HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » METROPOLITAN DIARY

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 03:01 PM

METROPOLITAN DIARY

Knees and Hands
Dear Diary:

I was on a morning train from New Haven to Grand Central. Three people got on and sat in a four-seat section, two seats facing on either side, at the head of the car.

At a subsequent stop, a man got on the train. In one deft move, he sat down with the three people, freed the poster that was mounted on the wall nearby and positioned it on the eight collected knees. A deck of cards appeared, and the game began.

When the train arrived at Grand Central, the poster was returned to its rightful place, the cards were put away and the foursome went their separate ways.

— Stephen Condict

Scattered Coins
Dear Diary:

I was a music student living on the Upper West Side, and I was rushing to catch the subway for an orchestra rehearsal downtown.

I made in onto the platform just as the train doors began to close. I reached out, wallet in hand, and stopped them from closing completely. I assumed they would spring back open, but they didn’t.

As the train began to move, I realized my hand was more important than my wallet and pulled back. The wallet fell to the floor inside the train. I could see the coin purse pop open, scattering coins all over. Dejected, I made a mental list of everything I now needed to replace.

That night at home, a young woman called. Had I lost a wallet in a subway train that afternoon? Yes, I said.

We agreed on a place to meet, and when we did, the wallet was intact: money, cards and all — including coins. The people on the train had collected nearly all of them, the woman said.

— Barbara Shacklett

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/nyregion/metropolitan-diary.html

2 replies, 130 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply METROPOLITAN DIARY (Original post)
elleng Apr 27 OP
NBachers Apr 27 #1
yellerpup Apr 27 #2

Response to elleng (Original post)

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 03:15 PM

1. I like this!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Original post)

Tue Apr 27, 2021, 03:20 PM

2. Thank you for posting from Metropolitan Diary.

I miss NYC and this is a perfect illustration on how it really is!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread