HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Last Week Tonight with Jo...

Mon Jun 29, 2020, 02:36 AM

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - Coronavirus IX: Evictions

With evictions on the rise due to coronavirus, John Oliver discusses the long struggle with housing in the US, why itís gotten worse in recent months, and how to prevent an impending crisis.

2 replies, 274 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - Coronavirus IX: Evictions (Original post)
Rhiannon12866 Jun 29 OP
Newest Reality Jun 29 #1
Rhiannon12866 Jun 29 #2

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Original post)

Mon Jun 29, 2020, 08:36 AM

1. I know...

I know what it is like to not have a place. The shock and stress that people who have not been through it will be mentally overwhelming to go with the other problems they face.

First, there is the stress of worrying about the impending eviction. Then there is the actual experience of having your things put out to the curb, (and being financially responsible for disposal unless you have a place to put it) and then, you find yourself in a new and frightening world of homelessness and survival.

This will impact us all in some way because you have to consider what having millions of people--adults, families, children and seniors) hitting the streets suddenly will be like.

We have no adequate services in place to deal with that, as well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Newest Reality (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 29, 2020, 08:51 AM

2. This truly could become a nightmare as John pointed out

They need to extend the moratorium on evictions for the duration of this pandemic. But we know we can always depend on the Republicans to do the worst possible thing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread