HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » State Dept. Seeks Firing ...

Fri Mar 16, 2012, 04:13 PM

State Dept. Seeks Firing of Peter Van Buren, Whistleblower who Exposed Wasteful Iraq Projects

democracynow.org - The U.S. State Department has taken steps to fire Peter Van Buren, a longtime employee who publicly criticized the Pentagon's so-called "reconstruction efforts" in Iraq. In 2009 and 2010, he headed two Provincial Reconstruction Teams in rural Iraq. After returning from Iraq, he wrote a book, "We Meant Well: How I Helped Lose the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of the Iraqi People." Van Buren has also exposed State Department waste and mismanagement on his blog, WeMeantWell.com. For at least six months he has been under investigation for possible wrongdoings. After his 23-year career with the State Department, he now faces being fired after filing whistleblower reprisal complaint with the Office of Special Counsel.

5 replies, 2532 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply State Dept. Seeks Firing of Peter Van Buren, Whistleblower who Exposed Wasteful Iraq Projects (Original post)
The Northerner Mar 2012 OP
gussmith Mar 2012 #1
pam4water Mar 2012 #2
think Mar 2012 #3
sulphurdunn Mar 2012 #4
sulphurdunn Mar 2012 #5

Response to The Northerner (Original post)

Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:31 PM

1. What?

What am I missing here? Isn't this the land of Rush Limbaugh...I mean free speech...? Why is our government not honoring this whistleblower and why is it even possible that they can harass and fire him? The State Department should be investigated for this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:58 AM

2. If you are free to criticize government, you are free to improve it. Or free period. :(

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 17, 2012, 12:11 PM

3. K&R The castigating of whistle blowers needs to end.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 03:16 PM

5. The Pentagon

and the State Department, the Fed, the Department of Justice and the Treasury have been up to so much bad shit since 2000 that you'd cover it up too if you were one of those in charge of it because you don't want the dam to break on your watch.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread