HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » CA student takes on Miche...

Sat Sep 7, 2013, 07:13 PM

CA student takes on Michelle Rhee's ed reform. Kudos Hannah Nguyen.

Student takes on Michelle Rhee

Hi everyone, my name is Hannah, Iím a studentÖ Just a few things though, I felt like this whole event was very much looking at these educational policy issues as a reformers versus teacher unions kind of issue, and as a student standing here and watching this battle it is really disheartening, because itís a lot deeper than that, and these are everyday realities.

...And thereís a lot of things brought up ó going back to poverty ó reformers say that poverty isnít destiny, and that sounds great, and I believe in that, and thatís awesome. But you know what, if you really care about students, you should say that poverty shouldnít be.

Yes, we need to work on in-school factors, and simultaneously we need to work on out-of-school factors and caring about the whole child.

Back to high stakes testing. I donít know a single student ó Iím sorry, I have a lot of friends, and I have friends at other schools too ó I donít know a single student who says that they learned something from a high-stakes test, and the way that their school is structured. They should be given the freedom to learn what they want to learn, open curriculum, well-rounded, arts, music, humanitiesÖ.

Hannah says choice can be a good thing, but she is highly critical of charters that push out low-performing students.

Hannah Nguyen ‏@hbnguyen18

Oh my goodness, I'm on the Answer Sheet... Is this the real life...

I am noticing a turnaround in the public's view of the reformers. Parents are realizing these "reformers" intend to undermine public school systems in our country.

I feel now that those of us who have been writing about the harm being done by this administration's policies under Arne Duncan have been vindicated. Maybe it was worth all the vitriol directed at us to see this turning around of mindsets.

5 replies, 2444 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply CA student takes on Michelle Rhee's ed reform. Kudos Hannah Nguyen. (Original post)
madfloridian Sep 2013 OP
chervilant Sep 2013 #1
madfloridian Sep 2013 #2
DiverDave Sep 2013 #3
blackspade Sep 2013 #4
madfloridian Sep 2013 #5

Response to madfloridian (Original post)

Sat Sep 7, 2013, 07:52 PM

1. Thank you for this post.

More people need to hear what Sir Ken Robinson has to say. Michelle Rhee and Bill Gates are NOT "saving" public education!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to chervilant (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 7, 2013, 08:28 PM

2. You are right. They are harming public education greatly.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 8, 2013, 06:56 AM

3. It's easier to steal from an uneducated person.

Oh, and the saying that smart people dont know it all...Just makes me wanna strangle somebody.
Disdain for education is a core principle for the overlords

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 8, 2013, 06:25 PM

4. This awesome young lady layed the hammer down....

on this whole school 'reform' bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to blackspade (Reply #4)

Sun Sep 8, 2013, 07:14 PM

5. Yes, she did that for sure.

It was refreshing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread