HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Somebody explain to me wh...

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 10:06 AM

Somebody explain to me why Viola Davis didn't win the Oscar last night?

She is the greatest actress working in film now. If I were teaching a class in acting I would show the scene from "Doubt" where she plays the mother of a black boy in a parochial school is taken aside by the nun who is the principal (played by Meryl Streep) and is "concerned" about the relationship between the teacher/coach / priest and the boy.

Altho I haven't yet seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom I am confident that Viola earned her fame as an actress. I haven't seen Frances McD.in her movie and I'm being unfair to her, I am sure.

Viola Davis is so wonderful. I was looking forward to seeing her get best actress. I am so sad that she hasn't.

23 replies, 598 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Somebody explain to me why Viola Davis didn't win the Oscar last night? (Original post)
CTyankee Apr 26 OP
jcgoldie Apr 26 #1
CTyankee Apr 26 #14
madaboutharry Apr 26 #2
CTyankee Apr 26 #15
madaboutharry Apr 26 #17
Auggie Apr 26 #3
ProudMNDemocrat Apr 26 #9
frazzled Apr 26 #4
CTyankee Apr 26 #16
cinematicdiversions Apr 26 #5
PJMcK Apr 26 #6
CTyankee Apr 26 #18
PJMcK Apr 26 #19
CTyankee Apr 26 #23
samnsara Apr 26 #7
Aristus Apr 26 #8
FakeNoose Apr 26 #10
Fiendish Thingy Apr 26 #11
ironflange Apr 26 #21
GumboYaYa Apr 26 #12
frazzled Apr 26 #20
GumboYaYa Apr 26 #22
Ocelot II Apr 26 #13

Response to CTyankee (Original post)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 10:12 AM

1. Davis is a great actress but...

How can you say she should have won if you admittedly have not seen either performance?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:02 PM

14. I have great admiration for the way she took on that scene with Streep.

And Streep is one of her biggest boosters in the industry. She kinda stole the scene from Streep, also.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 10:26 AM

2. Nomadland is a great film.

Frances McDormand made you feel the emotions of the main character Fern in every scene.

Reply to this post

Response to madaboutharry (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:03 PM

15. I know. She's a fabulous actress. Also, maybe they felt that it was her "turn."

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #15)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:13 PM

17. This is her 3rd Best Actress award.

She won for Fargo in 1996 and for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri in 2017.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 10:28 AM

3. Davis should have won it. But IMO people don't vote for a singular performance.

Oscar voters vote emotionally and want to reward a career, not a singular performance. That's why Hopkins won as well (even though both and McDormand had previously won for Silence of the Lambs and Fargo).

Oscar voting seldom makes sense.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 12:27 PM

9. Frances McDormand also won 3 years ago for 3 Billboards in Ebbing

She is a very good actress.

Viola Davis is great too. She won Supporting a number of years ago for FENCES.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 10:33 AM

4. If you didn't see the movie

Why would you even have an opinion?

I saw the movie. She was great. So was Frances McDormand, in Nomadland. Completely different roles, however.

Who really cares who won the Oscar? There is no such thing as “best.” There’s just a lot of “good.” And someone gets more votes for prom queen.

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:08 PM

16. Personal taste is why, altho I like McDormand a lot, too.

And Davis was so wonderful in "Doubt." You've got to admit that stealing a scene from Meryl Streep is pretty wonderful!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 11:01 AM

5. Glen Close is the one who was robbed

I am glad to see Hopkins win, however.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 11:05 AM

6. A few thoughts

First, you have to be a member of the Academy to vote for the Oscars.

Second, you're supposed to view the films that you vote for. The Academy makes this fairly simple and screening videos have been available for decades. In pre-covid times, some movie theaters would provide free tickets for Academy members. If you haven't seen a movie, then you are not qualified to vote in that category. It's an honor system and many (most?) members respect the system.

Third, no one cares what you and I, the general public, thinks about the movies or the people behind the films. They only care if you buy a ticket or pay for the video or pay for the stream. Movies are a big business and they want our money. Period.

Fourth, the Academy Awards don't really reflect artistry. A casual glance at the nominees and winners make this this pellucidly clear. The Oscars, like all the other awards shows, are simply a commercial to get the public to buy tickets.

Lastly, Viola Davis will be fine and she'll continue to be in movies. I'm sure that she appreciates your fandom.

Sorry to be so blunt and a little cynical but over 40 years in the entertainment business has taught me a few real-life lessons and lots of facts.

Reply to this post

Response to PJMcK (Reply #6)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:13 PM

18. I have to laugh. My daughter works for Warner Bros. She manages their Costume Department.

That studio has a costume museum, which I visited when I was there a couple of years ago. It was there that I got my Oscar...well, there was a young man there who asked if you would like to hold an Oscar! I said yes and he handed it to me (in a little cloth). I had my daughter take a photo with me holding the Oscar. Even for a few seconds it was a super cool moment. They are heavy!

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #18)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 02:32 PM

19. Great story!

Which category did you fantasize winning?

Reply to this post

Response to PJMcK (Reply #19)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 04:09 PM

23. I was too dazed to think. Later I showed the photo with my cleaning lady and she gave me the

funniest look and said "What did you win an Oscar for?" I cracked up and confessed that it was
a real Oscar but it was just for fun. If you ever get a chance and are in Hollywood you should go to the Warner Bros. Costume Museum. WB has been in business for over 100 years. This museum had Ingrid Bergman's suit at the end of Casablanca when Bogart says "here's looking at you, kid" and also the costumes from My Fair Lady.

It's a super cool experience, especially for oldsters like me!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 11:10 AM

7. i quit giving the oscars my time when brokeback mtn lost

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 11:16 AM

8. I used to enjoy watching Viola Davis. She's a gifted actress.

But I had to stop watching when I realized that her idea of “intensity” meant talking slowly through gritted teeth. She overuses the schtick, and it gets old quickly.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 12:40 PM

10. Viola Davis and Frances McDormand are both wonderful and deserving

I wish they could have both won the Oscar. Why can't they acknowledge ties?
I don't know, but it doesn't seem fair.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 12:43 PM

11. Meryl Streep has lost more times than she has won, and she has three Oscars for acting

Only Katherine Hepburn and now, Frances McDormand share that accomplishment.

Viola Davis has won once, and been nominated a few other times.

That’s the way the Oscar cookie crumbles...it’s not fair or predictable.

Reply to this post

Response to Fiendish Thingy (Reply #11)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 03:09 PM

21. Remember, Babe Ruth struck out 1330 times

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 01:26 PM

12. I felt like the whole cast of Ma Rainey acted the film like a play and not a film.

They overacted a bit. It may have translated better on the big screen but I had to watch on my TV. I watched all the nominated films and never understood why the actors from Ma Rainey were considered locks for the Oscars for the lead roles. The performances were good but not best of the year in my opinion.

There were times in The Father when Anthony Hopkins turned me into a sobbing puddle. He put everything in that role. I was not surprised he won the award.

I was actually pulling for Carey Mulligan in the female lead Oscar. But that one was a real toss up.

I was surprised we had so many great roles and so many great movies this year.

Reply to this post

Response to GumboYaYa (Reply #12)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 03:03 PM

20. Perhaps because it was a theatrical play

That doesn’t always translate well to the screen. The kind of dialogue that plays well from the stage does not work for the intimacy of film. I often find it awkward. But I am not a theater person.

I would have liked Carey Mulligan to win as well. Did you see her in the recent film The Dig? She’s in that too, with Ralph Fiennes. It’s very good. Streaming on Netflix, I think.

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #20)

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 03:37 PM

22. I think that is right.

The adaption to a screenplay could have been better.

I will definitely watch her new movie. I lover her work. She totally carried Promising Young Woman.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 26, 2021, 01:42 PM

13. I haven't seen her movie, but I did see Nomadland,

and Frances McDormand was wonderful. I do intend to watch Ma Rainey soon, and I'm sure Viola Davis was excellent, too, but without having seen both I can't offer an opinion. And anyhow, when there's that much excellence and you have to pick just one, obviously not everyone will agree with the choice.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread