HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » New Trump scandal shows t...

Fri Jun 11, 2021, 08:22 PM

New Trump scandal shows the depth of his assault on America's democratic foundations

Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN

New revelations suggesting that the Trump administration abused Justice Department powers to target his political enemies underscore just how far the ex-President went to destroy cherished principles of American republican government.

They show that the true extent of assaults on democracy by Donald Trump are still coming to light and are probably even now not fully known.

But this is not just a drama about the alleged misbehavior of a former President. Taken together with the Republican Party's refusal to hold Trump -- who remains the GOP's dominant figure -- to account for the Capitol insurrection and its nationwide efforts to restrict voting, the new allegations also indicate that the freedoms and core values that have underpinned American life for two-and-a-half centuries remain in almost unprecedented peril.

In some of the most chilling exposÚs yet of Trump's autocratic tendencies, The New York Times late Thursday unveiled a secret scheme by prosecutors against members of Congress conducting presidential oversight.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/new-trump-scandal-shows-the-depth-of-his-assault-on-americas-democratic-foundations/ar-AAKX0Rn

2 replies, 807 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Trump scandal shows the depth of his assault on America's democratic foundations (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jun 11 OP
2naSalit Jun 11 #1
Hugh_Lebowski Jun 11 #2

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Fri Jun 11, 2021, 08:27 PM

1. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Fri Jun 11, 2021, 08:50 PM

2. I'd like to see our Congress openly threaten to make laws precluding the Executive Branch

from abusing their authority in this manner.

Especially given that the co-equal legislative branch are THEMSELVES, the victims of this abuse.

I'm relatively sure someone will pop in to tell me how ridiculous my idea is, however, and why we shouldn't expect something this dramatic to even be attempted.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread