HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Pfizer's Covid Vaccine Pr...

Sat May 14, 2022, 08:43 AM

Pfizer's Covid Vaccine Protection Against Omicron Fades Just Weeks After Second & Third Doses, Study

- Forbes/MSN, May 13, 2022.

Topline: Immunity against the omicron coronavirus variant fades rapidly after a second and third dose of Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine, according to peer reviewed research published in JAMA Network Open on Friday, a finding that could support rolling out additional booster shots to vulnerable people as the variant drives an uptick in new cases across the country.

Key Facts: Levels of omicron-specific “neutralizing” antibodies—which can target the virus and stop it from replicating—decline rapidly after a second and third dose of Pfizer’s shot, according to the Danish study of 128 people who had received two or three doses. Antibody levels, which are associated with protection against infection and disease, fell within weeks of getting the shots and were much lower than the level of antibodies specific to the original and delta coronavirus variants, the researchers said.

Compared to original and delta variants, the proportion of omicron-specific antibodies detected in participants’ blood dropped “rapidly” from 76% four weeks after the second shot to 53% at weeks eight to 10 and 19% at weeks 12 to 14, the researchers found. Omicron-specific antibody levels increased after the third dose—nearly 21-fold at week three and nearly 8-fold at week four, compared to four weeks after the second dose—and the shot generated a detectable response in most people for at least eight weeks, the researchers said.

However, antibody levels started to drop as early as three weeks after the booster shot, falling 4.9-fold for the original variant, 5.6-fold for delta and 5.4-fold for omicron between weeks three and eight. The “transient” antibody response after doses two and three mean additional booster shots might be needed to combat the variant, particularly among older people, the researchers said. - Key Background: Experts and regulators broadly acknowledge the benefits of a third vaccine dose to top up flagging protection against serious illness and death. There is less consensus over whether additional shots are needed beyond that and questions over whether frequent boosting will be practical...

More,
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/pfizers-covid-vaccine-protection-against-omicron-fades-just-weeks-after-second-and-third-doses-study-finds/ar-AAXeI59

8 replies, 1254 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pfizer's Covid Vaccine Protection Against Omicron Fades Just Weeks After Second & Third Doses, Study (Original post)
appalachiablue Saturday OP
madaboutharry Saturday #1
appalachiablue Saturday #2
wnylib Saturday #5
appalachiablue Saturday #6
wnylib Saturday #7
appalachiablue Saturday #8
Timewas Saturday #3
TreasonousBastard Saturday #4

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2022, 08:52 AM

1. So would getting a second booster (shot #4) be a waste of time?

Sounds like that is what the case is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to madaboutharry (Reply #1)

Sat May 14, 2022, 09:02 AM

2. According to this report & not good. I'm on the fence

about the 2nd booster and may wait till late summer-early fall if there's a new gen vax that's more adapted to Omicron.

It depends on what you read...There's another article from Thurs. in LBN that I'll post here.

The AP Interview: US 'vulnerable' to COVID without new shots, Th., May 12
https://democraticunderground.com/10142916212

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Reply #2)

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:55 AM

5. I think the article is about testing for a NEW shot

That would be specific to omicron.

I don't think that it is about a second booster for the original shots. So getting a second booster of the original shot should be ok and beneficial.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #5)

Sat May 14, 2022, 03:56 PM

6. Hope so and I was also noting the article's comments

where people are discussing options. I had the 1st booster in Jan. and if I get a 2nd one now I may have to wait 6 mos., until October or later for an updated Omicron booster if it's available. I hope it's not an either/or. A 5th jab, whatever it takes.

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Reply #6)

Sat May 14, 2022, 04:47 PM

7. I got my 2nd booster as soon as it was available,

on the last day of March. Eligibility for it was age and at least 4 months since the first booster. I had just passed the 4 month date when I got the 2nd booster.

I had considered waiting a couple months but am glad now that I did not wait. I am in NY state, where infections and hospitalizations are rising quickly.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #7)

Sat May 14, 2022, 06:02 PM

8. Glad you're on it & I know NY is having a time. Lately I've

had to deal w/ some new projects but after reading recent news and this story below- tomorrow is VB-Day!! or bust..

https://democraticunderground.com/1016322715

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 09:03 AM

3. No telling

But there is no mention of the fourth shot in that article....

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 09:11 AM

4. Wait a few weeks and revisions will be out. I'm getting my...

second booster next week and will talk with them.

Generally, an extra dose or so of a vaccine isn't dangerous, but each one should be looked at.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread