HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » CBS News Praised For Repo...

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 07:22 AM

CBS News Praised For Report On Wealth Inequality, US 'Economic Pie,' Using Real American Pie

CBS This Morning. WEALTH INEQUALITY: The richest 1% controls more wealth now than at any time in more than 50 years. But what does wealth inequality really look like? The growing gap between rich and poor Americans is one of the U.S.’s biggest challenges. A recent survey found that over half the country thinks it’s a problem, though most people might not know exactly what wealth inequality looks like. Tony Dokoupil speaks to Americans to see if they know what their “share of the pie” looks like. Jan. 31, 2020.

- News Anchor Shows Americans Real Size of Wealth Gap—Using American Pie

A four minute video that aired on CBS Friday morning was praised for using slices of real pie to show the huge wealth gap in the U.S.—surprising passers-by who joined anchor Tony Dokoupil at a table set up at a mall in West Nyack, New York. In the video, Dokoupil asks passers-by to divvy a pie sliced into ten pieces onto plates for quintiles of the U.S. based on income, top 20%, next 20%, etc.

Even the most cynical participant didn't come close to the real amount—nine pieces for the top 20% of Americans and the bill for the lowest 20%. "This is a really clever way to make data accessible!" said Washington Post video journalist Sarah Parnass. Later in the segment, Dokoupil asks people at a yacht fair what they think of policies from 2020 Democratic presidential nomination hopefuls Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) that would narrow the wealth gap...
More, https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/01/watch-news-anchor-shows-americans-real-size-wealth-gap-using-american-pie

9 replies, 1678 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply CBS News Praised For Report On Wealth Inequality, US 'Economic Pie,' Using Real American Pie (Original post)
appalachiablue Feb 2020 OP
Sherman A1 Feb 2020 #1
appalachiablue Feb 2020 #2
Sherman A1 Feb 2020 #4
handmade34 Feb 2020 #3
llmart Feb 2020 #5
appalachiablue Feb 2020 #7
aggiesal Feb 2020 #6
Stellar Feb 2020 #8
appalachiablue Feb 2020 #9

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 08:15 AM

1. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 08:39 AM

2. Messaging is crucial, whatever it takes to make the point.

A great job by CBS News, although they didn't explore the 'why' of inequality. Next time, we'll see.

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 08:48 AM

4. Precisely

They did a great job in a easy to understand example. Yes, the why’s are also critical and hopefully that will follow, but this is a great start and frankly unexpected.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 08:42 AM

3. "I want a piece of the rich pie"

excellent analysis

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 10:04 AM

5. What was that quote from Rubio?

I didn't quite catch it, but if I'm hearing it right he said "haves and soon to haves?"

Someone help me out here. What does that even mean?

By the way, that wealthy boat show asswipe is just the type of propaganda the GOP puts out there - basically without the wealthy "entrepreneurs" (most of them are anything but that), the rest of us wouldn't be contributing anything. Fuck him.

Oh, and the lady who pointed towards the pie for those living in poverty struck home with me when she said, "This is where I grew up" meaning in poverty. That's where I grew up also.

Reply to this post

Response to llmart (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 09:16 PM

7. You got it as far as Rubio's comment. It's the myth that if you

work really hard, one day you'll be rich like the top. (But if you fail, it's on you. See Trickledown Econ 101.)

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 01:51 PM

6. Brilliant ...

And as you can see, the Greedy One Percent (GOP)
want nothing to do with a wealth tax, yet here in
California, Gov. Jerry Brown instituted a wealth tax
and we pretty much got rid of our debt.

Go figure.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 09:32 PM

8. The rich get more and more every year...

And they pay our congress-critters (Dems and Repubs) to make sure it stays that way. They have to make the rich give them a living wage. The rate they have been paying them is $7.50 an hour and then the rich try to shame them for taking welfare because they don't earn enough.

Reply to this post

Response to Stellar (Reply #8)

Sun Feb 2, 2020, 09:53 PM

9. This is 11th hour awareness, should have been done 10,

or even 20 years ago to inform people and try to make a difference. It's a very good effort though.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread