HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » what do y'all know about ...

Sun Nov 10, 2019, 08:12 PM

what do y'all know about the rainbow family? burners?

met several folks this weekend who do burning man, and the mich regional burn.
several were rainbow family members, others just deadheads.

seemed like some pretty interesting and sweet folks.
i have heard of family, but dont really know much about them.

6 replies, 349 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply what do y'all know about the rainbow family? burners? (Original post)
mopinko Nov 10 OP
hlthe2b Nov 10 #1
mopinko Nov 10 #3
samnsara Nov 10 #2
MontanaMama Nov 10 #4
The Figment Nov 11 #5
mopinko Nov 11 #6

Response to mopinko (Original post)

Sun Nov 10, 2019, 08:20 PM

1. Rainbow family has been around for decades. They have meet-ups in state and sometimes

National Parks, which for the locals are often challenging because they don't always plan ahead for required public health & safety issues--if you get my drift-- nor the required permits/inspections. That said, I think they are not known for having problems with disruption, but generally just more a latter-day peaceful friendly hippie/communal vibe. Those I've met certainly were friendly and yes, quite interesting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 10, 2019, 09:18 PM

3. based on a couple snippets of the convo, i figured this.

that's pretty much what i knew about them, too.
and i can say for a fact that they claim to have the hostel ethos of leaving no trace, and no moop, and all that, but they left my kitchen a m.e.s.s.

honestly, i was glad they felt comfortable enough to make a mess in my house. i really wanted them to feel at home.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 10, 2019, 09:14 PM

2. yeah I heard that name a lot way back when

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 10, 2019, 11:49 PM

4. The rainbow family comes through

Montana every couple years for their gathering. I wish I could say they left a rainbow in their wake. The last few visits here in Big Sky Country they left a mess in our national forest of litter and human waste. Worst of all, they adopt pets along their journey...mostly puppies and dogs that they leave behind as well. It’s so upsetting. We all cringe when we hear they’re coming.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 12:19 AM

5. As an unofficial member of the Deadhead/Rainbow community

We are a mixed bunch...
There are some real gems of people who call themselves Rainbow, they really work hard to do their best to make change for the planet and all its people, the environment, education, social work,children, one would be surprised at who called themselves "Rainbow ".
Then there are the "Drainbows"
These are those that got on the bus just to take advantage of the "Rainbow way of Life" the free food,money,drugs,in general a way to get thru life and not have to put much back into it. You find a lot of people who want to "share you out of everything you own" at both Rainbow Gatherings and at Grateful Dead style music events. These folk make the rest of us look really bad.

Check out Rainbow dot org for a good bit of Information on the family, gathering info,Rainbow history... read the Rap 101.

Reply to this post

Response to The Figment (Reply #5)

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 10:02 AM

6. drainbows.

i love it. i dont think any of these folks were that.
most of them have good day jobs. dont travel that much any more. content to be burners twice a year and catch the local shows.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread