HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Comment: Abortion issue m...

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:38 PM

Comment: Abortion issue may play heavily in midterm elections

By Joshua Green / Bloomberg Opinion

When the Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade leaked in early May, political professionals split over its potential effect on the midterm elections this fall. Democratic pollster Celinda Lake, who has surveyed public opinion on abortion for years, was among those predicting it would be a major shaping force. Others werenít so sure, pointing out that attention spans are fleeting and suggesting most Americans would move on.

With the election a month away, itís safe to say a verdict is in: Lake was right. Abortion rights are shaping up as a big midterm factor. Democratic hopes of holding onto Congress may even hinge on them.

Back in January, Lake told me women under 40 would be a key group to watch if Roe were struck down. At the time, there was little to indicate abortion rights would play a significant role in the fall elections. Only 9 percent of women and 3 percent of men in her surveys said it would be the most important issue driving their vote.

When I checked back with Lake last week, though, those numbers ó and every other indicator of Democratic awareness and enthusiasm ó had flipped. Abortion is now among the top Democratic concerns. And the three primary measures of voter enthusiasm have all jumped: self-reported likelihood to vote; new voter registration; and turnout in recent special elections, such as in Alaska, where the pro-choice Democrat Mary Peltola beat Sarah Palin to win a House seat, and in Kansas, where voters soundly defeated a ballot measure that would have allowed legislators to ban abortion.

https://www.heraldnet.com/opinion/comment-abortion-issue-may-play-heavily-in-midterm-elections/

8 replies, 992 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Comment: Abortion issue may play heavily in midterm elections (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Oct 5 OP
dalton99a Oct 6 #1
mahina Oct 6 #2
machoneman Oct 7 #3
yankee87 Oct 7 #4
SharonAnn Oct 9 #5
lees1975 Oct 9 #6
The_Casual_Observer Oct 10 #7
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Oct 10 #8

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Thu Oct 6, 2022, 12:23 AM

1. Kick

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 6, 2022, 12:19 PM

2. It should and in every election going forward.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 7, 2022, 07:21 AM

3. We need to beat every single R in every single state, jurisdiction, city, county and more!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 7, 2022, 10:40 AM

4. Huge issue

Iím a father and grandfather of girls and I canít believe they donít have control over their own bodies. In what world isnít this the number one voting issue? Between this and the relentless attacks on the LGBTQI community, Iím beyond mad.
Vote Blue for your family!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 9, 2022, 11:27 AM

5. "May play heavily"? Understatement of the year.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 9, 2022, 08:35 PM

6. Given that it's Bloomberg, and using the word "may" play heavily...

...I think that is an indicator that they know it will be huge.

The few Republicans with whom I still have social media contact and with whom I can still carry on occasional chats are scared spitless about the effects of the Dobbs decision on the midterms. When I interject "Kansas" into the conversation, it is likely to get changed. Mary Peltola causes much discomfort among them. And our former next door neighbor in Pennsylvania, who works in the county clerk's office, and who isn't a Republican, gleefully posts that there are actually days when there's a line to register to vote, and its mostly women registering as Democrats. Yeah, anecdotal, but still encouraging.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 10, 2022, 11:37 AM

7. The GOOP is left with the stale threat that Democrats are defunding the

Cops. Left over from 2 years ago and never happened.

There has been a push since Dobbs to claim that it won't really affect the midterms. Bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to The_Casual_Observer (Reply #7)

Mon Oct 10, 2022, 12:11 PM

8. While many of theirs want to defund the FBI

They're really intoxicated by the smell of their own bullshit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread