HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Todd Akin's statement ..s...

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 05:34 PM

Todd Akin's statement ..saying he "misspoke" about "legitimate rape"..

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by scarletwoman (a host of the Editorials & Other Articles forum).

This piece of shit cannot say..."I am sorry, I was wrong."..instead he says something else..that is what they do..
That is who they are..
Here is the statement. NOte: He says, he holds ."deep empathy" but cannot say, "I am sorry." for what he said..true asshole always..
. from fucking asshole Akin.. (also note: two thirds of this statement is very close to attack, quote: "harming an innocent victim is not the right course of action" that is his decision eh?)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"As a member of Congress, I believe that working to protect the most vulnerable in our society is one of my most important responsibilities, and that includes protecting both the unborn and victims of sexual assault. In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year. Those who perpetrate these crimes are the lowest of the low in our society and their victims will have no stronger advocate in the Senate to help ensure they have the justice they deserve.

"I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue. But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action. I also recognize that there are those who, like my opponent, support abortion and I understand I may not have their support in this election.

"But I also believe that this election is about a wide range of very important issues, starting with the economy and the type of country we will be leaving our children and grandchildren. We've had 42 straight months of unacceptably high unemployment, trillion-dollar deficits, and Democratic leaders in Washington who are focused on growing government, instead of jobs. That is my primary focus in this campaign and while there are those who want to distract from that, knowing they cannot defend the Democrats' failed economic record of the last four years, that will continue to be my focus in the months ahead."

10 replies, 1999 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Todd Akin's statement ..saying he "misspoke" about "legitimate rape".. (Original post)
Stuart G Aug 2012 OP
elleng Aug 2012 #1
Live and Learn Aug 2012 #2
Stuart G Aug 2012 #3
LittleGirl Aug 2012 #4
malokvale77 Aug 2012 #5
LittleGirl Aug 2012 #7
Live and Learn Aug 2012 #8
Stuart G Aug 2012 #6
DesertRat Aug 2012 #9
scarletwoman Aug 2012 #10

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 05:39 PM

1. That was quite a 'misspoke!'

'According to doctors, . . .'

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 05:42 PM

2. Mis-spoke usually means you used the wrong word.

This was an entire pararaph of some bizarre medical theory. How the hell did he even envision such a bizarre theory? Seems his body shuts down his brain when speaking in public.

Response to Live and Learn (Reply #2)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 05:50 PM

3. I don't think this fucking asshole has a brain...nt

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 05:51 PM

4. I found the perfect reply to someone that believes this crap

on HP.

by Funksands
When a woman gets raped, becomes pregnant against all odds, and has an abortion, who should receive the longer prison term? The woman or her rapist?

Perfect.

Response to LittleGirl (Reply #4)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 06:10 PM

5. Bet he's not willing to help support all those non-aborted babies.

Response to malokvale77 (Reply #5)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 06:20 PM

7. not with "HIS" TAX dollars.

I just think the questions posed will stop them in their tracks. Most anti-choice people don't go further than the thought "abortion is murder/bad". They really don't think about the punishment.

If you knew them well enough, think of one of their family members that is less than 21 and ask them, what if she was raped?
What if the rapist was her own father or brother?

They tend to get angry to deny that would even be possible and that's when you own them. You have to tell them in no uncertain terms, they are wrong. The law is right just the way it is. Women/Girls/Sisters/Mothers need to make that decision and no body else should even know. It's none of their freaking business.

Response to malokvale77 (Reply #5)

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 06:21 PM

8. So true. Wonder how he would feel if the rapist was an "illegal alien".

Would he be willing to provide for the "anchor baby"? Or would that change the circumstances?

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 06:12 PM

6. This fucking asshole is also against the school lunch program that feeds kids.& morning after pill..

from Talking Points Memo:

"Akin is perhaps the boldest among a crop of conservative 2012 nominees who could hamper GOP efforts to take back the Senate in the fall. Akin has called for an end to the school-lunch program and a total ban on the morning-after pill."

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 07:55 PM

9. You can leave a message on his Facebook page

Sun Aug 19, 2012, 09:13 PM

10. Locking - this does not meet the SOP of Good Reads.

The SOP of Good Reads:
Post excerpts from articles, blogs, and other recently-published material related to politics, issues, and current events. No posts about Israel/Palestine, religion, guns, showbiz, or sports unless there is really big news. No conspiracy theories. No whining about DU.

There is no link in your OP to indicate the source for the quotes you've posted. It's expected that if you are posting an excerpt from an "article, blog, or other recently published material", a link to the source is provided. In any case, since there is no published analysis or commentary evident, this material would be more appropriately posted in GD or Politics 2012 - preferably with a link. Your post would also be more likely to attract wider readership in either of those forums.