HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Fort Lauderdale police mi...

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 02:54 AM

Fort Lauderdale police mistook 'Star Trek' memorabilia for weapons: lawsuit

BY LEXI LONAS - 04/07/21 08:54 PM EDT

A lawsuit against the Fort Lauderdale Police Department alleges that officers mistook "Star Trek" memorabilia for weapons when they used excessive force in arresting two brothers.

Two brothers, Raymond and Randall Purcell, allege that their civil rights were violated when police used excessive force after responding to a call about one of their cars having been keyed, the Miami Herald reported.

When officers c and Alexander Paul arrived, they said there would be no investigation into who keyed the car because the damage was below $1,000.

. . .

Paul allegedly hit Raymond Purcell, who is 62 years old and disabled, with the butt of his gun, slammed him on the ground, pulled his arm so hard that it snapped and punched him in the face “with so much force that it knocked Raymond’s acrylic partial dentures out of his mouth,” the lawsuit states.

More:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/547062-fort-lauderdale-police-mistook-star-trek-memorabilia-for-weapons-lawsuit

Officer Steven Pohorence

~ ~ ~

Brothers sue two Fort Lauderdale police officers over forceful arrest
By BROOKE BAITINGER and MARIO ARIZA
SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL |
APR 07, 2021 AT 4:56 PM

FORT LAUDERDALE — A pair of brothers are suing two Fort Lauderdale police officers who they say entered their home unlawfully, beat them up and arrested them without cause.

Raymond and Randall Purcell filed the complaint against the city and officers Alexander Paul and Steven Pohorence, both accused in past cases of overzealous policing.

Pohorence was charged with battery after shoving a kneeling protester during a demonstration in downtown Fort Lauderdale on May 31.

The other officer, Paul, is being sued in another case after he shot a Broward man, Melvin Wring, while on duty at Broward’s main bus terminal in June 2019.

More:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-ne-brothers-sue-fort-lauderdale-officers-20210407-hwzk4g7oxrabtnbaptblr4ixye-story.html

10 replies, 1489 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fort Lauderdale police mistook 'Star Trek' memorabilia for weapons: lawsuit (Original post)
Judi Lynn Thursday OP
XanaDUer2 Thursday #1
d_r Thursday #2
LT Barclay Thursday #3
d_r Thursday #4
LT Barclay Thursday #5
d_r Friday #6
discntnt_irny_srcsm Friday #8
d_r Friday #9
discntnt_irny_srcsm Friday #7
d_r Friday #10

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 08:07 AM

1. They called for help and were assaulted? Nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 08:10 AM

2. to further clarify

In depositions, the officers said they felt threatened because of weaponry they saw displayed on the brother’s walls earlier that day — items that the brothers say are harmless Star Trek memorabilia and collectibles.

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 02:38 PM

3. Well to be fair to the officers

The Enterprise crew have travelled back in time on a few occasions, so it could have been a working phaser.

Reply to this post

Response to LT Barclay (Reply #3)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 08:03 PM

4. It could have that episode

On gangster world or roman empire world I guess.

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #4)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 10:58 PM

5. There was an original series episode where they

Had to ensure that a NASA launch was completed,it had Terri Garr in it.
And the fourth movie was time travel back to the "today" of the movie.
I'm waiting for a crossover with the "Back to the Future" movies, although maybe Matt Frewer in a TNG episode is as close as I can get.

Reply to this post

Response to LT Barclay (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 9, 2021, 06:08 PM

6. I honestly feel like that episode

Was meant to be a pilot for a spin off show or something. It had such a weird feel to it.

And there was the Dr. Mccoy goes crazy and the me travels back and falls in love and doesnt want the lady to die but she has to, and nazi world, and the coms and yankees world. They were using it as a plot device before they ever had holidecks, you know? And fight at the ok coral with Able Lincoln.

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 9, 2021, 10:05 PM

8. It was meant to be a pilot

"This story served as a "back door" pilot for a proposed new series. Gary Seven was an Earthman from the future who had been sent back in time to combat the Omegans, an evil alien people who'd mastered time travel. The pilot however didn't sell and was never made into a television series."

Reply to this post

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 9, 2021, 10:55 PM

9. I always thought

It seemed odd. Thanks for that information. It makes a lot of sense, it's a shame too. It sounds like it would have been a other fun program to watch after school, like an American dr. Who

Reply to this post

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 9, 2021, 10:57 PM

10. Yes! I forgot the cat!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread