HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Chris Hayes' Live Format ...

Fri Oct 4, 2019, 11:58 PM

Chris Hayes' Live Format turns tRump and Co. into an audience's laughing stock.

I can see tRump losing his sh*t seeing people repeatedly laughing at his stupidity and actually cheering for his downfall.

Great format Chris Hayes!

12 replies, 1851 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chris Hayes' Live Format turns tRump and Co. into an audience's laughing stock. (Original post)
ffr Oct 4 OP
flibbitygiblets Oct 5 #1
lostnfound Oct 5 #2
KatyaR Oct 5 #3
Perseus Oct 5 #4
thesquanderer Oct 5 #5
Perseus Oct 5 #11
flibbitygiblets Oct 5 #6
ffr Oct 5 #7
Perseus Oct 5 #10
smirkymonkey Oct 5 #8
forgotmylogin Oct 5 #9
Perseus Oct 5 #12

Response to ffr (Original post)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 02:11 AM

1. I hope we see more of this format.

For me, it was nice to hear the spontaneous, collective responses of the audience. Hearing others observe the absurdity of the whole situation was kind of cathartic. Especially since I read that a fellow DU'er was in the audience!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to flibbitygiblets (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 07:31 AM

2. Also,it seems to energize his guests. Very positive, momentum building.

Tens of millions of similar conversations every day as one-on-one interactions. Showing that a whole group of people has similar judgments against the actions and corruption of this administration is powerful.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 09:44 AM

3. This is great, thanks for posting it!

I've never watched Chris before, but he lays this out very nicely.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 09:59 AM

4. I saw the entire show, and of course I have my opinion about it.

At first I said "they should not be laughing, this is not a funny situation we live, what is being discussed is a very corrupt behaviour that is putting the country in peril." I do cringe when Rachel, or any of the MSNBC hosts laugh at the stuff the creature or his minions do, and I do think we should laugh when he is out of office, but not now.

On the other hand, will the comedy format help people understand the veracity of the problems? Will it sink in through laughter or will be taken as a comedy show and forgotten sooner than it would be if a touch of panic, instead of laughter, was inserted in it. Panic and memes work for republicans, and we do need to panic as the days go on and we don't see the creature, Barr, McConnell, Pompeo, Giuliani in orange suits taking afternoon walks at the backyard of a prison.

I wonder if making comedy about the situation by a serious journalist is the way to go. I hope it has a positive outcome, but I do cringe when people laugh at stuff that should instead create some sort of panic.

Reply to this post

Response to Perseus (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 10:43 AM

5. Different approaches are good. They connect with different people in different ways.

Hayes, Colbert, Maddow, Cuomo, or whoever it is you like... We don't really need a dozen shows doing things the same way. And sometimes you can reach people better with "entertainment" than with "serious."

I thought this was an interesting approach, kind of like a newsier Colbert without the jokes, while still maintaining the sense of the absurdity of what's going on.

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 03:53 PM

11. I don't dispute what you are saying at all, I think you are correct in pointing out the setting

where it was done matching the result, I do hope that the comedy act does not carry on to the normal show, because then it makes a mockery of news and I feel it will lose its value and maybe even normalize the crooked behaviour of the republicans.

Reply to this post

Response to Perseus (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 10:43 AM

6. About the laughing

what occurred to me was the thought of more and more live audiences, laughing at him. And his reaction, as an undisputed raging narcissist, would be as though we'd all stabbed him viciously with our mockery.

Reply to this post

Response to flibbitygiblets (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 11:58 AM

7. The raging narcissist

Reply to this post

Response to flibbitygiblets (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 03:50 PM

10. Interesting take, very valid, and funny I must say

Yes, I bet that huts him more than the impeachment.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 01:28 PM

8. Chris Hayes is such a breath of fresh air.

I love watching him. After him, I couldn't stand listening to Matthews' annoying, grating voice. I had to stop even though I was interested in what his guests had to say. I stuck it out as long as I could.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 03:19 PM

9. Masha Gessen was pretty incredible. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Response to forgotmylogin (Reply #9)

Sat Oct 5, 2019, 03:56 PM

12. I agree 100%

She speaks so flawlessly and so eloquent. Yes, she was fantastic. I am always fascinated by smart people like her.

My wife came a bit late, so she asked "who is she?" and I said "Rachel Maddow's twin sister", and my wife said "really? how cool!" then she read the name and found out I was teasing her, I won't say what she said to me.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread