HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Body cam footage of Raysh...

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 06:04 AM

Body cam footage of Rayshard Brooks' death shows calm, then chaos: GRAPHIC

June 14, 2020
Atlanta Journal-Constitution

15 replies, 1645 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Jersey Devlin (Original post)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 06:52 AM

1. Ok so if he had the taser and was running away why was it necessary to STOP him NOW?

Just as many police departments around the country have policies to cut off high-speed chases to "protect" innocent people from being hurt. Why not cut off foot pursuit until the adrenaline level on both sides wanes. Let the fight or flight situation cool down.

Bring more manpower to the situation and do as they do in high-speed chases. Put out an APB on the subject.

You have his car his driver's license. He has a taser that to the best of common knowledge is a one-shot weapon until it is "reloaded". Secondly, all police forces consider the taser as a NON-lethal weapon. So at the distance, he was shot from how was he an immediate threat to that cop. There was already back up on the scene.

The officer in foot pursuit wasn't in immediate danger and alone. The suspect had one thought on his mind. RUNAWAY. Run as far away as possible. How was he a threat to ANYONE else at that point?

I'm no expert but it seems to me there was a chance that the suspect might in fact have realized that his only real option was to turn himself in. Hopefully with an attorney in tow.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 07:03 AM

2. Why couldn't they just let him walk home?

Maybe follow him make sure he got there safe. Issue a summons for drunk in public?

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 07:06 AM

3. At the outset, I was concerned they may have been too hasty firing the cop

I believe in due process, etc.

Having seen that video, I'm not very concerned any more.

There was no need to shoot him dead. None. The lives of the officers and the lives of others were not in any eminent danger.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 07:08 AM

4. The suspect seems to begin resisting at the point the police try to handcuff him.

After the Floyd murder, I think most black men would be afraid of being handcuffed and at the mercy of police.

Reply to this post

Response to sop (Reply #4)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 09:52 AM

7. Why was necessary to handcuff him?

I agree, that was the point that it went bad.

Reply to this post

Response to MiniMe (Reply #7)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 11:16 AM

14. Cops always seem to handcuff young black men during every encounter. They claim it's for their

own protection, presumably because they view all young black men as potential deadly threats. That's how they're trained, apparently. It's systemic racism.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 08:34 AM

5. I'd like to hear from other DUers about their experience getting stopped for drunk driving.

In my small town it is not uncommon for the cops to just give the people a ride home, get the car the next day. That said there are several cases of drunks killing themselves by driving into trees and one of a drunk driver hitting a cyclist and killing her.

That cop used the taser on the drunk during the initial scuffle...why he even had his pistol drawn as they ran after him is beyond me.

Reply to this post

Response to rgbecker (Reply #5)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 09:49 AM

6. The courtesy is only extended to white people.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 10:01 AM

8. He was not operating his motor vehicle. He was resting in private. They had his name and ID

Even if he is “resisting” out of fear; there is no reason whatsoever to shoot him dead. Despicable.
This is whites trying to control the lives of Blacks.

Reply to this post

Response to magicguido (Reply #8)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 10:10 AM

9. I understand where you are going with this...but...

He did drive, intoxicated into Wendy's...sobriety test showed intoxication level...so the arrest was reasonable....They, the cops could let him just run off.., issue a bench warrant..he was not driving, no outstanding warrants, etc...they had his car/property and probably drives license...

Bottom line...the cop who shot him...he really hated loosing an arrest subject, getting away bad enough to shoot and kill him. Like it was a sport event..

Reply to this post

Response to FarPoint (Reply #9)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 10:36 AM

11. In this climate, a contrary opinion is not safe.

Reply to this post

Response to Evergreen Emerald (Reply #11)

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 10:56 AM

12. Probably not.. your right..

That said...how can reasonable changes ocurr if open conversation is not happening....Drunk driving is a serious social problem too...

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 10:15 AM

10. How many times have the police murdered someone on camera this year? I've literally lost count.

Every good cop in America will tell you there is a clear line between lawful killing and unlawful murder and every good cop in America will call this a murder.

It's not even debatable.

Nothing can justify the deadly force in the linked video.

It's absolutely unjustifiable.

You can't even use pretzel logic.

Well he resisted arrest and took my taser and as he was running away I thought he had a gun because he was probably high on PCP and so I only shot him in the back because I was protecting the community. Besides all that you know that tasers frequently kill people, right? I know we call them non-lethal but I have a heart condition so if I was shot with a taser there was a 3-5% chance I could have died! Our non-lethal weapon became a lethal weapon the instant it was in his hand, and so deadly force was appropriate.

Starting to feel like a broken record here but... the police don't respect the law as it applies to them, they consider themselves above the law, they consider themselves the law itself rather than sworn servants of law, and they are not the least bit concerned about beating, torturing, or murdering someone in broad daylight, in public, with witnesses watching, and on camera. It's reality folks. Let's deal with it.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 11:10 AM

13. Totally uncalled for shooting.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 14, 2020, 11:33 AM

15. He should not have resisted arrest, scuffled with officers or run off.

I sure as hell wouldn't in this situation and I'm white yet scared of the police myself. Everything he did gave them an excuse to shoot him under our present system.

It's not right and needs to change of course but that isn't much consolation to you or your loved ones when your dead.

Just to be clear here, I'm not in any way excusing or justifying the arresting officer(s) actions and I hope one or both are charged with murder based on what I see happening here. All I'm saying is until changes occur:

1. Don't back talk the police, they're just trying to put you in jail or worse.

2. For gawd's sake don't fight with them or run off like Mr. Brooks did. Live to fight the only way you have a chance of winning; by staying alive and using the power of the press and judicial system as fucked up as that is.

Your loved ones will thank you.

ps: I wonder whose camera it was way off to the side which captured the shooting?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread