HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Calling a man 'bald' is a...

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:07 AM

Calling a man 'bald' is apparently sexual harassment - yet another double standard

Finally, a win for men’s rights!

Looks like the British Bung Company is in a spot of bother. An employment tribunal recently ruled that the West Yorkshire-based manufacturer of cask closures must compensate Tony Finn, a former employee, after he was called a “bald cunt” at work by a (male) supervisor. This was not just a nasty insult, according to the all-male panel of judges on the tribunal – the word “bald” constituted sex-based harassment. The word “cunt” was fine though.

The circumstances are as follows: Finn had worked for the British Bung Company for almost 24 years when he was fired last May. The electrician then took the company to the tribunal alleging unfair dismissal and claiming that the insults his supervisor had subjected him to were harassment related to sex under the Equality Act. The panel, led by Judge Jonathan Brain, agreed. “As all three members of the tribunal will vouchsafe, baldness is much more prevalent in men than women,” the judgment stated. “We find it to be inherently related to sex.”

Don’t worry, the judges didn’t just draw on their own experiences with hair loss as they ruled, they also referred to precedent. Namely a 1995 ruling in which a man was found guilty of sex-based discrimination for commenting on the size of a woman’s breasts (the remark was “hiya big tits”). That’s pretty much the same as calling a man “bald”, apparently.

I have every sympathy for Finn: being bullied at work is indefensible. Belittling someone for their appearance is indefensible. I’m glad this tribunal took Finn’s complaints seriously. However, the idea that calling a man “bald” constitutes sex-based harassment that is equivalent to commenting on the size of a woman’s breasts is dubious at best and insulting at worst.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/14/man-bald-sexual-harassment-week-in-patriarchy

10 replies, 1013 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Calling a man 'bald' is apparently sexual harassment - yet another double standard (Original post)
milestogo Saturday OP
wryter2000 Saturday #1
jimfields33 Saturday #3
FoxNewsSucks Saturday #4
milestogo Saturday #7
Gaugamela Saturday #9
TheBlackAdder Saturday #2
CincyDem Saturday #5
TomSlick Saturday #6
XanaDUer2 Saturday #8
Marcuse Saturday #10

Response to milestogo (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:22 AM

1. Cunt was okay?

Why can't a boss's abuse be a cause of action, anyway? A boss who acts like that should be at least reprimanded. I only had one superior who acted against an abusive boss. I was forever loyal to that superior for the rest of the time I worked for him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to wryter2000 (Reply #1)

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:40 AM

3. Just a thought that maybe it's not the same word in England like the US

Even though we speak the same language england has many words that mean different things. Elevator vs lift for example.

Reply to this post

Response to jimfields33 (Reply #3)

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:04 AM

4. It has a different meaning

He was basically called a "bald exceedingly unpleasant stupid rotten" person.

It's the top of the insult escalation - jerk - moron - idiot - asshole- cunt. It wasn't originally gender-specific. Here, for some reason, it got associated with the vagina, and probably used by guys who didn't think b**** was insulting enough.

I wish it still were non-gender-specific, because sometimes there just aren't words for how truly rotten some people are.

Reply to this post

Response to FoxNewsSucks (Reply #4)

Sat May 14, 2022, 12:04 PM

7. They throw the c-word around a lot in the UK

so I guess its not as extreme, but its still something your manager shouldn't call you.

I cringe when I hear the word.

Reply to this post

Response to FoxNewsSucks (Reply #4)

Sat May 14, 2022, 12:53 PM

9. Actually the vulgar use meaning female genitalia goes back to Middle English,

and may be derived from Latin cunnus "female pudenda"

cunt (n.)
"female intercrural foramen," or, as some 18c. writers refer to it, "the monosyllable," Middle English cunte "female genitalia," by early 14c.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/cunt

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:38 AM

2. Ah, Bald!

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:25 AM

5. Bald...sexual harassment? Because women never lose their hair???? n/t

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:49 AM

6. I wonder if "pilgarlic" would be permissible.

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 12:07 PM

8. No one at work should talk like that to anyone

No matter their gender or anything. It's demeaning

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 04:51 PM

10. Sexual harassment at The British Bung Company? Hard to believe.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread