HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Income test for Medicare ...

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 10:36 AM

Income test for Medicare dental under debate; gets pushback

(snip)

“It troubles us that groups like the American Dental Association, who you would think would want to get people dental coverage, are offering alternatives that would deny millions of people coverage,” said David Certner, AARP’s policy director.

“Entering a means tested benefit into Medicare is a nonstarter for us,” added Certner.

(snip)

However, there’s no precedent within Medicare for an income-limited benefit, said health policy expert Larry Levitt of the Kaiser Family Foundation.

“The presumption has always been that having Medicare as a universal program creates political sustainability,” Levitt said. “As soon as you start limiting Medicare benefits to only lower income beneficiaries, it could lose some of its political support.”

https://www.kgns.tv/2021/10/19/income-test-medicare-dental-under-debate-gets-pushback/

Allowing means testing is illogical as it weakens the program's strength of universality and it's patently unfair as well to people that make too much income to qualify.

11 replies, 1320 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Income test for Medicare dental under debate; gets pushback (Original post)
Uncle Joe Oct 20 OP
spooky3 Oct 20 #1
Uncle Joe Oct 20 #2
BeckyDem Oct 20 #6
drexelkathy Oct 20 #3
Uncle Joe Oct 20 #4
nykym Oct 20 #5
Hoyt Oct 20 #7
Uncle Joe Oct 20 #8
Voltaire2 Oct 20 #9
Hoyt Oct 20 #10
IbogaProject Oct 20 #11

Response to Uncle Joe (Original post)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 10:48 AM

1. I agree it will undermine public support and

Cost more to administer. Besides, higher income salary earners have been paying more for coverage they have not yet received throughout their careers, and paid premiums used to help others who can’t afford it. It’s really wrong then to deny them reasonable care once they retire and need their benefits—which they continue to pay more for, depending on income!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to spooky3 (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 10:54 AM

2. ...

Reply to this post

Response to spooky3 (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:19 AM

6. +1.

Spot on.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 10:55 AM

3. Existing dental coverage

Under Medicare is awful.

My poor mother couldn’t afford to have her dentures fixed…let alone any significant dental work done.

All dental “insurance” I have ever seen is awful. Medicare or not.

Reply to this post

Response to drexelkathy (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:00 AM

4. I never could understand our society's disconnect

in not recognizing, dental, vision and hearing as an essential part of good health?

There should be no exemptions for that.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:07 AM

5. Congress critters need to be

means tested.
If your net worth is more that say $500,000 then your salary goes into the general fud.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:30 AM

7. Unfortunately, dental coverage in Reconciliation package wasn't even expected to start until 2028.

Thus, it was questionable at best. Now, it's likely out completely.

Means Testing -- with all its negative connotations -- might get half or so of Medicare beneficiaries covered at some point way in the future. What's better, no one covered or poorest 30%, 40%, 50% who don't qualify for crummy MediCAID coverage?

I can darn sure use dental coverage, but doubt I'll ever see anything but a $1000 to $1500 benefit if I believe Joe Namath and switch to Medicare Advantage.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:49 AM

8. I totally agree with you that

dental coverage should come sooner than 2028, to a suffering person that's a long damn time to wait for decent coverage.

However I also believe that insofar as our society is concerned, that's a relative microsecond and I view means testing as a poison pill for a long time universal highly popular health care program despite it's shortcomings.

I believe that ultimately means testing Medicare would gain short term relief while gaining a long term carcinogen to the entire program.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:08 PM

9. As soon as it is means tested it becomes tainted

as welfare for those people.

Reply to this post

Response to Voltaire2 (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:45 PM

10. OK. We can just leave it as "those people" won't get dental,

as it is now with no means testing.

Besides, Medicare is essentially means tested in that higher income beneficiaries pay $500 a month Part B premiums while most pay $150 or so.

I get what you are saying, but I prefer some get coverage than what we have now, no dental coverage.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 04:59 PM

11. Any limits on who gets care or now is a waste

Any limits on who gets care or now is a waste of time and resources. Whether a given procedure is worth the cost or safe is another matter.

The key to cutting our outrageously high health care spending is to reduce the administrative overhead, cut the insurance companies out completely they just create profit through friction and making price discovery hard.

Finally we would have a single list of all health outcomes and what they cost, we'd be able to see what works and what is the best value for our health.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread