HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » The American flag should ...

Wed Feb 24, 2021, 11:23 PM

The American flag should unite, not divide us, Gov. DeSantis. Take a cue from Sears

Whatís built into a flag?

A whole lot of emotion, history ó and, in Florida these days, questionable patriotism.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is using Old Glory to make a political statement, igniting a partisan battle in the state over whether the flag at the Capitol should be flown at half-staff in honor of controversial hard-right talk-show host Rush Limbaugh.

As a matter of personal ethics, Iíd rather not write about a person who has died if I donít have anything good to say ó although I do make exceptions for dictators. And, this time, Iíll make an exception for Limbaugh, who died last week from lung cancer. By spreading the bigotry he carried in his heart against immigrants ó and Hispanics, specifically ó he carved for hate speech a political platform in this country.

Itís wrong for the governor, who is catering to the extremist elements in the Republican Party, to honor Limbaugh with a symbol as powerful as the U.S. flag flying at the state Capitol in Tallahassee.

Itís especially tone deaf after the Stars and Stripes was so abhorrently desecrated during the recent attack on the Capitol by a white supremacist mob.

-more-

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-flag-unite-not-divide-110000955.html

2 replies, 980 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The American flag should unite, not divide us, Gov. DeSantis. Take a cue from Sears (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Feb 24 OP
Skittles Feb 26 #1
Stuart G Feb 26 #2

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 06:34 AM

1. who is a bigger piece of shit, DeSantis or Abbott

it's like picking the worst Menendez brother

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 12:25 PM

2. Thank You for Posting This Article...K and R..no text.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread