HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » The New UN Climate Report...

Sun Aug 25, 2019, 06:06 PM

The New UN Climate Report: We're Screwed (No Thumbnail, but Video is There)

Published on 16 Aug 2019

The rich will survive the longest, but once The Shit Officially Ensues, no one will be safe. Think global warming is bad now? Well, the Steelers are playing the Titans this evening, but it's only pre-season!

5 replies, 792 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply The New UN Climate Report: We're Screwed (No Thumbnail, but Video is There) (Original post)
Video Drone Aug 25 OP
ancianita Aug 25 #1
berni_mccoy Aug 25 #2
ancianita Aug 25 #3
berni_mccoy Aug 25 #4
ancianita Aug 25 #5

Response to Video Drone (Original post)

Sun Aug 25, 2019, 06:45 PM

1. This is why panicking climate scientists say we SHOULD ALL be in a panic.

At 2 degrees Celsius, cascading climate disasters will be the new, unmitigatable normal.

These scenarios are ahead unless the next president puts the climate change as our #1 priority toward preserving our national security, which won't exist at the 2 degree point.

The upfront cost to us is NOTHING compared to the backend costs that the incremental crisis management approach our leaders now take.

The numbers of deaths don't begin to climb only when we hit 1.5 degrees -- brings a death toll equal to 25 Holocausts -- they are already accumulating, at a rate of at least 7 MILLION deaths from air pollution each year. The worst case outcome puts us on the brink of extinction.

Global warming has compressed into two generations the entire story of human civilization. Destroyed environmental conditions that have been stable for all of human history HAS BEEN THE THE WORK OF ONE GENERATION.

There is no previous model, no mythical or theological one, either -- NONE -- to guide our different task -- the preserving of our collective future, forestalling this devastation and engineering an alternate path.

Rhetoric like "existential crisis" fails to slam us with panic because we've been trained by a buoyant culture of sunny-side-up optimism, charges of hyperbole, "expert" or "leader" dismissals that lull us back to business as usual.

It's HERE. (I'm emphasizing, not yelling.)

There is NO SOMEONE ELSE TO FIX THE PROBLEM AT NO COST TO US.

Do not listen to naysayers about cost. The money is there. It might take all we have. But do not doubt: America needs a global Climate Manhattan Project.

Because we are at war to save the planet for our grandchildren.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Video Drone (Original post)

Sun Aug 25, 2019, 06:46 PM

2. We are too late I am afraid.

All civilizations fall... the word civilization as we know it is about to come to its end in our children’s lifetime.

Reply to this post

Response to berni_mccoy (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 25, 2019, 06:49 PM

3. It's easier for everyone to be afraid and give up than to fight like hell. This does NOT have to be.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #3)

Sun Aug 25, 2019, 06:55 PM

4. I fight every day. But if you watch the video

And read the reports, it takes more than individual action.

Reply to this post

Response to berni_mccoy (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 25, 2019, 07:04 PM

5. Individual action is to vote for those who will fight with and for us. Other countries are. It's not

about what the video says. I saw it.

I'm not responding to you, personally, but to the idea that we should give up. That it's too late.

It's about calling ourselves to meet the challenge.

There is much systemic change we can do to alter our daily lives without living like refugees or sacrificing any more than fossil fuel basis of our activity.

So, if you fight every day, then you're already ready to sacrifice fossil support and move on to other things.

I can see that.

But the fight isn't individual. It's us together. We all have children in our lives who we want to survive this.

We can channel our fear into moving forward the way we channeled fear during our great turnaround in World War II. We retooled the auto industry and other industries once. We can do it again.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread