HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Nearly 80 years after the...

Mon Sep 28, 2020, 08:50 PM

Nearly 80 years after the Babyn Yar massacre, Ukrainian researchers lift victims out of anonymity

For most of his life, all the information Igor Kulakov had about his paternal great-grandparents was their picture, their names and the fact that they had been murdered during the Holocaust.

The assumption in his family had always been that Sheindle and Mordechai Sova were shot at Babyn Yar (often spelled “Babi Yar”), a ravine on Kyiv’s outskirts where German troops massacred at least 33,000 Jews in September 1941, in one of the largest massacres of the Holocaust.

But beyond that, he was unable to unearth any further details, even after attempting to research the subject in the Kyiv city archives. As he grew older, the uncertainty began to have a psychological effect on him.

“I would get physically ill whenever I needed to pass near Babyn Yar,” he told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

more...

2 replies, 625 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nearly 80 years after the Babyn Yar massacre, Ukrainian researchers lift victims out of anonymity (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Sep 28 OP
COLGATE4 Sep 29 #1
marble falls Sep 29 #2

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Tue Sep 29, 2020, 12:02 AM

1. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Tue Sep 29, 2020, 11:04 AM

2. Baruch dayan ha'emet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread