HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » For anti-Trump Americans,...

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 09:53 PM

For anti-Trump Americans, calamity spurs a muted sense of vindication

By Matt Viser

For the past four years, a parade of Democrats and establishment Republicans had shouted alarm about the noxious brand of politics that President Trump had nurtured, saying that it would lead to potentially deadly repercussions and a political repudiation.

Over the course of a 24-hour period last week, both of those fearful predictions came to pass, as the worst aspects of what Trump has wrought were put on full view and he, his party and the nation faced significant consequences.

First, Republicans lost two Senate races they had been favored to win in the usually conservative state of Georgia, giving Democrats full control in Washington as Trump’s party blamed him for the losses. Next, Trump incited his supporters with false allegations about the November election and directed them to the U.S. Capitol, where the mob mounted a deadly attack on another branch of the government, and on democracy itself.

It was no outside force, only the actions of Trump and his supporters, that brought on calamity. In its wake was left a shaken nation and a mix of reactions among those who had long sounded the warnings that last week became undeniable. Yet any sense of vindication was buried under the horror of Wednesday’s insurrection at the Capitol.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/capitol-riot--vindication-trump/2021/01/09/4195a966-5216-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

8 replies, 1312 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply For anti-Trump Americans, calamity spurs a muted sense of vindication (Original post)
Zorro Jan 10 OP
RandySF Jan 10 #1
Skittles Jan 10 #2
RandySF Jan 10 #3
Skittles Jan 10 #4
ThoughtCriminal Jan 10 #5
love_katz Jan 11 #6
czarjak Jan 11 #7
malthaussen Jan 11 #8

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 09:57 PM

1. This is bullshit.

Nobody on the left took any pleasure in what went down last week.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RandySF (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 10:17 PM

2. you don't feel a sense of I TOLD YOU SO?

or that HILLARY WARNED US?

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 10:22 PM

3. I've been relating ithat since 2017.

In the hope that someone would listen. Now I’m just depressed.

Reply to this post

Response to RandySF (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 10:26 PM

4. the article doesn't mention pleasure

it's like....lots of us remember thinking about this kind of stuff when that Putin-owned piece of shit was "elected", and it has come to pass

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:29 PM

5. Living like Cassandra since 1980

Vindicated repeatedly but still ignored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 11, 2021, 12:38 AM

6. I agree with Skittles.

The article is behind a pay wall, so I can't read more than what the OP posted, but most of us have been aware of looming disaster ever since the Orange Anus won the Republiturds nomination. We knew it not only wasn't going to end well, but that very bad things were in our future. The party of Greedy Old Pigs had been promoting policies that oppressed women, POC, and the poor for many years, and they were also trying to implement fascism. Agolf Twitler has been their best vehicle yet to achieve the destruction of democracy.

Reply to this post

Response to love_katz (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 11, 2021, 01:59 AM

7. Custom made. Period.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 11, 2021, 12:46 PM

8. What "establishment Republicans" is he talking about?

Until, say, the last year, there was not a single GOP voice raised in dissent to Donald Trump's schemes. Let's not beatify the Johnny Newcomes who finally decided the wind was blowing in the other direction and started making noise in opposition.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread