HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » "I Got Fired Recently at ...

Sun Feb 5, 2023, 11:03 PM

"I Got Fired Recently at 64, and I Think It's Part of the Plan"

- Daily Kos, Feb. 5, 2023.

A recent great diary from Laura Clawson about the pitiful wages of most Americans reminded me of something from April 2020 that has stuck with me since. www.dailykos.com/...

I literally have made $37,000.00 a year for the past 15 years. (And actually, just got fired). For being “insubordinate”. My crime was pointing out to my direct boss and his direct boss, that adding another job to my job description (done 3 times previously) without a pay raise was unacceptable, and that I couldn’t do it and wouldn’t do it. Being unemployed is not cool, but I did finally stick my head up, and realized that hell,…. at least I don’t have to replace a $60,000.00 salary. (Which is still too low for SW GA. And with the kids gone, and Medicare an option, I think I’m headed for an inflection point in life.

I’m healthy, smart enough, and most importantly, have come to the realization that I don’t have to take this shit anymore, and frankly, I intend to get involved politically, even to the point of running against my GA State Rep in ‘24. A pitiful, 80 year old “Dixiecrat” who’s served for 40 years, the last 30 as a Repub after switching parties.

Now, for the part that has stuck with me:

When the 1st batch of Covid unemployment came out in April 2020, my wife had to close her hair salon for 6 weeks, and she was able to draw unemployment PLUS, the $600.00 a week extra from the Covid money. After all those years of scraping by, it was amazing what that “extra” $3600.00 over 6 weeks showed me about “being poor”. It was a relief knowing that a $300.00 car part isn’t going to force me into scramble mode. $600 a week is just $30,000.00 a year and on top of my $37,000.00, imagine what $67,000.00 a year would do for us. Hell, I’d be the damn happiest dude moving around GA.

Poverty (and no, this is not poverty), is a damn menace, and Congress CAN fix this. We just have to keep pushing these asshats and elect Dems to fix this. Give us a fair fight electorally, reform the Justice System (expand the number of circuits), and for Christ’s sake, tax the over $400,000 a year (people & companies) crowd at a higher rate, break up a few monopolies (media & certain industries come to mind), add a Federal Workforce option (WPA, CCC,etc) to the economy (with a $15.00 hr starting point & benefits), and start defining the “job creators” for what they are.

And it is really a simple thing. “Jobs are created by demand, not by products”. Not a single company will add a single job unless forced to by demand. They aren’t so benevolent as to just “invent” jobs out of whole cloth. The US Government is the only entity big enough to force private industry into flattening the inequality of this country. Just start a workforce. Repubs always want to add work requirements for “benefits” Better yet — give them a job. Outside of private industry... More + Comments, https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/2/5/2151242/-I-got-fired-recently-at-64-and-I-think-it-s-part-of-the-plan

19 replies, 5831 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Sun Feb 5, 2023, 11:09 PM

1. I like the idea of creating a job force that pays fair wages.

Forcing people to get poverty jobs because they are getting benefits shouldn't be a condemnation to lifelong poverty. You need a few bucks in your pocket so you can repair a car, or donate to a cause you believe in.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LakeVermilion (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 5, 2023, 11:20 PM

2. I second that! enuff of theTrickle Down fraud and degradation of America.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 5, 2023, 11:29 PM

3. This is an important post.

I am about to semi-retire and I'm kind of nervous about it. I will still make a good hourly wage doing the job I've done for eight years already. I will still have my medical (I work for a unionized HMO and don't even have to pay premiums), and I am old enough to take SS if needed. Plus, I have what I think is appropriate savings, but who knows? Going from 40 hours a week, to 20 is going to cut my income in half. It will also give me four days a week off and three on. I can go to baseball games in the summer and spend more time with my doggos. Still...I worry.

Reply to this post

Response to Laffy Kat (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 5, 2023, 11:55 PM

4. Serious matters to weigh for sure. I haven't any advice but there's a Seniors group here &

also one for SS & Medicare. Maybe people there could provide some help. Many posters here have experience and knowledge re retirement and finances. Good luck & best.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=forum&id=1183

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=forum&id=1261

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 12:47 AM

5. Better give big tax cuts to these "job creators"

since they trickle it down all over their workers and lower prices for customers.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 12:52 AM

6. Yeah, true that! And the BS still floats with many, blows the mind.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 01:57 AM

7. The wealth disparity

in this country is monstrous and keeps growing. Every person of any decent education knows that this is not sustainable but yet the people with the huge financial power/bought politicians/bought courts have any real recognition of this. So we now have rents out of control, massive price gouging at the gas pump as well as in the stores and every time the Dept. of Labor reports an increase of any amount in the average weekly employee wages the big boys immediately wet their pants and go on a media blitz about how horrible it is for the economy for the average person to make a little more money. But they're all smiles when reporting record profits, stock options/salaries for themselves etc.

There is absolute disconnect in business currently about pricing/affordability and the average worker. New vehicle prices are out of sight along with rents. But the car companies insist that we all need all the electronic crap to take over driving, hooking up a trailer, backing up the vehicle and to hit the brakes for me. Cost be damned. Nobody actually needs to have their phone connect to the radio etc. How about we get back to the idea of STFU, slow down a little, pay attention and don't drive like you're in a race all the time and nobody will need all of that crap that adds so much cost to a vehicle. That garbage ends up being one of the major service problems for consumers anyway.

The bottom line is that every area of the country I've ever seen that concentrated on paying cheap wages also had most of the people living there unable to afford much beyond a clunker to drive or much beyond a run down rental to live in. The supposed greatest country in the world doesn't even make sure its' children are fed, clothed, educated and can go see a doctor/dentist without it having a major impact on the monthly budget of the average family.

Reply to this post

Response to moniss (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 02:22 PM

8. ++

Reply to this post

Response to moniss (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 06:56 PM

9. Spot On It is accelerating. Middle class and of course lower class are being crushed. Maybe we are

headed to autocracy and oligarchs. Or maybe we're already here?

Reply to this post

Response to Evolve Dammit (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 08:01 PM

12. Reagan

took a wrecking ball to the middle class, and it hasn't stopped since.......

When he fired the Air Traffic Controllers, AKA PATCO Union, it should have been the shot heard across America......

Reply to this post

Response to DENVERPOPS (Reply #12)

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 08:24 PM

13. ++

Reply to this post

Response to DENVERPOPS (Reply #12)

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 08:41 PM

15. Good reminder. Almost 40% union families down to 9%?

Reply to this post

Response to Evolve Dammit (Reply #15)

Tue Feb 7, 2023, 12:53 PM

17. The largest union

in the U.S., I believe, is the US Postal Service employees and DeJoy almost obliterated the Post Office, therefore nearly destroying that Union.......He screwed with the mail in votes, literally destroyed all of the mail sorting machines, and Un-believeably the MF is still there!!??

Reply to this post

Response to DENVERPOPS (Reply #17)

Tue Feb 7, 2023, 04:23 PM

18. It is unbelievable he is still there

Reply to this post

Response to Evolve Dammit (Reply #18)

Tue Feb 7, 2023, 06:50 PM

19. On top of everything

I believe he is still grifting the system. He owns a fleet of trucks that he contracts with the USPS to transport the mail bags....

He should have been canned the first week of Biden's administration for the damage he did, and yet, here we are, starting the third year.....

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 07:05 PM

10. Yes! Run against the GA State Rep! Georgians are ready and waiting for you! Hell run for Congress!

You sure did pack a lot in a few paragraphs! Be sure to keep DU posted about your new career in politics.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 07:57 PM

11. and I must add...

...jobs aren't created by increased profits. Jobs are created when there is a position to fill, when work needs to be done and no one else can do it, when it cannot be shoved off onto someone else who is already doing the job of 3 people. THAT is what creates a job! Congratulations! Sounds like you just created 3 jobs! Best of luck to you!

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 08:25 PM

14. Agree. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I retired. My health improved quickly

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 6, 2023, 09:14 PM

16. learned this on here . old ccp proverb. they pretend to pay us and we pretend to work.

i aggre with mr sanders that we need a fair and living wage . we used to have windfall profets tax and etc but thanks to ronald raygun and various r congress we lost all that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread