HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Judas Priest Guitarist Gl...

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:13 PM

Judas Priest Guitarist Glenn Tipton Steps Back From Tour Due to Parkinson's

Judas Priest Guitarist Glenn Tipton Steps Back From Tour Due to Parkinson's

Judas Priest announced that its longtime guitarist, Glenn Tipton, is taking a step back from touring due to his battle with Parkinson's disease. The heavy metal legends will embark on their Firepower Tour in March.

"Ten years ago Glenn was diagnosed to have the onset of the early stages of Parkinson's," the band said in a statement. "From then until recently Glenn has lived his life as the great heavy metal guitar player he has always been, maintaining by his own definition a standard of quality and performance that is incredibly important.

"Right now Glenn is able to play and perform some of the Priest songs that are less challenging but due to the nature of Parkinson's progression he wants to let you all know that he won't be touring as such."

Tipton added, in a personal statement: "I want everyone to know that it's vital that the Judas Priest tour go ahead and that I am not leaving the band - it's simply that my role has changed. I don't rule out the chance to go on stage as and when I feel able to blast out some Priest! So at some point in the not too distant future I'm really looking forward to seeing all of our wonderful metal maniacs once again.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/judas-priests-glenn-tipton-wont-tour-due-to-parkinsons-w516587

7 replies, 290 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judas Priest Guitarist Glenn Tipton Steps Back From Tour Due to Parkinson's (Original post)
Miles Archer Feb 2018 OP
mr_lebowski Feb 2018 #1
jmowreader Feb 2018 #4
OriginalGeek Feb 2018 #2
Miles Archer Feb 2018 #5
OriginalGeek Feb 2018 #6
Iggo Feb 2018 #3
shenmue Feb 2018 #7

Response to Miles Archer (Original post)

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:20 PM

1. Bummer, man ... KK can't do it all by himself too many intertwined guitars in a lot of JP songs

Wonder who they'd get to replace him for the tour?

Best wishes Glenn, hoping for a cure for ya!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 04:24 PM

4. KK hasnt been in Priest since 2011

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:37 PM

2. Wow that's too bad

First they lost KK Downing and now Glenn...I'm just not sure how Judas Priesty it can be without the twin guitar attack of Tipton/Downing. I've only heard one of the new songs and it was better than some of their previous newer material but man, I will sure miss the old days of Judas Priest. Seen them many times from the Defenders of the Faith tour on...

Reply to this post

Response to OriginalGeek (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 08:09 PM

5. This is where I feel the loss...right here.

"Victim of Changes," the "Live At Seminole Hard Rock" DVD that came with the "British Steel" anniversary reissue.

The 8 minute mark...the band has played this tune a lot of times, but the precision, intensity and brevity of Tipton's solo on this one more than adequately illustrates his contribution to the band.

Read a nice quote from Halford earlier today. When Tipton discussed his decision with the band, he said "It's all about the BAND, what's best for the BAND," and Halford said "I told him "NO, it's all about what's best for YOU," but that shows you what kind of heart he has."

Reply to this post

Response to Miles Archer (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:38 PM

6. gat DANG!

looks like i got a 30th anniversary set to buy...

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 12, 2018, 02:27 PM

3. Yikes!

That blows.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:53 PM

7. Applause

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread