HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Opinion: How much cruelty...

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 11:48 AM

Opinion: How much cruelty is a pork chop worth?

Opinion | How much cruelty is a pork chop worth?

By Kathleen Parker
Columnist | Follow
October 4, 2022 at 7:29 p.m. EDT

A hog inside a holding pen at a farm near Elliott, Iowa, in December 2021. (Charlie Neibergall/AP)

“Out of sight, out of mind” has served humans well in the modern meat market, where neatly packaged animal parts protect us from the inhumane realities of industrialized animal “production.”

Once seen, the methods of procurement cannot be unseen, and we’re forced to make a choice: Do we shrug and buy meat that has been created inhumanely, or do we demand that industry adapt a means of production to reflect a moral people?

This is essentially the question the Supreme Court must entertain in a case filed by the National Pork Producers Council and the American Farm Bureau Federation, two lobbying groups, in response to a 2018 California law (Proposition 12) banning the sale of meat and eggs within the state from animals raised in extreme confinement.

The pork lobby, seemingly aiming for the hearts of anti-Californiacs across the country, claims that because it buys most of its pork from other states, the industry would have to reinvent itself just for California. Nice try. I’d think most Americans everywhere would be relieved to know such practices were discontinued. Besides, the Center for a Humane Economy reports that about 34 percent of pork production is accomplished without the use of gestation crates.

{snip}

Opinion by Kathleen Parker
Kathleen Parker writes a twice-weekly column on politics and culture. She received the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary in 2010. Twitter https://twitter.com/kathleenparker

9 replies, 1319 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Opinion: How much cruelty is a pork chop worth? (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Oct 5 OP
Ferrets are Cool Oct 5 #1
MLAA Oct 5 #2
GenXer47 Oct 5 #3
MLAA Oct 5 #4
jgo Oct 6 #9
bahboo Oct 5 #5
Ritabert Oct 5 #6
JustAnotherGen Oct 5 #7
Layzeebeaver Oct 5 #8

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 12:03 PM

1. I KNOW I am in the minority, but there is no difference between eating a dog or cat and eating a pig

The ONLY difference is the importance that "our" society puts on each. We view the former as pets and the latter as food.
It's kinda like how society puts the upper torso of men and women in different categories. One cannot be viewed in public naked while the other can be with impunity. Why? Societal mores. JMO

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 12:04 PM

2. We go go crazy when we see or hear of dogs being treated inhumanly in parts of Asia.

We do the same, and worse with cows, pigs and chickens. It’s the first thing I think about when watching adorable videos of cows playing fetch or chickens waiting for their little boy’s school bus to arrive. I only started making this connection about 12 years ago. Prior to that I never considered what it took to bring me food. Now, I’m healthier, the planet is relieved of some stress and I’m not contributing. I hesitated to write this because the last time I said something similar a DUer replied with a pic of a big bloody steak. Oh well, here goes.

Reply to this post

Response to MLAA (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:03 PM

3. great point about sustainability

I visited a historical "show" farm where they keep two cows and one pig, and only enough corn and grain to feed those animals, no production. It's astonishing to see how much food must be grown just for those 3 animals.
That's the real issue and if meat were truly market-priced, not subsidized, meat would be prohibitively expensive for most people.

Reply to this post

Response to GenXer47 (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:13 PM

4. I hadn't thought about the subsidies.

Water shortages should also put the spotlight on how much is needed for livestock feed. I’ve also read that 70% of US antibiotics use is for livestock. That can’t be good. Just to mention again, I went much of my life not knowing these facts so I can certainly understand that the majority of people aren’t aware. However once you ‘see’ it’s hard to ‘unsee’.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2016/12/fda-antibiotic-use-food-animals-continues-rise

Reply to this post

Response to GenXer47 (Reply #3)

Thu Oct 6, 2022, 05:34 AM

9. 👍

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:19 PM

5. K & R....

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:20 PM

6. Haven't eaten beef or pork in 25 years

Chicken in 10 years.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 02:10 PM

7. Ugh -

I already gave up veal for good after the Fair Life expose a few years ago.

https://animalrecoverymission.org/operations/factory-farm-division/operation-fairlife/

I can't "un see" baby cows being physically thrown. I can't stand the thought of animal being treated poorly PRIOR to the circle of life.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 03:21 PM

8. here in Britain...

its not usual to see meat (obviously) coming from industrial farms. Sure its imported in instances and there are industrial operations in country.

we get our beef, chicken and pork from local butchers who ethically source the animals. they are locally raised in healthy and pleasant conditions. and they are killed in humane methods.

its a model that "could work" in other countries and areas, but that would require a tighter intermingling and more wide spread implementation of shared residential living and farming activities.

it's a huge cultural and economic change for folks and farmers who wouldn't normally see each other.

the real problem we face us not our habits and tastes, its the volume of people who currently exist on this single ball of rock.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread