HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Bahama Death Toll of 40,0...

Wed Sep 11, 2019, 03:26 PM

Bahama Death Toll of 40,000 from Hurricane Dorian: My Estimate

"Just after Category 5 Hurricane Dorian stalled over the Grand Bahamas and Abaco Islands for 1.5 days, with 185 mph sustained winds (225 mph gusts) and a storm surge covering 2/3 of the islands, with up to 25 foot deep seawater, the world media reported an absurd death toll of exactly 5 people. Over the next 10 days their insane number climbed to 7, 10, 20, ..., 45. What really happened? I estimate a death toll of up to 40,000 people; over 10% of the countries population. Most of these people were likely washed out to sea by the massive storm surge, never to be seen again."

Paul Beckwith is a professor at University of Toronto and a climate researcher.

4 replies, 1034 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bahama Death Toll of 40,000 from Hurricane Dorian: My Estimate (Original post)
Cetacea Wednesday OP
genxlib Wednesday #1
Cetacea Wednesday #2
bdamomma Wednesday #3
Cetacea Wednesday #4

Response to Cetacea (Original post)

Wed Sep 11, 2019, 05:11 PM

1. The Bahamian Government isn't lying

They are simply reporting the known deaths. They have said it will go way up as the information comes in. They expect it to be catastrophic. They are just sticking to the facts until they know more.

It isnít a conspiracy. It is simply indicative of how difficult it has been to even know who is accounted for yet

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to genxlib (Reply #1)

Wed Sep 11, 2019, 07:04 PM

2. Right.

His beef (and mine) is not with them. The Bahama press is at least now saying that they expect the death toll toi be in the thousands.

Reply to this post

Response to Cetacea (Reply #2)

Wed Sep 11, 2019, 07:49 PM

3. And asshole

tRump is saying they are NOT welcomed in the US, they have family in Florida, and those who are coming do not want to stay to work in the US. So tRump and Miller can STFU!

Reply to this post

Response to bdamomma (Reply #3)

Wed Sep 11, 2019, 07:59 PM

4. 2020 cannot come fast enough

Not sure how much more I can take...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread