HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » CDC Says New Mask Guideli...

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 04:26 PM

CDC Says New Mask Guidelines Informed by Cape Cod Outbreak

This is on the first page of the Weekend edition.

POLITICS | HEALTH POLICY

CDC Says New Mask Guidelines Informed by Cape Cod Outbreak

Vaccinated people infected by Delta variant appeared to carry as much virus as those in unvaccinated cases

By Brianna Abbott
https://twitter.com/Brabbott42
[email protected]
Updated July 30, 2021 5:54 pm ET

A Covid-19 outbreak on Cape Cod helped prompt the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to urge some Americans to start wearing masks again, the agency said, because it demonstrated that vaccinated people infected with the Delta variant might be as contagious as those who are unvaccinated.

The CDC said in a report on Friday that 127 vaccinated people infected with the Delta variant during the outbreak appeared to carry as much virus as 84 unvaccinated or partially vaccinated people who became infected. The report referred to an outbreak in Barnstable County, Mass. Local officials there have said that at least 430 confirmed Covid-19 cases have been linked to one cluster following festivities over the July 4 weekend in Provincetown, on the tip of Cape Cod.

“High viral loads suggest an increased risk of transmission and raised concern that, unlike with other variants, vaccinated people infected with Delta can transmit the virus,” CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said Friday. “This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC’s updated mask recommendation.”

An internal CDC slide presentation earlier this week described the Delta variant as infectious as chickenpox, which used to sicken some four million Americans a year before a vaccine became available in the mid-1990s. The Delta variant is more transmissible than the common cold, seasonal flu and smallpox, but less contagious than measles, according to the presentation, which was first reported in the Washington Post.

“The war has changed,” the presentation said.

TO READ THE FULL STORY
SUBSCRIBE
SIGN IN

7 replies, 1202 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply CDC Says New Mask Guidelines Informed by Cape Cod Outbreak (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Jul 31 OP
Hugh_Lebowski Jul 31 #1
mopinko Jul 31 #2
Hugh_Lebowski Jul 31 #3
mopinko Jul 31 #4
Hugh_Lebowski Jul 31 #5
mopinko Jul 31 #6
Hugh_Lebowski Aug 2 #7

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 04:45 PM

1. So explain this to me ... doesn't viral load pretty much dictate 'how sick you are'?

How is that vaccinated people are becoming infected, having just as high a viral load as unvaccinated people ... but rarely become very sick like unvaccinated people do?

Does that condition last for a much shorter period of time, i.e. the virus quickly gains a foothold and grows like it does in the unvaccinated, but then their antibodies kick in way faster and knock it out, or what? Why does this matching viral load not translate to getting just as sick?

Only thing that makes sense to me is that this high-load condition lasts a much shorter period of time, but I never hear that reported, and it's pretty important factoid/piece of the equation, if it is indeed the case.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hugh_Lebowski (Reply #1)

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 05:09 PM

2. no.

there's a floor you have to hit to get a reaction, but from there it's anything.

Reply to this post

Response to mopinko (Reply #2)

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 05:11 PM

3. no.

idea what you're saying

Reply to this post

Response to Hugh_Lebowski (Reply #3)

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 05:13 PM

4. sorry.

there isnt really a correlation between viral load and symptoms.

Reply to this post

Response to mopinko (Reply #4)

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 05:20 PM

5. I guess that's the part I don't 'get' ...

I don't understand why not?

Reply to this post

Response to Hugh_Lebowski (Reply #5)

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 05:29 PM

6. me either.

i'm sure someone does, but it's not me.

Reply to this post

Response to mopinko (Reply #6)

Mon Aug 2, 2021, 01:36 AM

7. And as if on cue ... here's a doctor saying exactly what I was supposing :)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread