HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » GOP governors are cutting...

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 08:33 AM

GOP governors are cutting unemployment aid. Some have ties to businesses that may benefit.

Source: Washington Post

GOP governors are cutting unemployment aid. Some have ties to businesses that may benefit.

In West Virginia, the governor announced he was ending extra federal pandemic jobless benefits. Soon after, the resort he owns saw an uptick in job applications.

By Yeganeh Torbati
June 7, 2021 at 2:10 p.m. EDT

When West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice (R) announced his decision last month to cut federal unemployment benefits for his state’s jobless residents, he pointed to what he said was a plethora of openings for those who needed work.

“West Virginians have access to thousands of jobs right now. We need everybody back to work,” he said on May 14. “We’ve got to have you back to work. America is all about work. That’s what has made this great country."

Justice didn’t need to look far for examples of companies struggling to hire workers. The storied West Virginia resort he owns, the Greenbrier, has been looking for dozens of new employees in recent weeks and until recently had received far fewer applications than normal. But after Justice announced his decision, that started to change, said Kathy Miller, vice president of human resources at the luxury hotel.

“Fortunately the applicant pool has started to improve, so we’re very happy about that,” she said in an interview in late May, attributing the shift in part to the cutoff of extra federal payments and more widespread vaccinations. “I think that people are preparing, if they are under West Virginia unemployment, to get back into the workforce.”

Republican governors in 25 states are in the midst of a giant economic experiment, ceasing enhanced jobless aid for an estimated 4 million people, arguing that the generous benefits are dissuading people from going back to work. But a number of these governors have personal connections to businesses that are trying to find workers and could benefit from the policy change, according to a Washington Post review of financial disclosures from state elected officials.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/07/gop-pandemic-unemployment-aid/

1 replies, 1286 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP governors are cutting unemployment aid. Some have ties to businesses that may benefit. (Original post)
Eugene Jun 8 OP
mitch96 Jun 8 #1

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:00 AM

1. This makes perfect sense to the business man with a large labor force.. Labor is the big cost

The perfect employee is the one you don't pay.. aka a slave. No money, no benefits nada.. If you can't do that then pay very low wages, and work your way up... Hire everybody part time or "per diem" and send them home when the work is done.
I've seen this in many places.. Hitler used it to great effectiveness during the war. Slave labor made his war machine...
My background is hospitals and have seen the "per diem" dance many times... No work? go home, no pay... Busy? work over time...but since you are "per diem" on overtime pay..
The answer? Hell I don't know..
ymmv
m

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread