HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » different point of view

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 01:45 AM

different point of view

19 replies, 2970 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply different point of view (Original post)
santroy79 Nov 2014 OP
panfluteman Nov 2014 #1
JustAnotherGen Nov 2014 #2
MrScorpio Nov 2014 #3
Elmer S. E. Dump Nov 2014 #4
santroy79 Nov 2014 #6
MrScorpio Nov 2014 #9
Elmer S. E. Dump Nov 2014 #15
historylovr Nov 2014 #17
Elmer S. E. Dump Nov 2014 #13
santroy79 Nov 2014 #5
MrScorpio Nov 2014 #10
IkeRepublican Nov 2014 #12
Elmer S. E. Dump Nov 2014 #14
Quixote1818 Nov 2014 #7
Dustlawyer Nov 2014 #8
og1 Nov 2014 #11
saintsebastian Nov 2014 #16
Quixote1818 Nov 2014 #18
demwing Nov 2014 #19

Response to santroy79 (Original post)

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 02:55 AM

1. WOW!

Sounds like he works in Hollywood, in the entertainment industry. Either that, or he's a preacher. He has a lot of good points. The path he is advocating would take a lot of spiritual discipline and mental and emotional self control, but it is, I believe, the higher path of greater responsibility. These are the times that try men's souls...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 05:43 AM

2. Posted back in August

I can't hear it - he doesn't speak proper English. You should check out what Booker has been saying.

He's much easier to relate to.

I'm black by the way - so don't accuse me of racism because I can't relate to shucking and jiving.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 07:53 AM

3. Don't get me started on whackassed black conservatives, like this guy

It won't be pretty.

Reply to this post

Response to MrScorpio (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 09:29 AM

4. I think he confuses his personal experiences

With those in other parts of the country where they may not have the same police force as he does. He probably lives in a very liberal CA city. And the way he equates the people of Ferguson that are protesting Mike Browns murder with whining crybabies is disturbing.

Or he could just be a whackassed (name your color) conservative.

Reply to this post

Response to Elmer S. E. Dump (Reply #4)

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 11:03 AM

6. on your comment

"he confuses his personal experiences With those in other parts of the country where they may not have the same police force as he does. "

I think his point is if your not out robbing people and assaulting cops then bad things dont happen. He said he had run ins with the police but never had the police abuse him. Probably meaning he wasnt breaking the law and acted respectful with the police.

Reply to this post

Response to santroy79 (Reply #6)

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 03:08 PM

9. Oh, please. What planet are you living on?

You know what you're doing here, right?

You're basically saying that the ARE NO innocent black victims of police misconduct. You know that the REAL audience of this clown's message isn't black people, right? He's actually pandering to right wing whites, giving them cover for their fucked up, anti-black beliefs. This is called Respectability Politics, supposedly telling blacks to be good little negroes and the police just won't bother them.

We're supposed to ignore the racial, social and economic inequality in this country that forces the vast majority of black people to become more scrutinized by law enforcement, that imposes crime and poverty onto poor communities, that excludes the resources available through franchisement... Basically, the man in the video is laying down the cover for white supremacy by pandering to whites who accept and hold anti-black beliefs.

So please, go right ahead and completely ignore all of the innocent victims of police misconduct and ignore all of the condition of white supremacy that creates the conditions of crime and poverty in this country which puts us into the unenviable position of being both under-policed and over-policed at the same time and most of all, ignore all of the double standards in a system which sets black people up to fail and them blames them for the failure.

After all, too many black people are "acting up," you've got an "epic rant" of some clowning black fool, pandering to you by telling you that this is the case.

Bravo, you've discovered a black conservative.

Reply to this post

Response to MrScorpio (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 29, 2014, 12:32 AM

15. Mr Scorpio...

I think you are getting a bit "uppity"

Thank you for your insight. I think you are a great DUer!

Reply to this post

Response to MrScorpio (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 29, 2014, 01:06 AM

17. +1

Reply to this post

Response to santroy79 (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 29, 2014, 12:23 AM

13. I stand by my statement.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM

5. why does he have to be conservative?

Im as left as they come and I agree with most of what he is saying.

Reply to this post

Response to santroy79 (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 03:33 PM

10. So, you agree with a guy goes on to Fox News with more anti-black rhetoric

Because he was in a viral video put out there by conservative propaganda site, Rightwingnews.com?

Gee, I wonder how anyone could possibly think that Gentry could possibly be a black conservative after hearing his pandering rant of anti-black rhetoric in brown face?

After all, he's only some guy who's loved by people like Glenn Beck and goes out of his way to rant against Revs Sharpton and Jackson... Like ALL of the time. http://johnathangentry.com/

Yeah, there's no way that you're in the same boat with a black conservative, given your vast liberal bona fides and sourcing here, am I right?

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 09:26 PM

12. Every African American I've worked with rants the same way

All of them pro-union and 100% behind our president.

Cultures far outweigh partisanship and that goes for every single one of us. I'm not going to doubt members of a race or culture in speaking of their own experiences. Doubting and filling it in with bullshit petty feel-good substitutes is Republican territory, IMO.

The only reason the Right has taken advantage of this guy is because that's what they do - take advantage for agenda, not for doing what it takes to truly move things in the proper direction. Distractions for their usual masters, the 1%.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 29, 2014, 12:27 AM

14. No you are not. Sorry but real liberal don't think that way.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 11:53 AM

7. In my opinion this isn't just a black issue it's a poor person issue

Last edited Fri Nov 28, 2014, 02:50 PM - Edit history (1)

but if you are black you are more often perceived as poor which means your life has no value. There is a general lack of respect for people who come from the wrong side of town and that is why their dead bodies are left out in the street for four hours in this case of in the case of Trayvon Martin their body goes to the morgue as "John Doe" and there is no attempt to even find the parents because they think "Oh, it's just some worthless hoodlum who should not have been in this neighborhood". When in fact his parents lived just down the street. I can guarantee you when Darren Wilson made the decision to fire he felt more comfortable firing because the kid was black and probably poor. He knew he would be able to get away with it. Had he been a wealthy black athlete's kid then the Brown's might have had a chance for justice.

Certainly the poor black and poor communities of whites should work on not committing crimes etc. but what about white collar crime? Wall Street rips us off ten fold compared to poor folks and yet we don't here these types of lectures for them? Why not, they do more damage to the country and they have everything they already need to live a comfortable life?

Again, this is just another attempt to point the finger away from what is really holding poor and middle class society down so we focus away from those that take hundreds of billions from tax payers and are extracting our country hand over fist. The ghetto is the ghetto and regardless of color it's going to be extremely difficult to climb out of. It just so happens that there are more poor blacks per-capita because releasing millions of slaves and not providing them with jobs is going to instantly create ghettos that any psychologist will tell you become breeding grounds for low self esteem and the vicious cycle.

This guy makes it sound easy for poor folks to get it together. For some exceptional kids it may be bur for most who come from the ghetto it's a vicious cycle not easily fixed. Yes they should follow his advice and try and break out of the ghetto but that is completely irrelevant to what occurred in this instance. An unarmed child was executed and his body left in the street to rot for hours as Fox News and this fellow make the boy and the parents into the criminals and the guy who fired into the top of a child's head as he was falling down into the victim. This video is extremely disrespectful and hurtful to the Brown family.

He also ignores the fact that there were riots during the civil rights movement. Riots can be non-violent against people.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 01:09 PM

8. I can guarantee you he did not go to a black public school in the South, I did as a white kid!

The black school got the old, used up equipment that stayed broken, projectors etc. the teachers by and large, didn't want to be there. They were the worst of the worst, not all, but most.
We had to move to go to a mostly white school because of violence directed at whites during this not even half hearted attempt at desegregation. After the desegregation there was only about 5% white, 95% black. I could have learned to hate blacks from this experience, but I realized that I didn't like being discriminated against for the color of my skin either! Why should I do that to someone else?
After the move within the same school district, the new classes were 10 chapters ahead in the same books (same except they were new, unmarked books, not older, torn up ones). How is a smart black kid to have the same opportunity to learn when they only cover half of the material each year that kids in other schools are covering? They didn't try to really educate those kids!
People who say that blacks in the South had the same opportunities as whites don't know what they are talking about.
Are there problems in the black communities that exacerbate the situation, sure. I watch the smart black kids be accused by other blacks of trying to be white. I heard complaints that some parents actually accused their own kids of thinking they were smarter than them because they got some good grades. This is an issue more of poverty as poor whites behave the same way, trying to pull them back down. Black culture does play a part in this, but only a part.
The biggest problem is the institutional racism that keeps them from competing on a level playing field with whites, and even other minorities. Many whites, and even this black man, don't really know what it is like to be poor and black, they just think they do. They form their opinions from what they hear from others who don't know and from the TV, which shows the worst and make it seem like it is the norm. The deck is stacked against blacks and we overlook it because we get tired of hearing cries of "discrimination." We don't believe those cries because we view things from a different perspective. We were able to get the job at the refinery because our Uncle got us in, but the black guy usually doesn't have the "Uncle" in place to give him the leg up. We see nothing wrong with that. We cannot relate to the extra hurdles a black person has that we, as whites, do not have. We refuse to acknowledge that those hurdles even exist.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 28, 2014, 06:01 PM

11. Change

Santaroy79. And how do you propose change? You think you can gerrymander those southern voting districts. You have lobbyists and political donors with boat loads of cash for you to win an election. Or will you sell all your natural resources to the Koch bros. once black people could not be considered capital any more to a capitalist society based on the lowest labor cost they lost their usefulness to the white capitalist. And people of color are all judged by their capitalist value and not their human value and contribution to society And unfortunately many people only bring value to their employer when their willing to work for less. Now santaroy79. A new video on how to suggest change and the next magic trick I'll ask you to preform is to make southern white politicians see value in a black person life! And

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 29, 2014, 01:00 AM

16. I've Seen Multiple Videos Like This

I've seen multiple videos like this: it's a black man or woman sermonizing about a perceived lack of personal responsibility in the black community. I mainly see my conservative Facebook friends comment on, like or share the videos. "Look, an actual black person somewhere holds my views. You can no longer call me racist."

I've noticed that one of the many common threads throughout videos of this genre is an uncomfortableness with the idea that the effects of American slavery are still being seen today. There isn't one person who has a legitimate understanding of American history who can reasonably say that the legacy of slavery is not still playing itself out to terrible effect. These people love to say that "slavery ended 150 years ago, get over it!" Okay, so stop celebrating Independence Day. The signing of the Declaration of Independence happened over 230 years ago!

Reply to this post

Response to saintsebastian (Reply #16)

Sat Nov 29, 2014, 03:37 AM

18. Nicely said

There is something to be said for personal responsibility but there is something extremely distasteful when your kid is dead and society is blaming you and your culture instead of the irrational fears of a privileged culture for what ultimately lead to their death and then having a black fellow who thinks he is above it all because perhaps he found a good job, lecturing everyone on why they should be more like him. Reminds me of Bill Cosby or for that matter the Koch Brothers lecturing everyone else who didn't inherit billions as to why we need to simply go out an earn our own billions or shut up. Fuck that elitist attitude. It's everything that is wrong with this country right now.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 29, 2014, 10:24 AM

19. Top Right News?

Did you notice that tag at the beginning of this video?

That tag should tell you all that you'll need to know about this "epic rant."

i won't supply a link, but you can search for their website or their facebook site. Be warned that there is some disturbingly racist content waiting for you when you get there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread