Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member


(22,748 posts)
3. I live in FL, and no, there is not much we can do at this time.
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 12:00 PM
Apr 2014

There are waaaay too many idiot inbred rednecks in the state that want the government to keep their hands off their Medicare. They get their news from Faux Snooze exclusively and vote against their own economic interests for fear that those lazy welfare types (read minorities) will get some help. They are equally stupid and mean spirited. Any state that would have Rick Scott, lying criminal who's kept FL high in the unemployment ranks, running even with Charlie Crist - sane person - is in serious trouble. Jeb drove down our educational system by favoring corrupt failing to education Charter Schools, then Scott sealed the deal with drastically cutting teacher pay and changing the system so teachers don't get any extra pay when they earn advanced degrees. My daughter was on track to be a teacher when this happened, but is now in real estate instead. All of her friends switched their degrees due to Scott's punitive actions.

Dems in FL run scared campaigns, apologizing for being Democratic, and guess what - they don't win. We need some strong progressive populist Dems to make inroads on the strong R majority in the state legislature. Hasn't happened yet.

rhett o rick

(55,981 posts)
4. Maybe the $35 billion not spent on Medicaid can be used on a down payment for a new nuclear carrier.
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 12:16 PM
Apr 2014

I think we are down to only 10. Which is 10 more than the rest of the world put together.

Health care for the poor or more aircraft carriers, hmmm?


(15,589 posts)
5. In reference to point #2
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 12:55 PM
Apr 2014

It is only the poor that die early. What's the big deal.

God that goes so far back to the feudal system. Maybe one day we will become a civilized country.


(44,252 posts)
7. Virginia is fighting over the medicaid expansion for no apparent reason
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 02:01 PM
Apr 2014

The Dem controlled senate and Dem governor want it. The GOP controlled house of delegates are blocking it and don't have any excuse.

Obama should take a stand against punching puppies, just to have some teabagger argue his right to punch puppies is protected in the constitution.

Bill USA

(6,436 posts)
8. I wish the Democrats would challenge the Repugnants to have a debate for 2014 mid-terms on Obamacare
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 02:18 PM
Apr 2014

Rather than just let the Koch bros. keep running their ad-lies on Obamacare - dare the Repugnants to meet for a town - hall or debate on Obamacare. LEt's have a cage match between those who offer nothing but lies and criticism and those who have accomplished something with Obamacare. This would give a Democratic Party representative a chance to cite facts for people, and for the GOP to respond to - and to shoot down Koch-speak lies.

This would be better than letting Koch -speak be heard unchallenged and just count on Corporate media to inform people of the truth.



(50,619 posts)
9. Republican governors will literally kill10,000 Americans this year.
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 05:16 PM
Apr 2014

THEY'RE the ones who should be in GITMO.


(211 posts)
10. The only logical argument against expansion that I've heard...
Thu Apr 10, 2014, 05:57 PM
Apr 2014

is that the federal government will cover 100% of the cost of newly enrolled people for a couple of years, then will step back that funding. But they only are set to step it back to cover 90%. That only leaves 10% for the states to cover. Don't these states have enough surplus in their budgets, or other areas they can cut, to cover that 10%. How much are we talking about anyway?

Latest Discussions»Retired Forums»Video & Multimedia»Pic Of The Moment: Some F...