HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » A quick note about family...

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 02:56 PM

A quick note about family pets and fireworks

I don't have a dog but I do have cats. The one cat loves thunderstorms but hates the noise from the vacuum sweeper. The other cat hates thunderstorms but doesn't mind the noise from the vacuum sweeper.

For both the public and neighborhood fireworks, I turn on both TV's, close all windows and drapes, turn on the central air unit and set-up floor fans in various places all for noise blockers. Even though I set all these noise blockers up, the cat that hates thunderstorms ends up being an all night lap kitty on July 4th.

Some (hopefully) helpful tips that I've found online for homes with dogs:

1. Exercise them during the day before the loud festivities begin.

2. Make sure they have time to eat and go potty before dusk.

3. Keep them occupied during the fireworks. Hand out treats and bring out a new toy. Or maybe give them a toy that has treats inside it.

4. Use a Thundershirt on them. Some websites that I was reading claimed wrapping an Ace bandage around their midsection would be as effective as a Thundershirt.

5. The veterinarian may have relaxer to give to your beloved family pet. It won't take away their fear but it will help relax them.

6. Some dogs feel safe in crate. It may be helpful to leave the door open on the crate so that they can come and go as they please. Just don't forget to put a blanket and a few toys in the crate.

If anyone else has helpful tips to share, any insight is welcomed.

Good luck tonight, Pet Parents. I hope everyone has a safe 4th of July!

15 replies, 560 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Niagara (Original post)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 03:10 PM

1. Let them have the most insulated area of the house... My last dog would sit in the bathtub in

the most interior part of the house. That's where she wanted to be and once I finally learned that all the comforting in the world could not truly console her, I let her go there, turned out the lights, made sure it was cool and gave her her space. When it was over, she'd come out and seek me out for her "cuddles"...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 03:24 PM

3. This is a helpful tip

Your dog knows her comfort level. As long as she feels safe in the bathtub that's all that matters.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 03:13 PM

2. My neighbors go overboard, every single year, and my cat really hates that noise.

And, they shoot the damn fireworks right over my yard! I won't confront the home owner because he's very unstable and has a horrible temper, and it's a waste of time trying to report this, as he works in local law enforcement. Go figure.

SO, this year I am setting up a brand new, high spraying oscillating sprinkler, right over the section of my property that gets bombarded. I'm hoping it helps because every year I worry they will set my house or garden barn on fire.

Tomorrow I will try to get up, pre dawn, and collect all of the debris to deposit back on their lawn. Of course, that all depends on how my poor broken toe feels, by tomorrow. I might need to be able to make a quick run, back to my house.

Reply to this post

Response to Siwsan (Reply #2)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 03:35 PM

5. Sounds like a nightmare of a neighbor with

No respect for other peoples property. Please give your cat "kitty kisses" from me.

I'm sending quick healing vibes to your poor broken toe.

Reply to this post

Response to Niagara (Reply #5)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 03:38 PM

6. Thank you!

It has been an uncomfortable day, but there were things that just had to be taken care of.

This particular family is the only one, in the entire neighborhood, that is a problem. They have a big back yard that faces parking lots, so why they don't set off the fireworks there is a mystery.

I was hoping for rain, tonight, but it disappeared from the forecast.

Reply to this post

Response to Siwsan (Reply #6)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:18 PM

9. You're welcome, Siwsan

There's always that one bad neighbor in that one neighborhood that no one can deal with.

Here's hoping for rain for you!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 03:27 PM

4. We draped a card table with a sheet for our dog.

We each got partway in his cave with him. We celebrated each July 4 and Jan 1 with our rear ends poking out from under the sheet. We have friends who designed a special thunder/fireworks spot when they designed their house.

Reply to this post

Response to Thirties Child (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:11 PM

8. I chuckled out loud while picturing this scenario

Although I'm sure he/she feels safe with human parents in the doggie cave too

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:10 PM

7. My dog was lost for almost a month when she bolted last New Years Eve.

She's terrified of loud noises and wants to hide in the bedroom. I let her out to do her business well before midnight but someone jumped the gun and set off a barrage of fireworks early. She jumped the fence and ran, and was lost for a month before someone finally spotted her and called.

I thought she was dead and it was a shock to hear that she had managed to survive on her own for so long. When I got her home the poor thing was a wrack of bones from living rough. It took months to treat her skin infection and tender paws, get rid of worms, and get her gaining back the weight she lost. I'm nervous about tonight and she's not going outside after dark without her leash on.

Reply to this post

Response to procon (Reply #7)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:34 PM

11. What a terrible ordeal for the both of you

I'm happy to hear that she was able to get back home to you.

I would be nervous about tonight too but she should be alright with a leash on. Good luck, Procon!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 04:26 PM

10. My late cat, Lucy, totally ignored all fireworks...

...my late partner and I would sit in our living room and watch the fireworks across the woods; we had a great view. Lucy would just wander around us and act as if nothing was happening, totally oblivious to the noise. Even the neighborhood firebugs wouldn't phase her. But if Debbie--my partner--would leave the house, even to get the mail, Lucy would howl and leave a tattered old rag toy wherever she felt Debbie would feel the most shame at seeing it. Lucy had her priorities straight...

Reply to this post

Response to First Speaker (Reply #10)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 05:16 PM

13. It's amazing how they all have their own unique personalities

Our one cat shows his displeasure when his human dad leaves for work. He takes it out on me by attacking my ankles and this means that I better take my shoes off for him right now. Once I get my shoes off, he thumps my shoes with his back paws. After he's done thumping and beating them up, he buries his face in my stinky shoes and falls asleep. He doesn't always keep his face buried in my shoes either, sometimes he uses them as pillows while sleeping.

I loved reading this story. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 05:15 PM

12. Thank you for this post! It's very important to those of us who have pets

Reply to this post

Response to ailsagirl (Reply #12)

Thu Jul 4, 2019, 05:24 PM

14. You're very welcome, Ailsagirl

Reply to this post