HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » He's so cute!

Fri Nov 29, 2019, 10:08 PM

He's so cute!

Found Frozen and Almost Perfectly Preserved in Permafrost, this 18,000-Year-Old Puppy Could Be a Huge Deal

The DNA of an exquisitely preserved puppy found in Siberia doesn’t appear to fit the profile of a dog or a wolf, which means the specimen might be something in between.

The frozen puppy, found near Yakutsk in eastern Siberia, was just two months old when it died, reports CNN. Scientists from the Centre for Palaeogenetics—a joint project between Stockholm University and the Swedish Museum of Natural History—used radiocarbon dating on its rib bone to place its brief time on Earth to 18,000 years ago, during the tail end of the last Ice Age.

The level of preservation is unreal, with the puppy still exhibiting intact teeth, nose, and fur. Scientists were able to extract DNA from the specimen, allowing them to confirm the pup’s sex as male. It has since been named “Dogor,” which means “friend” in Yakutian.

https://gizmodo.com/found-frozen-and-almost-perfectly-preserved-in-permafro-1840093915

Look at that li'l nose!

4 replies, 971 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply He's so cute! (Original post)
BuffaloJackalope Nov 29 OP
Collimator Nov 29 #1
LeftInTX Nov 29 #2
Bayard Nov 30 #3
Fla Dem Nov 30 #4

Response to BuffaloJackalope (Original post)

Fri Nov 29, 2019, 10:49 PM

1. If the little guy represents. . .

an interim stage between wolf and fully domesticated dog, then maybe the word, "dogor" is where the word dog came from.

What am I saying? That's crazy. The word, dog, is different in all kinds of languages. It would be interesting to know if there are any connections between the words for "wolf" and "dog" in the world's languages.

With the emergence of domesticated foxes in Russia after a half century or so of breeding, I find myself wondering what that breed should be called. I was thinking "fog". Then I saw a show set in the UK and heard them referring to cats as "moggies" and it struck my that "foggie" would be a cute name for the new pet foxes as well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 29, 2019, 11:42 PM

2. I can't believe how well preserved he is!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 30, 2019, 01:02 AM

3. 18,000 years old.....

That's amazing.

No siblings? No mama?

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 30, 2019, 09:08 AM

4. Gosh what a sentimentalist I am. Pup died 18,000 years ago and

I'm feeling sad he died at only 2 month old.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread