HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » A just monument to the Tr...

Wed Feb 24, 2021, 12:41 PM

A just monument to the Trump presidency: Bury the 500,000 COVID dead at Mar-a-Lago

Robert E. Lee's home, now Arlington National Cemetery, became a final resting place for Union soldiers in 1864. We should follow the Union example.

Jason Sattler
Opinion columnist

How can we honor the more than half-million Americans who lost their lives to COVID-19 while marking former President Donald Trump’s shameless failure to “preserve, protect and defend” this country and its Constitution?

Easy. Let’s bury the dead at Mar-a-Lago.

This small measure of justice would have an obvious historical precedent. Arlington, the former home of Robert E. Lee that is now Arlington National Cemetery, became a final resting place for Union soldiers in the spring 1864 — after 82,000 soldiers died in one month of fighting. Who could argue this wasn’t a just punishment? Lee had abandoned his post in the U.S. Army to lead the army of what Frederick Douglass called the “slaveholders' rebellion.”

Lee’s treachery was obvious. Trump’s crimes against his country, however, are far more devious, and continue as he remains dedicated to undermining our democracy. The ex-president tried to refuse to give up his power, even after he was defeated in a fair election. And you cannot dissect the ex-president’s incitement against Congress, his vice president and our constitutional order from his monstrous approach to the pandemic.

more
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/02/22/trump-legacy-bury-half-million-covid-dead-mar-a-lago-column/4535394001/

4 replies, 1418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply A just monument to the Trump presidency: Bury the 500,000 COVID dead at Mar-a-Lago (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 24 OP
AKwannabe Feb 24 #1
N_E_1 for Tennis Feb 24 #2
BigmanPigman Feb 24 #3
Skittles Feb 26 #4

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Feb 24, 2021, 12:43 PM

1. Would not want my relatives there

And HELL NO TO MYSELF BE BURIED THERE!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to AKwannabe (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 24, 2021, 01:12 PM

2. +1,000...nt

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 24, 2021, 08:26 PM

3. I'd rather go to the source and bury tRump

at his beloved FL club. I wish Mar-a-logo will get sucked into the earth like the house did at the end of Carrie. The whole place is a dump cesspool.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 26, 2021, 06:06 AM

4. jeez, what did they do to deserve THAT?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread