HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Legal Documents Show Manc...

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 01:27 PM

Legal Documents Show Manchin Has Stakes in Companies That Pay Less Than $15 an Hour

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), the most prominent Democratic opponent of a $15 federal minimum wage, has a financial stake in at least one company that apparently would have to increase pay if such a measure passed, TYT has learned.

The Senate parliamentarian said last week she does not think the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package is eligible for passage by a simple majority if it includes the hourly wage increase. Her guidance shifted the focus of progressive efforts from Manchin to Vice President Kamala Harris, who could reject the parliamentarian’s finding.

But Manchin, along with Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), could find himself back in the spotlight if Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) succeeds in forcing a vote this week on the $15 minimum wage, as he has vowed to do. Manchin has said he would accept an $11 hourly minimum wage as part of coronavirus relief, but progressives have said that's not enough.

Last month, a spokesperson for Manchin justified his opposition to the $15 minimum by saying the senator “understands the challenges facing…[West Virginia] small business owners.” But Manchin has not publicly acknowledged that he is one of those small business owners.

The real extent of his business interests is unclear, as Manchin has never fully disclosed them as required on his Senate ethics filings. The right-wing group Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust, which does not disclose its donors, filed an ethics complaint in 2018 seeking to force Manchin to disclose the full specifics of his business holdings.

But court filings related to bankruptcy proceedings and a Manchin family dispute that went public have identified some of companies in which Manchin allegedly has a financial stake, including a hotel and a chain of flooring stores. Both companies would apparently have to increase employee pay if Congress passes a $15 minimum wage.

https://tyt.com/stories/4vZLCHuQrYE4uKagy0oyMA/26dKy4vZXZLpETF3rbg6td

9 replies, 1866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Legal Documents Show Manchin Has Stakes in Companies That Pay Less Than $15 an Hour (Original post)
douglas9 Mar 4 OP
Irish_Dem Mar 4 #1
Budi Mar 4 #5
Irish_Dem Mar 4 #9
FoxNewsSucks Mar 4 #2
pandr32 Mar 4 #3
Budi Mar 4 #6
pandr32 Mar 4 #8
Budi Mar 4 #4
lagomorph777 Mar 4 #7

Response to douglas9 (Original post)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 01:30 PM

1. Has anyone looked at the bank account and portfolio of the parliamentarian?

Just curious.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 02:02 PM

5. Are you serious? WHY the Parlimentarian?

What does the parlimentarian have to do with Manchin's financials?

Wow..

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #5)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 05:14 PM

9. I like connecting dots.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 01:46 PM

2. So he won't disclose his business conflicts of interest, "as required"

and we now see his motivation to block the minimum wage increase. And his daughter jacked up epipen prices 500%.

I get the numeric majority his "D" counts toward, what I don't get are people right here on this site who fervently defend him and say things like "I Love Joe Manchin!!!!"

If it were Schmuck Assley (R-IA) and spawn doing that, I know what people would be saying. Seems just as dishonest and sleazy no matter who does it.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 01:49 PM

3. It is way past time to require Congress to convert portfolios to cash position

At least while they serve in order to preserve integrity. Anyone who wants to become a public servant should be required to do so. Self-enrichment and public service do not go together.

Reply to this post

Response to pandr32 (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 02:15 PM

6. K & R Thank You!

Add private PACS to that list also.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #6)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 03:47 PM

8. Agreed

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 01:59 PM

4. THIS is exactly why the $15 should be legislated & debated as a stand alone

Thanks for making the perfect case TYTurks!

Bernie should demand it be pulled from the budget bill, and be debated on it's own.
To risk the entire Budget vote by trying to push 15 thru on it is totally selfish.
Battle Manchin hard as needed, but ffs, the controversy on this one item alone needs to be given the time for debate.

People are hanging on for the $1400 & all the other benefits to the pakage.
If this $15 mn wage issue holds up the entire vote, pull it.
But ffs DO NOT deny the other benefits because of one issue that never ever had the votes to pass in the 1st place.

This is on Sen Sanders to pull it & deal with exposing Manchin when the time is availible to do so.

It isn't the Parlimentarian's fault NOR VP Harris.
It is the unmoveable force of those like Manchin & I along with many are becoming more impatient with Sen Sanders for beating this old horse that should be moved to its own stable .

TYT has made the perfect case here, for a stand aline $15 mn wage bill.

IT NEVER HAD THE VOTES & NEVER WILL IN THIS BUDGET BILL.
Stop blaming everyone from the Parlimentarian to VP Harris.

This is on Sen Sanders to stop the stalemate & approach it seperately.
DO NOT RISK THE ENTIRE BUDGET.
A trillion $$$ budget bill & all we've heard from the Chair of the Budget Comm is the min wage issue.

And who's going to be blamed this week for something that never had the votes to pass.

Saying nasty things about Manchin isn't goung to make him change his mind. Expose all his corruption, but do it aside from the passage of the budget bill.

Knock it off & pull the $15 already.

We'd kinda like the REST OF THE Benefits Pres Biden included in his Budget.
The one's that have a chance of passing a vote.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 03:13 PM

7. I think oppo research is good idea here.

I applaud this revelation.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread