May 1 #4
C_eh_N_eh_D_eh May 1 #5
1cheapbeemr May 1 #6
Irish_Dem May 1 #7
packman May 1 #8
Irish_Dem May 1 #9
wnylib May 2 #12
Irish_Dem May 2 #14
wnylib May 2 #15
Irish_Dem May 2 #16
wnylib May 2 #17
Irish_Dem May 2 #18
wnylib May 2 #20
Irish_Dem May 2 #21
wnylib May 2 #22
Irish_Dem May 2 #26
wnylib May 2 #28
Irish_Dem May 2 #29
wnylib May 2 #30
Ocelot II May 2 #23
wnylib May 2 #24
Skittles May 1 #11
wnylib May 2 #25
MissB May 1 #10
Demovictory9 May 2 #13
TexasBushwhacker May 2 #19
wnylib May 2 #27

Response to packman (Original post)

Sat May 1, 2021, 12:27 PM

1. Those big paws and that fat tail

What a character

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 1, 2021, 02:05 PM

2. Fake!

Nobody has a refrigerator with only one card and one magnet.

Reply to this post

Response to central scrutinizer (Reply #2)

Sat May 1, 2021, 02:35 PM

3. notice the paw prints on the top right side of the freezer door.🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 02:43 PM

4. Is that a knife

stabbed through the refrigerator door?

Reply to this post

Response to Mr.Bill (Reply #4)

Sat May 1, 2021, 02:44 PM

5. A magnetic bag clip, I'm guessing.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 02:55 PM

6. Another added advantage to cat ownership

You don't have to dust up there.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 09:18 PM

7. I am fascinated by all the cat pictures. How do you get the cats down when they climb so high?

I have a little dog who never does any of the hijinks the cats seem to do.

Do the cats come when you call them?

My little dog, a Maltese, never does any thing weird at all.
Goes for a walk, eats, sits on my lap all day.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #7)

Sat May 1, 2021, 09:21 PM

8. If you never had a cat, it's hard to explain

The only time my cat comes to me is when I shake a bag of his cat treats. He also sits on my lap and lays on my chest when he feels like it.

Reply to this post

Response to packman (Reply #8)

Sat May 1, 2021, 09:25 PM

9. Never had a cat, nor was I close to someone who did.

I just don't understand how you get the cat down from high places.
I supposed they come down the same way they go up.

My little dog is my shadow. Always right next to me.
Never leaves my side. Tiny little thing.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #9)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:21 AM

12. They come down on their own

when they are ready. Mine goes to the top of the kitchen cabinets, between the cabinets and the ceiling, via a leap to the counter, then a leap to the fridge, and from the fridge to the cabinets. When she comes down, it's the same way, or else directly to the counter, bypassing the fridge.

If she's feeling mischievous, she sprawls on top of the fridge and knocks the fridge magnets (and papers) to the floor.

She does come when called, sometimes. Each cat is different. I have had some cats that came when called almost every time. My current one, not so much.

Cats are very quirky, which is one of the things I love about them. They are smart, but they operate on their own perceptions and "logic." They do not follow rules. They set their own rules and expect their humans to follow them.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #12)

Sun May 2, 2021, 09:07 AM

14. Much more independent than dogs for sure.

I thought that might be the way she did it. Goodness, she is a jumper if she can get to the counter.
Then fridge, then to the top of the cabinets.

So interesting about cats and rules. My little dog follows all the rules I set for her without any trouble.
Very predictable and low key. I can see where cats are more interesting and entertaining with their antics.
The pictures and videos of cats always fascinate me.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #14)

Sun May 2, 2021, 09:39 AM

15. There are a few cat breeds that are

said to be dog-like in their willingness to cooperate with people. Cooperate, but never "obey." Siamese is one of them. I had a half Siamese, half "moggie" (no breed) who came every single time he was called. If he was outdoors, he would give responding meows as he returned to the yard. He walked next to us as if he was on an invisible leash. He also accepted having a leash put on him. And yet, he maintained an air of aloof dignity when it suited him.

My current cat is very definitely a leaper. Most cats are, but she was amazing, even as a kitten, in her ability to leap distances two and three times her own size, both horizontally and vertically.

For all their independence, most cats also love attention from people and will be very devoted to people and other animals that they form bonds with.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #15)

Sun May 2, 2021, 01:18 PM

16. If I ever got a cat I would have to get one of the dog-like breeds of cat.

The kind you describe.

I think it would be too startling for me to have a cat peering down from the top of cabinets.
Knocking things over, and not obeying my commands. And leaping about all the time.
My nerves would be shot to pieces.

I am glad that cats can connect to people.

I do enjoy the videos and pictures however.
They are fascinating.

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #16)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:40 PM

17. Well, the "dog-like" ones are usually also

leapers. But, very graceful leapers. Very active and interactive with people, like dogs. They like to play fetch, for example, or catch. They learn word meanings and learn tricks, too, but must have a reward for their tricks in order to get them to do it. My half Siamese used to sit and catch but only in order to get his favorite toy, which was a pipe cleaner.

The "dog-like" breeds are Abyssinian, Egyptian Mau, Bengal, Siamese, and the breeds created by crosses with Siamese. My current cat is an unplanned mix of ordinary moggie and Egyptian Mau. Maus are expensive, but I got mine free because of her "oops" ancestry. So I have one with the Mau behavior traits, but not the beautiful spotted coat. She's beautiful, of course, with a tortoiseshell tabby coat.

Knocking things over intentionally - My current cat does this often, usually when she feels ignored and wants attention. It is annoying, but I've become used to it now and automatically safeguard breakable items. It is a hard-wired behavior for some cats, but not connected to any particular breed. If they have this behavior, you cannot train it out of them, only minimize the damage. So I leave unbreakable targets lying around, like a book on a table and box of kleenex on a counter, that she can knock to the floor with no harm done. Of all the cats I have had over the years, she is the only one who is a persistent "knock 'em down" kitty. It's like having a husband who always leaves the toilet seat up or socks on the floor - annoying, but you love him anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #17)

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:53 PM

18. If knocking things off surfaces is hard wired, what is the Darwinian survival value of the behavior?

That is what I cannot figure out.

I would like the dog like cats which you describe.
They sound very nice.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #18)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:07 PM

20. I have no idea what Darwinian value there is to

knocking things down. I have tried guessing what this behavior is all about, without much success. I just know that some cats do it and some don't. If you have a cat who does do it, the worst thing you can do is give a strong reaction to it. The cat will quickly learn that it is a way to get attention, and will do it more often. Speaking from experience on that. Since I now ignore the sudden crashes to the floor, she has adopted better ways to getcattention, like tapping my leg, rubbing my face, or lying across my book, keyboard, or whatever I'm doing. But she still gets the urge to knock something down occasionally.

I have seen videos of large wild cats in their own habitats knocking items over a cliff, or other wild cats into a river.

The guesses I have come up with are:

1. Showing disdain for something. "Poof! Get out of my way."

2. Claiming territory and knocking down "invasive objects."

3. Power trip - "Because I can. I am mighty cat and I dominate my environment."

4. Frustration, the way that some people throw things when angry. An anger management issue. Except - cats who like to knock things down don't respond to attempts to retrain them.

I have observed that my cat never knocks down something of her own. So, when she is in a knocking down mood and won't stop, I surround things on the counter with her toys. To knock down things on the counter, she would have to clear a path by knocking down her toys first. Works every time.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #20)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:35 PM

21. Could be a territorial thing then.

Any foreign object, or not belonging to the cat clan gets banished.

Your other ideas make sense too.

That makes the most from a Darwinian standpoint, invasive objects could be a threat to the cat clan.

So that is why your strategy works, very clever.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #21)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:51 PM

22. Cats tend to keep people on their toes,

trying to outwit them. Not always successful. Cats are much smarter than some give them credit for. They just express their intelligence differently from dogs (and people). I have had dogs, too, and love them. But a cat is more practical for me now, living in a city apartment.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #22)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:02 PM

26. Interesting dynamic. Yes I believe animals are much smarter than we realize.

We just have not developed adequate animal intelligence measurement tools.
We have tried to measure them against human intelligence which misses the point that they are not human.
And they express their intelligence in different ways.

So cats have a competitive streak. Interesting.

Yes I have a little grass area behind my condo, so I can keep a little dog.
If I were in a city apartment I would have to get a cat.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #26)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:43 PM

28. When kittens are around 5 months old,

they go through a stalking and attack developmental stage. Certain objects become their prey and they sneak up on them in a very stealthy way to go in for the kill. I had a previous cat who used to do that with stuffed animals. It's also the stage when they start expressing the arched back posture and sideways jump.

My current cat took this stalking stage to a level I had not seen before and the amount of planning she put into it really surprised me. I gave her a stuffed cat that was slightly bigger than her when she was 3 months old to be a companion for her since I can only have one cat in my apartment. It was her pal that she dragged around with her and snuggled with.

But when she was 5 months old, "Fluffy" became her prey. She would hide behind furniture and then rush to Fluffy, grab its neck, and give it a sharp snapping jerk which would have killed a real animal. (I was relieved to have her on my side.) But then she refined this hunting practice to planned, calculated attacks. She would carry Fluffy to a position behind a living room foot stool, then move out of sight and sneak up on the stool, crouch around it and pounce. But - this is what astonished me - if the angle wasn't quite to her satisfaction, the cat repositioned Fluffy and did the whole thing over again.

I mentioned this to her vet who was not surprised at all. She (the vet) said that cats are very capable of imaginative planning strategies and that my cat was honing her hunting skills with very deliberate planning and calculation. (Hope to hell I never meet a wild cat in its own territory.)

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #28)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:51 PM

29. Good God.

You are right, I don't want to meet the much bigger wild version of your cat out in the open.

Yes this indicates that cats can do imaginative play with survival value.
And plan ahead. The intricate movement of the prey is advanced training techniques.
A combination of innate ability and a smart cat.

The Maltese dogs will do a bit of stalking as they have been used as mousers in the past.
I had a mouse in the house once and my little Maltese kept tracking the mouse as it roamed around the house.
And did some stalking behavior. But nothing like your cat.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #29)

Sun May 2, 2021, 07:27 PM

30. The interesting part to me is that

although Ember (the cat) was following a natural developmental stage, and had the instincts and intelligence to do it well, she does not want to hurt anything or watch anything get hunted and killed.

She has always been indoors since birth. She is 5 years old now. She has never hunted a real creature in her life, or faced any real threats to her. So it is all a game. A few weeks ago I posted a thread in the Lounge about the time she played ambush with me and accidentally caught her claws on a surface vein in my ankle, which bled a lot. Ember stared at the blood and stopped dead in her tracks. She watched me clean it up and put on a bandaid, which she sniffed afterward. Ever since then, she has been more gentle in her ambush play and keeps her claws in.

She likes to watch a cat video that I got for her, showing rats, birds, and insects. So I thought she would like my National Geographic video of animals in the wild, mostly in Africa. She was fascinated with the tigers until a hunt scene when a tiger took down a zebra. She looked away from the screen and was visibly disturbed. Another scene showed lionesses circling a hyena for the kill. Ember ran into the bedroom, under the bed.

She refuses to stay in the room now whenever I put on that video. She recognizes the opening music and leaves the room.

She has the strength and skill for hunting, but no interest in killing. She has always been safe, well fed, and indoors. Stalking and ambushing are just playful pasttimes for her. I worry that if she ever got outside, she would not survive.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #20)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:53 PM

23. They are gravity-testing.

They want to be sure you paid your gravity bill.

Reply to this post

Response to Ocelot II (Reply #23)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:56 PM

24. LOL. If that is the case, then mine has

dedicated her life's mission to R&D research.

Reply to this post

Response to packman (Reply #8)

Sat May 1, 2021, 11:31 PM

11. I think what is really strange is

when I realize there is a cat in my lap but I have no recollection of him actually climbing IN there (usually when I am watching TV)

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #11)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:59 PM

25. Imagine waking up from a position of

lying on your stomach to find a cat curled up on your back with no memory of when it got there.

I had one who used to do that often. Apparently he waited until I was in deep sleep mode and crawled onto my back without waking me.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #7)

Sat May 1, 2021, 10:57 PM

10. My cat will come when I call

But only if she deigns to do so at that moment.

Cats climb things and then they get down. Iíve never seen cat skeletons in trees for example. They are amazing athletes, capable of leaping up and likely down.

Mine begs to be let into the room at night. She generally curls up on one side of me. She taps Dh now and then but he doesnít love having a cat snuggle at night. I donít mind.

She gets pissed when the dogs get treats and she doesnít. She will sit on her table and demand some.

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 02:32 AM

13. 😆

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 04:11 PM

19. They do love being up high

Looking down on their subjects.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Reply #19)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:02 PM

27. A carryover from their predatory hunting days

before they trained people to get their food for them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread