HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » OK: Considers Database To...

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 03:48 PM

OK: Considers Database To Track Pregnant People, Anti-Abortion Bills GOP Gov. Promised To Sign

- HuffPost, Feb. 10, 2022. 'Oklahoma Considers Database For Pregnant People As Roe Hangs In The Balance.' Ed. - Conservative lawmakers have proposed a raft of extreme bills, which the governor has already promised to sign.'

The Oklahoma Legislature started its 2022 session this week with a slew of anti-abortion bills, which isn’t uncommon. “This is my 12th year in the legislature now, and it feels like every year we go through this,” said Oklahoma House Minority Leader Emily Virgin (D). But this year’s anti-abortion bills- 11 were pre-filed before the legislative session even began- bring fresh menace. The state’s Republican governor has already promised that he would sign any abortion restriction the Oklahoma Legislature sends his way.

Moreover, some bills, which clearly go beyond what’s allowed by Roe v. Wade and normally would immediately get bogged down in the court system, could actually become law given the looming U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which could upend 5 decades of abortion rights. And the bills coming to the floor range from extreme to downright dystopian, including one that would create a state-run database of some pregnant people in the state.

“[W]e have absolutely seen the bills get more and more extreme,” said Virgin. “That’s due to the national landscape and the conservative majority on the Supreme Court. I think the anti-abortion movement has been strengthened and emboldened by that. And with our current governor, it’s pretty likely that he’ll sign any anti-abortion bill that makes it to his desk.” Last year alone, Oklahoma passed a 6-week abortion ban, a “trigger” ban if the high court rules against Roe v. Wade, a total ban and restrictions on medication abortion and other measures restricting reproductive rights (almost all have been blocked in lower courts).

The 2022 pre-filed bills include two six-week abortion bans and a total ban with similar enforcement mechanisms to Texas’ draconian restriction that deputizes private citizens to sue to enforce the law. Other proposed measures give personhood status to fetuses, ban abortion at 30 days and add a constitutional amendment declaring Oklahoma does not protect the right to abortion...

- More,
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/oklahoma-considers-database-for-pregnant-people-as-roe-hangs-in-the-balance_n_61fc17dee4b0725faac6d865

26 replies, 1487 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply OK: Considers Database To Track Pregnant People, Anti-Abortion Bills GOP Gov. Promised To Sign (Original post)
appalachiablue Feb 2022 OP
DBoon Feb 2022 #1
ProudMNDemocrat Feb 2022 #2
Runningdawg Feb 2022 #3
ProudMNDemocrat Feb 2022 #4
Ka-Dinh Oy Feb 2022 #5
secondwind Feb 2022 #6
Budi Feb 2022 #7
appalachiablue Feb 2022 #8
The Jungle 1 Feb 2022 #9
Delmette2.0 Feb 2022 #16
niyad Feb 2022 #17
Judi Lynn Feb 2022 #19
Delmette2.0 Feb 2022 #22
niyad Feb 2022 #23
LastDemocratInSC Feb 2022 #10
appalachiablue Feb 2022 #11
ShazzieB Feb 2022 #21
slightlv Feb 2022 #12
ShazzieB Feb 2022 #20
slightlv Feb 2022 #24
niyad Feb 2022 #13
appalachiablue Feb 2022 #14
spike jones Feb 2022 #15
niyad Feb 2022 #18
staceywalker76 Apr 2022 #25
KS Toronado Apr 2022 #26

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 03:49 PM

1. Are these the same people who are opposed to "vaccine passports"?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 03:53 PM

2. Another state in which to avoid visiting at all costs.

What happens should a woman miscarry? Prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law based on intent to abort despite medical evidence to prove otherwise?

Reply to this post

Response to ProudMNDemocrat (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 03:58 PM

3. OK has already sent a woman to prison for a miscarriage. A Native woman.

Reply to this post

Response to Runningdawg (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 04:00 PM

4. So very wrong....

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 04:01 PM

5. I just keep wondering when they are going to

put women away in prison if they have a miscarriage. No matter the reason because it will be considered their fault it happened.

I know that sounds ridiculous but what they are doing now would it REALLY surprise anyone?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 04:06 PM

6. I'm 75 years old, and I can still remember these words back then (50's and 60's):

A WOMAN WILL ALWAYS FIND A WAY...

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 04:07 PM

7. Where do the pregnant women go to receive their Gov't mandated Scarlet Letter thru the pregnancy?

OK Govt funded Church?

Definition of scarlet letter

: a scarlet A worn as a punitive mark of adultery.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 04:18 PM

8. Yep, & support $ while mother carries, raises the child? Evil.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 04:52 PM

9. They don't even read the book they thump

After God formed man in Genesis 2, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”. Although the man was fully formed by God in all respects, he was not a living being until after taking his first breath.

Reply to this post

Response to The Jungle 1 (Reply #9)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 09:38 PM

16. I wonder tries it took for god to get this clay figure to actually breathe?

Reply to this post

Response to Delmette2.0 (Reply #16)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 10:26 PM

17. "Give my creation life". (Can somebody post that scene from "Young Frankenstein"?)

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #17)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 11:45 PM

19. Yay!🎆 🎇 🌟 ⚡️ ✨

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #19)

Fri Feb 11, 2022, 07:43 AM

22. That was awesome. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #19)

Fri Feb 11, 2022, 09:25 AM

23. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 05:17 PM

10. "Oklahoma Considers Database For Pregnant People"

How bland and generic. What they are seeking is a surveillance database targeting women. Maybe they can model it after the surveillance China uses in their 2 (now 3) children only policy.

Reply to this post

Response to LastDemocratInSC (Reply #10)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 06:20 PM

11. " Can it be said any colder, authoritarian or dystopian...

Reply to this post

Response to LastDemocratInSC (Reply #10)

Fri Feb 11, 2022, 02:53 AM

21. Sure, they can target it after China's policy...

...or they can go all out and model it on Nicolae Ceaușescu's Decree 770 in Romania, which outlawed both abortion and birth control AND created a system of monitoring all women of childbearing age on a monthly basis and following any detected pregnancies until birth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decree_770

Good times!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 07:11 PM

12. I know we all talk about a Handmaid's Tale...

but has anyone else here seen Rain without Thunder? That movie left me with such a horrible feeling because I could envision it happening as true life, even back in the 80's when I first saw the movie. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it... as a prelude to Handmaids Tale.

Reply to this post

Response to slightlv (Reply #12)

Fri Feb 11, 2022, 02:44 AM

20. I never heard of that movie until now.

So I googled, and it sounds fascinating!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105215/

Reply to this post

Response to ShazzieB (Reply #20)

Fri Feb 11, 2022, 06:00 PM

24. Do watch it

with both puffs at the ready for tears, and a pillow (at least) near at hand for hitting. It will make you sad and it will make you mad. It will also terrify you at how easily you see us slipping into it's grasp right now. We're much closer to it than to Handmaid's Tale, IMNSHO. It had such a profound effect on me, I've been wanting to talk to *someone* about it for all these many years!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 07:13 PM

13. and the WAR ON WOMEN continues apace. Would you consider cross-posting this in

Women's Rights And Issues? Thanks in advance.

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 09:19 PM

14. Done and thanks for the suggestion. War is Right @!&!!

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 09:34 PM

15. I think it is the Christian War on Women, and

it is a marker on the way to burning "witches' at the stake.

Reply to this post

Response to spike jones (Reply #15)

Thu Feb 10, 2022, 10:28 PM

18. The patriarchal War On Women crosses all religious and political lines.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 08:16 AM

25. Thoughts on a "pregnancy registry" to fight back?

I’d be interested in hearing more from the group on using data and technology to fight back on this legislation and support pregnant women at the same time.
Background, I am a RN of 25 years experience and work in the healthcare tech space.

My thoughts on this are to create a state level or national pregnancy registry that women can opt into for support:
a) women are able to learn more about what options exist for supportive care including social support programs (housing, food, medical care), adoption, and abortion (if legal in that state).
b) data is governed by all other HIPPA laws, same as any other medical care.

When the GOP gripes about spending taxpayer dollars to support women, the argument back is “yes, exactly, the father should be held financially responsible and not the tax payers”. Men (generically, “biological males” are 100% responsible for pregnancies.

Then, paternity is legally established using fetal DNA from a blood draw from the mom earlier in the pregnancy and the father has to start paying pregnancy care support before the child is born or face criminal prosecution. Don’t want to voluntarily give your DNA sample? Subpoena and a warrant to force them to do it. Rape by an unknown person? Crossmatch DNA with the criminal databases to see if it is from a known offender.

I just think there is a way to use knowledge and technology to help support women and reduce the political polarity of this issue, thoughts of the group?

Oh and one more thing, violence against women including pregnant women is already high. Forcing fathers to pay for their responsibility would likely increase violence, so the registry app would need to have a “get fast help” back door option to notify and summons the police to wherever the phone is. No more of this “women having to call and order a pretend pizza to find help” crap.

Reply to this post

Response to staceywalker76 (Reply #25)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 11:41 AM

26. Welcome to DU!

Longest first post I've ever seen, plus you make good points.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216623430

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread