HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Romney Gives The Best Ana...

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 03:43 AM

Romney Gives The Best Analysis Ever Of Trump's Stupid Rallies - Ring of Fire

Republican Senator Mitt Romney this past week gave what is possibly the best description of what Donald Trump's rallies are really all about. And he said that these rallies are a lot like professional wrestling. Oh, they're certainly entertaining, but it's all fake. Nothing's real. Here's a quote from Romney, from an appearance on state of the union with Jake Tapper on CNN. Here in the US there's a growing recognition that this is a bit like WWF, that it's entertaining, but it's not real. And I know people want to say, yeah, they believe in the big lie in some cases. But I think people recognize that it's a lot of show and bombast, but it's going nowhere. The election is over. It was fair. Let's move on. Now Romney's absolutely right about that. You know, you can look at Donald Trump's appearances in the rallies that he's held recently, and you can see that, yes, this guy really is out there acting like a professional wrestler.

You know, he's making these outlandish claims, playing to the camera, turning to his side, looking around like, hey, you love me. You love me, yeah. But there's no substance. The entire performance is exactly that, a performance. And it's worth pointing out too, Mitt Romney is not the first person to make this observation. There've been plenty on the left that have talked about basically all of politics at this point, becoming more like professional wrestling. It's an idea that I've actually interviewed Chauncey DeVega from salon.com about several times over the last few years, because that's what we're looking at with politics today. And it's not just limited to Donald Trump. We are seeing this evolve. Politics is no longer about ideas or issues. It's about trashing your opponent. It's about working a crowd. It's about going out there getting people all riled up over quite literally nothing in many cases and making your opponent look worse than you are.

That's what politics has become. You know, the, the little tour that Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene went on. That's what we witnessed there. The tweets coming from Ted Cruz. That's what we're looking at. All of these politicians going after one another bickering back and forth on social media. That's what we're seeing here. Very few of them are talking politics. AOC is talking politics and policy. Bernie Sanders is. Ilhan Omar is. But there's too few people doing that. Ro Khanna certainly is too, but we need more. You know, you can't just rely on a couple good politicians with good ideas versus a couple hundred who want the entire thing to be like professional wrestling. Now it didn't start with Trump. It didn't end when Trump left, but he certainly did put the whole politics as professional wrestling on steroids. And he's now created the blueprint that other politicians mostly on the right are trying to emulate today.

16 replies, 3538 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney Gives The Best Analysis Ever Of Trump's Stupid Rallies - Ring of Fire (Original post)
Rhiannon12866 Jul 2021 OP
oldsoftie Jul 2021 #1
Bernardo de La Paz Jul 2021 #2
Rhiannon12866 Jul 2021 #4
Warpy Jul 2021 #15
Duppers Jul 2021 #3
Rhiannon12866 Jul 2021 #5
Duppers Jul 2021 #6
reACTIONary Jul 2021 #7
Captain Zero Jul 2021 #8
reACTIONary Jul 2021 #10
erronis Jul 2021 #13
mdbl Jul 2021 #9
empedocles Jul 2021 #14
rickford66 Jul 2021 #11
magicguido Jul 2021 #12
Blue Owl Jul 2021 #16

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Original post)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 05:43 AM

1. Thats an insult to all Pro wrestlers!

EVERYTHING about Trump is fake.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 05:46 AM

2. Thank you for a large summary. Much appreciated, since I read much more than I watch. . . . nt

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 05:54 AM

4. Thanks!

I always include the "captions," long or short, since they do explain what the video's about and offer additional information. And they usually give you an idea about whether you want to watch the video.

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 12:53 PM

15. Dunno, they're both highly choreographed morality plays

aimed at unsophisticated people, although pro wrestling has more sophisticated fans than the culture war tours do.

Eventually I hope people are going to figure this out like they eventually figured Sarah Palin out, that it's a star studded lollapalooza tour but with no talent whatsoever, just right wing Christian bands doing pallid imitations of real music.

IOW this too shall pass, as anyone who's ever been constipated knows.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 05:49 AM

3. Very good analysis!

Thanks, Rhiannon.

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 05:55 AM

5. Thanks!

I figured that Romney was okay since, like Steve Schmidt, he's been a reliable critic of TFG.

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #5)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 06:00 AM

6. Zactly. 👍

Reply to this post

Response to reACTIONary (Reply #7)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 06:20 AM

8. But, it shields a darker dangerous fascism

Where they will go if they can get there.

Reply to this post

Response to Captain Zero (Reply #8)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 06:24 AM

10. True. "performative" does not mean....

"benign"

Reply to this post

Response to Captain Zero (Reply #8)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 07:27 AM

13. From this morning's Heather Cox Richardson: Mussollini and the fascist racial hierarchies

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/july-5-2021

Biden’s speech recalled that of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on June 5, 1944, upon the fall of Rome during World War II. It was Italian leader Benito Mussolini who articulated the ideals of fascism after World War I, envisioning a hierarchical world in which economic and political leaders worked together to lead the masses forward by welding them into a nationalistic, militaristic force.

In his 1944 speech, FDR was careful to explain to Americans how they were different from the Italian fascists. He talked about “Nazi overlords” and “fascist puppets.” Then, in contrast to the fascists’ racial hierarchies, FDR made a point of calling Americans’ attention to the fact that the men who defeated the Italian fascists were Americans from every walk of life.

And then he turned to how fascism treated its people. “In Italy, the people have lived so long under the corrupt rule of Mussolini that in spite of the tinsel at the top—you have seen the pictures of it—their economic conditions have grown steadily worse. Our troops have found starvation, malnutrition, disease, a deteriorating education, a lower public health, all byproducts of the fascist misrule.”

To rebuild Italy, FDR said, the troops had to start from the bottom. “[W]e have had to give them bread to replace that which was stolen out of their mouths,” he said. “We have had to make it possible for the Italians to raise and use their local crops. We have had to help them cleanse their schools of fascist trappings….”

He outlined how Americans had anticipated the need to relieve the people starved by the fascists, and had made plans to ship food grown by the “magnificent ability and energy of the American people,” in ships they had constructed, over thousands of miles of water. Some of us may let our thoughts run to the financial cost of it,” he said, but “we hope that this relief will be an investment for the future, an investment that will pay dividends by eliminating fascism, by ending any Italian desires to start another war of aggression in the future….”

FDR was emphasizing the power of the people, of democracy, to combat fascism not only abroad but also at home, where it had attracted Americans frustrated by the seeming inability of democracy to counter the Depression. They longed for a single strong leader to fix everything. Other Americans, horrified by FDR’s use of the government to regulate business, provide a basic social safety net, and promote infrastructure, wanted to take the nation back to the 1920s and in so doing had begun to flirt with fascism as well.

As he celebrated the triumph over democracy in Italy, he was also urging Americans to value and protect it at home.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 06:23 AM

9. I miss the early days in pro wrestling when

it was so obviously faked that none of them would do anything to even get a minor bruise and we would just sit there and laugh. I quit watching when fans started to act like it was a serious sport.

Reply to this post

Response to mdbl (Reply #9)

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 09:28 AM

14. In the early days there was Antonino Rocca. The original 'slingshot' artiste

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 07:16 AM

11. A pro wrestler beat the crap out of Geraldo Rivera.

Actually, that was quite satisfying.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 07:24 AM

12. Exactly.

It’s Garbage

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 6, 2021, 01:10 PM

16. Romney's too old-school for today's GQP zombies

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread