HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Pasco, FL schools lose gr...

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 01:39 AM

Pasco, FL schools lose grant funding over student data sharing with police

An original DU thread from 2020 links to reporting about the school district sharing data with the sheriff on students getting D's and F's and who are absent more than a few times a year: https://www.democraticunderground.com/104511586

The official excuse is that it is "to help the children" (although it is unclear what the sheriff does with the data that "helps" the children), when, in fact, the sheriff is using the data to keep tabs on who is likely to become a criminal in the future. They're using the data to pre-judge the kids and use as de-facto probable cause in advance of any possible crimes as yet committed by the kids. Classic East German Stasi-style surveillance of citizens.

Now, an organization that gives millions of dollars to the school district is halting all further donations after learning about the practice:
https://www.tampabay.com/investigations/2021/02/27/foundation-cuts-off-pasco-schools-citing-data-sharing/

How this kind of data sharing is legal is beyond me. It's exactly the type of thing that conservatives are against, in terms of monitoring the people by the government. And yet it goes largely un-complained about in this majority Republican county.

2 replies, 1078 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pasco, FL schools lose grant funding over student data sharing with police (Original post)
SpankMe Feb 28 OP
exboyfil Feb 28 #1
hatrack Feb 28 #2

Response to SpankMe (Original post)

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 10:01 AM

1. Feels like Minority Report

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SpankMe (Original post)

Sun Feb 28, 2021, 03:43 PM

2. "School Resource Officer" - possibly my least favorite euphemism of all time

Reply to this post