HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Antisemitism Spikes, And ...

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 01:57 PM

Antisemitism Spikes, And Many Jews Wonder: Where Are Our Allies?

For Alex Zeldin, it began as a normal Friday.

He was headed to Trader Joe's on New York City's Upper West Side to pick up some food for the Jewish Sabbath.

As usual, he was wearing his yarmulke, or skullcap. When he turned a corner, he realized that a couple of teenagers had started to follow him, spewing antisemitic insults.

"It took me about halfway down the block to realize that the thing that they were commenting on was they kept saying, 'Yarmulke': 'I want to take that yarmulke. I want to hit him in his head and take that yarmulke. That Jewish baby killer,' " Zeldin recalled.

more...

3 replies, 987 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Antisemitism Spikes, And Many Jews Wonder: Where Are Our Allies? (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Jun 8 OP
Budi Jun 8 #1
marble falls Jun 8 #2
FakeNoose Jun 8 #3

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 02:09 PM

1. K & R

Pitiful when our own members of Congress encourage the hate rhetoric, giving permission to thugs like these, rather than ask for peace & recognition for all US Citizens.
The very Oath they vowed to uphold.

Division & targeting in this country thru hate, by those in power, is the shame on America to last generations.

It's a sick & ignorant cultish tribalism they encourage on America's own citizens isn't it.

Those Congress people in positions of power had a choice & they chose to encourage the division & hate, like what we read of in your story.

It makes me ill.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 02:15 PM

2. We're everywhere. But not in every corner, not every deserted street, we are where we can be ...

... we've fought to the death against fascism and antisemitism, we fight it now everywhere we see it, we will fight to the death against it.

Never again. We will not be silent. We will not just stand by and never have. We will stand up and take the standard: Never again.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 07:53 PM

3. If there is any group in the US that's entitled to carry a concealed weapon

... it's the Jewish people. I won't ever condone violence but I do believe that self-defense is right and just. Our society must find a way to defend everyone including bullied, the old and the weak.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread