HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Bernie Sanders Wants Buil...

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 12:02 PM

Bernie Sanders Wants Build Back Better Back

The Vermont Senator rues the failure to pass Biden’s big social spending bill. “That was transformational. And we came within two votes of doing that.”

Grace Segers/October 4, 2022

Excerpt:

“What was always part of that equation was, we would come back with another piece of legislation to deal with the long-term systemic problems facing America, not just the emergency problems,” Sanders said. That other piece of legislation was the Build Back Better Act, which among (many) other things, would have extended the expanded child tax credit, offered universal prekindergarten and paid family leave, and expanded Medicare to cover hearing, dental, and vision. But the Build Back Better Act, which passed in the House, died in the Senate due to opposition from Senator Joe Manchin.

“That was transformational. And we came within two votes of doing that. And I think that the Democratic Party will forever regret not having those two votes,” Sanders said, referring to Manchin and Senator Kyrsten Sinema, who had also expressed skepticism about some portions of the bill. “But you asked me, ‘What do you say to people?’ This is what you say to people: Give us two or three more senators, and give us control of the House. And in fact, we will begin addressing all of those issues.” If Democrats had passed the Build Back Better Act, Sanders contended, “there would be no question as we go into this midterm that both the House and the Senate would be securely Democrat.” (Hindsight is, of course, 20/20—or rather, 2022.)

If Democrats do manage to beat expectations and hold onto both chambers of Congress, Sanders does have expectations for the next term. He anticipated another vote on changing the filibuster, and circling back to voting rights—efforts that previously failed by two votes, cast by Manchin and Sinema, earlier this year.

“That, plus a very strong reconciliation bill which can take us back to revised Build Back Better, but a very significant piece of legislation that addresses the long-term systemic problems facing the country,” Sanders predicted.

But if those systemic problems are not addressed, Sanders argued, the situation will only worsen for working Americans—and for Democrats. “It ties into the politics, because if you don’t address it, people are saying, ‘What is this government doing for me?’

“What I do know is that the larger the voter turnout, especially among younger people, the better it will be for Democrats. And I am concerned that, among working people and younger people, there is not the kind of energy and enthusiasm that I think we need to do well in November,” Sanders said. “So I will do my best to try to speak to workers and make the case as to why voting for Republicans is counterproductive, and to get young people involved in the political process as well.”

https://newrepublic.com/article/167956/bernie-sanders-2022-working-class

1 replies, 898 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bernie Sanders Wants Build Back Better Back (Original post)
Donkees Oct 5 OP
Uncle Joe Oct 5 #1

Response to Donkees (Original post)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 12:46 PM

1. That was a good read

Thanks for the thread Donkees.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread