HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Net neutrality already me...

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 12:43 AM

Net neutrality already messing with my loading. Damn.

I just heard on the radio that it won't effect people overnight.

Already, I see things loading slowly and other things trying to open up that I have to kill.

I wasn't slow yesterday, and right now, it's the middle of the night, so, sites aren't overloaded.

I think they're coming for us and they're not taking no for an answer.

6 replies, 386 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Net neutrality already messing with my loading. Damn. (Original post)
lindysalsagal Jun 2018 OP
PoliticAverse Jun 2018 #1
chillfactor Jun 2018 #2
The Velveteen Ocelot Jun 2018 #3
tableturner Jun 2018 #4
radical noodle Jun 2018 #5
Fla Dem Jun 2018 #6

Response to lindysalsagal (Original post)

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 12:50 AM

1. "and other things trying to open up that I have to kill." - that's not a "net neutrality" issue...

that sounds like a website issue and possible adware infection.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 12:52 AM

2. so far no problems for me.....

but I am expecting it down the line.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 01:06 AM

3. Nobody has done anything yet.

Everything is working just fine for me. You might have a local problem with your ISP or your wifi.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 01:13 AM

4. Post hoc ergo propter hoc......

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 02:08 AM

5. Nothing has changed here

Maybe you should run Malwarebytes.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 13, 2018, 10:08 AM

6. Good article on Net Neutrality Repeal. Written so I even understand what it means.

The Net Neutrality Repeal Is Official. Here’s How That Could Affect You.

By Keith Collins
June 11, 2018

Snip>>>>>>>

What’s everyone worried about?

Many consumer advocates argued that once the rules were scrapped, broadband providers would begin selling the internet in bundles, not unlike cable television packages. Want access to Facebook and Twitter? Under a bundling system, getting on those sites could require paying for a premium social media package.

Another major concern is that consumers could suffer from pay-to-play deals. Without rules prohibiting paid prioritization, a fast lane could be occupied by big internet and media companies, as well as affluent households, while everyone else would be left in the slow lane.

Some small-business owners are worried, too, that industry giants could pay to get an edge and leave them on an unfair playing field.

E-commerce start-ups have feared that they could end up on the losing end of paid prioritization, with their websites and services loading more slowly than those run by internet behemoths. Remote workers of all kinds, including freelancers and franchisees in the so-called gig economy, could similarly face higher costs to do their jobs from home.

“Internet service providers now have the power to block websites, throttle services and censor online content,” Jessica Rosenworcel, a Democratic member of the commission who voted against the repeal, said in an emailed statement Monday. “They will have the right to discriminate and favor the internet traffic of those companies with whom they have pay-for-play arrangements and the right to consign all others to a slow and bumpy road.”

More:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/technology/net-neutrality-repeal.html

What I'm encouraged by is the individual states' actions. If enough states impose restrictions, it may become too cumbersome for the communication companies to implement.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread