HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Bernie Sanders Calls For ...

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 01:39 PM

Bernie Sanders Calls For "Bump Stock" Gun Converter Ban

October 4, 2017

Bernie Sanders urges Congress to act on Diane Feinstien's legislation banning "bump stock" gun devices that allow guns to be converted from semi-automatic to automatic weapons--the same device used by the Las Vegas shooter that shot more than 500 people in nine minutes.

21 replies, 562 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Donkees (Original post)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 01:55 PM

1. What is his position on immunity for gun manufacturers?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to George II (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 02:57 PM

7. He support it. He voted aye.

He also opposed the Brady Bill when he first got elected to congress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-the-nra-helped-put-bernie-sanders-in-congress/2015/07/19/ed1be26c-2bfe-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html?utm_term=.01dd45d8d116

Peter Smith his Republican predecessor made a very courageous decision according to Sir Humphrey Appleby

Reply to this post

Response to nycbos (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 03:00 PM

8. And voted to prohibit CDC research on gun violence

Against waiting periods on background checks, aka the Charleston loophole. As well as for allowing guns on Amtrak and in national parks.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 02:01 PM

2. Good call from Bernie!

He usually get these things right.

Reply to this post

Response to ClarendonDem (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 03:40 PM

12. See post #6 below.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #12)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 04:12 PM

13. I'm pretty much completely on board

With Bernie's voting record on guns.

Reply to this post

Response to ClarendonDem (Reply #13)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 08:22 PM

17. And seeing 59 people killed in Vegas

Doesn't make you think that maybe the profits of gun corporations aren't worth more than human life?
You're want to see research into gun profits banned? You oppose background checks that involve a waiting period? That is precisely what enabled the Charleston shooter to access guns. You want guns on Amtrack and National Parks? You oppose the Brady Bill? Or is it that the lives of Americans simply don't matter enough to you to even tell an elected representative that some of his votes are not acceptable?

The reason the NRA is able to ensure gun continue to be proliferated and made every more deadly is because voters refuse to hold their elected representatives accountable. The fact is US gun policy kills 32,000 people every year. I do not believe corporate gun profits matter more than human lives, and I find laws that elevate profits over life reprehensible.

I don't know what it is about Bernie Sanders that makes his supporters unable to voice a word of disagreement, but it certainly isn't consistent with democratic self-government or the idea that elected officials are meant to represent the people.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #17)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 09:16 PM

19. Lots of questions in there but I'll give it a shot

Does seeing 59 people killed in Las Vegas make me think that maybe the profits of gun corporations aren't worth more than human life?
I fail to see the connection between this question and any vote Bernie Sanders cast. But no, a corporation's profits are not worth more than human life.

You're want to see research into gun profits banned?
What law prohibits research regarding the profits of gun manufacturers? A company's profits are often publicly available information.

You oppose background checks that involve a waiting period?
It depends on the length of the waiting period. I'm not opposed to a reasonable period, though I'm sure folks will debate what is "reasonable."

You want guns on Amtrack and National Parks?
I'm not a fan of open carry but I don't have a problem with concealed carry in these types of places.

You oppose the Brady Bill?
If you are referring to the requirement for background checks prior to a gun purchase, I'm perfectly ok with that requirement.

I don't know what it is about Bernie Sanders that makes his supporters unable to voice a word of disagreement, but it certainly isn't consistent with democratic self-government or the idea that elected officials are meant to represent the people.

Bernie Sanders was elected to represent the people of the state of Vermont, which has some of the most liberal gun laws in the country, so I'd argue his gun control votes as senator largely reflect the will of the people who elected him. That said, if I disagree with Sanders on an issue, and there are some where I do, then I'll voice that disagreement.

Reply to this post

Response to ClarendonDem (Reply #19)

Thu Oct 5, 2017, 04:20 PM

21. let's review

In order.

Bernie voted for the law granting civil immunity for gun manufacturers and vendors. That means that companies that knowingly sell guns to illegal traffickers are immune from civil lawsuit. It puts corporate profit over human life.

That and other votes are listed here in his voting record on guns. https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/27110/bernie-sanders/37/guns#.WdaR_VtSyUl

There is in fact a law that prohibits the CDC from conducting research on gun violence. Bernie voted for it.

His position, based on a promise he made when he first ran for office with NRA support, is that he would vote against ANY waiting period. A woman has to have an ultrasound and wait to have an abortion, but a lunatic can buy 45 AR-15s immediately.

Those laws allowing guns on Amtrack and national parks increased the opportunities for gun violence. Concealed carry is the NRA's current frontier, and they are trying to make it legal everywhere. The policy is genocidal. The NRA is nearly all white, and they also promote stand your ground laws which allow paranoid white men to kill people of color on site because, they claim, they are frightened or inconvenienced by blackness. That people die in order to accommodate their cowardice is repulsive.

The Brady Bill is the most significant piece of gun control legislation passed in the last several decades. Bernie didn't vote against one provision but the entire bill.

Bernie has nothing to do with state gun control laws. He is a US Senator, and his record on gun control is not acceptable to me because I value life over property and profit. His support of profits for guns and defense corporations, as in the F-35, are inconsistent with his rhetoric about corporatism.

Either you're a strong 2a proponent, or you aren't being honest on your last point. If it's the former, then the poster must be right who said in GD that bump stocks are the sacrificial lamb of the NRA.

The NRA is the single greatest evil facing the country. Their lobby is more powerful that finance, and it repulses me that so many are happy to accommodate their evil and the profits of gun corporations because human lives mean less to them than property, profit, or deference to men of power.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 02:11 PM

3. But I thought Bernie hated any idea related to gun control?

Reply to this post

Response to bullwinkle428 (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 02:56 PM

6. Do you care about his actual voting record on guns?

Reply to this post

Response to bullwinkle428 (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 03:09 PM

10. Not any, but some.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 02:17 PM

4. Those things are going to be selling like hotcakes.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 02:52 PM

5. And the Charleston loophole?

Guns on Amtrak and in national parks? Will he now vote to allow the CDC to conduct research on gun violence, or will he continue to vote with the GOP to prohibit it? And will he admit his previous vote granting civil immunity for gun corporations, ensuring their profits arenít limited by lawsuits from victims of gun violence?

https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/27110/bernie-sanders/37/guns#.WdUuY3pOmf0

His influence goes far beyond those votes, as heís succeeded in convincing his supporters to defend those votes, most notably protecting corporate gun profits from civil suits by citizens.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 03:17 PM

11. This wasn't Amtrak, but it was a horrible shooting on the Long Island RR when I lived down there....

....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Long_Island_Rail_Road_shooting

On December 7, 1993, as a Long Island Rail Road train pulled into the Merillon Avenue station in Garden City, New York, a passenger, identified as Colin Ferguson, pulled out a Ruger P89 9mm pistol and started firing at other passengers. He murdered six people and wounded nineteen others before being stopped by three of the passengers: Kevin Blum, Mark McEntee, and Mike O'Connor. Ferguson's trial was notable for a number of unusual developments, including his firing of his defense counsel and insisting on representing himself and questioning his own victims on the stand.

On February 17, 1995, Ferguson was convicted of the six murders. He was also convicted of attempted murder for wounding nineteen passengers. As of 2017, he is serving his sentence of 315 years and 8 months to life at the Upstate Correctional Facility in Franklin County, New York.

The wife of one of the victims went on to get elected to the House of Representatives and was a strong gun control advocate for years.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 04:26 PM

14. That was Feinstein's press conference and HER bill that was introduced! Why....

....didn't you provide her video?

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #14)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 06:14 PM

15. I know why. Only, it's probably best if I don't say... for obvious reasons.

Reply to this post

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #15)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 06:31 PM

16. .

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Reply #14)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 08:44 PM

18. Good question.

But then, I wouldn't be able to open DU and see that half the threads begin with the words, "Bernie Sanders...."!

Reply to this post

Response to LisaM (Reply #18)

Wed Oct 4, 2017, 10:15 PM

20. Yeah but he's all that matters.

ever.

and ever.

and ever and ever.

And ever and ever and ever.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread