HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Trump's Remarks in Press ...

Tue Aug 11, 2020, 09:41 PM

Trump's Remarks in Press Briefing; August 11, 2020

REMARKS

Remarks by President Trump in Press Briefing | August 11, 2020
Issued on: August 11, 2020

James S. Brady Press Briefing Room

5:37 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. Nice to be with you all. Good evening.

Before providing today’s update on the China virus, I want to address the violence, looting, and rioting taking place in the Democrat-controlled cities of New York, Portland, Chicago, and Seattle. The mayors and governors of these states and cities have an absolute duty to use all resources necessary to end the violence and all of the injury and death.

New York City has an army of great police. I know them very well. And the law enforcement and the New York’s Finest are as good as it gets, and they should be allowed to do their job. If they do their job, if they’re allowed to do their job, the New York City problem will be solved and be solved quickly. They do it well.

The mayor, Bill de Blasio, should immediately hire back all of the police who were fired without justification. They were fired. I guess that’s part of “Defund the Police” by the Democrats. They should hire New York City’s Finest back. You have some incredible policemen doing specific jobs that nobody else can do, actually, when it comes to terrorism and other things.

{snip}

What you’re seeing in Portland and Seattle, New York, Chicago is really the Democrat roadmap for America. They want every city in America to resemble Portland, in a form. They want to pass federal legislation gutting and hamstringing every police department in America. They want to get rid of your Second Amendment. They want to end cash bail; close prisons; defund police departments — or at least largely defund. You see that with New York. A billion dollars they took out of their police department, and crime has gone through the roof. And appoint far-left prosecutors who side with the criminals and target law-abiding citizens. If the left gains power, no city, town, or suburb in our country will be safe.

{snip}

As we safely restore our great economy and reopen our schools — and hopefully we can watch colleges play football. We want to get football in colleges. These are young, strong people. They won’t have a big problem with the China virus. So we want to see college football start, and, hopefully, a lot of great people are going to be out there. They’re going to be out there, playing football, and they’ll be able to fight it off. And hopefully, it won’t bother them one bit. Most of them will never get it, statistically. But we know we’ll see more cases at some point, and we will eventually develop sufficient immunity, in addition to everything else that we’re doing.

So, college football, get out there and play football. People want to see it. And stand for your American flag, stand for your national anthem because people are not happy when that doesn’t happen.

You look at the NBA and what’s happening with the NBA and their poor ratings. I don’t know; can’t imagine why. But they didn’t stand, they didn’t show respect to our flag. They didn’t show respect to our anth- — our National Anthem. And maybe that’s having an impact, but just not good.

The NFL had its problems, two years ago, when that happened. They went way down in their ratings and their fans, and they struggled back. And now, all of a sudden, they’re putting themselves in the same position. So stand for your flag and stand for the National Anthem, and I think you’re going to do fantastically well. Because a lot of people aren’t going to watch if you don’t; I’m one of them.

{snip}

Okay. Questions, please? Please, go ahead.

Q Thank you, Mr. President. Twenty million people are due to be evicted from their homes next month.

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah.

Q And are you — do you fear that this could be your Herbert Hoover mo- — moment if you do not reach a deal with Congress to set up a new CARES Act?

THE PRESIDENT: No, we are — we are not allowing that to happen. We’re stopping evictions. We are stopping evictions. We’re not going to let that happen.

Q And also —

THE PRESIDENT: We’re not going to evict people. We’re not going to let people — the Democrats, maybe they don’t care, but I care. And we signed an executive offer — you know, executive order. You know that, right? And we are not letting people be evicted.

Q There was a suggestion —

THE PRESIDENT: Please.

Q Thank you. Thank you, President Trump. If I could have two questions, I’d like to ask you one about Senator Harris’s record and then a different one about FISA abuse.

THE PRESIDENT: Sure.

Q So, regarding Senator Harris’s record: You had a pretty quick response to that. You had an ad out that said that she was a “phony.” And I wanted to drill down —

THE PRESIDENT: That she was a what?

Q A phony. A phony.

THE PRESIDENT: Oh.

Q And I wanted to ask about a specific example that a lot of people thought was a phony moment. As San Francisco DA, she oversaw, according to the Mercury News, 1,900 marijuana convictions. But she was asked in an interview last year if she had smoked marijuana, and she appeared to joke and, according to some people, lie, and say that she was listening to Snoop Dogg and Tupac, while — their music hadn’t come out at the time, while she said she was smoking pot and listening to it. Why would she lie about that? Do you see that as more evidence — is her past on marijuana a liability?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, she lied. I mean, she said things that were untrue. She is a person that’s told many, many stories that weren’t true. She’s very big into raising taxes. She wants to slash funds for our military at a level that nobody has — can even believe.

She is against fracking. Fracking is — she’s against petroleum products. I mean, how do you do that and go into Pennsylvania or Ohio or Oklahoma or the great state of Texas? She is against fracking; fracking is a big deal.

She is in favor of socialized medicine, where you’re going to lose your doctors, you’re going to lose your plans. She wants to take your healthcare plans away from 180 million Americans — 180 million Americans that are very happy with their health insurance. And she wants to take that away.

So she was my number-one pick. I mean, she was — as they would say, because hopefully you’ll start college football — she was my number-one draft pick. And we’ll see how she works out.

She did very, very poorly in the primaries, as you know. She was expected to do well, and she was — she ended up at right around 2 percent, and spent a lot of money. She had a lot of things happening. And so I was a little surprised that he picked her. I’ve been watching her for a long time, and I was a little surprised.

She was extraordinarily nasty to Kavanaugh — Judge Kavanaugh, then; now Justice Kavanaugh. She was nasty to a level that was just a horrible thing. The way she was — the way she treated now-Justice Kavanaugh. And I won’t forget that soon.

So she did very poorly in the primaries, and now she’s chosen. So let’s see how that all works out.

Q Should supporters of marijuana legalization vote for you, rather than her, because she convicted so many people in the past?

THE PRESIDENT: I can’t tell you what she’s voting for. I don’t think she knows what — I think Joe knows even less than she does. But I was only surprised at the pick. A lot of people were saying, “That might be the pick.” I was more surprised than anything else, because she did so poorly. Many people did much better than her in the primary. She did very poorly in the primaries. And that’s like a poll. You know, that’s like a poll.

Please.

Q Can I also ask you about FISA abuse, President Trump?

THE PRESIDENT: Go ahead.

Q Yes, about FISA abuse: So, now it’s widely accepted among Republicans that there was FISA abuse in —

THE PRESIDENT: Tremendous FISA abuse.

Q The Justice Department IG has found out, with Carter Page foreign application. But we were actually warned in 2013 that the Surveillance Court was, allegedly, a rubber stamp. It was approving surveillance.

And I was wondering — I don’t think, as President, you’ve commented on Edward Snowden, but do you think he should be allowed to return without going to prison?

THE PRESIDENT: So as far FISA abuse is concerned, there was tremendous FISA abuse. It’s amazing that it’s taken this long. And everyone knows that it’s been proven very substantially. Not only FISA abuse — changing documents and putting documents in front of the FISA court and courts that are disgraceful that they could have done it.

And the fact is we caught Joe Biden, President Obama, the whole group. You can look at Brennan and Comey and Clapper and the whole group. We caught them spying on our campaign. This was an illegal act like no other illegal act. This was treason. This was at the highest level of treason. And Obama and Biden got caught spying on my campaign, using intelligence agencies of the United States government to do it, both before and after the election. So before the election and then after I won, they continued. It’s totally illegal activity, and now we just have to see what’s happening.

But as far as Kamala is concerned, she’s a big tax raiser, she’s a big slasher of funds for our military, and she’s got a lot of difficult things that she’s going to have to explain. Plus, she was very, very nasty to — one of the reasons it surprised me, she was very — she was probably nastier than even Pocahontas to Joe Biden. She was very disrespectful to Joe Biden. And it’s hard to pick somebody that’s that disrespectful. When she said things during the debates — during the Democrat primary debates — that were horrible about Sleepy Joe. And I would think that he wouldn’t have picked.

OAN, please. Please. Thank you very much.

Q Thank you. Thank you, Mr. President. Yesterday, Seattle City Council voted to cut funding for their police department, and the chief — the police chief there, Carmen Best; the first black woman to serve in that capacity — she resigned hours later. What does this say about our country? And what does this say about the Defund Police movement?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think that Seattle, in spite of all that they’ve been through, with the embarrassment of having a radical left group — Antifa and others — take over a big portion of the city of Seattle — we’re talking about a big city, a major city. That they allowed that to happen is incredible. That it took so long to fix is incredible. And the only reason they went in is because they knew we were going in the following day, and so they preceded us. They didn’t want that to happen. They don’t want to be embarrassed.

And the people just gave up. They weren’t — they were exhausted from having taken over a city for so long.

The police commissioner seems like a very good woman. They were going to slash her salary by 40 or 50 percent. And they cut a tremendous amount off the police department — really, where people are saying it’s not sustainable as a good police department. And, again, those police are good also, but they’re not allowed to do their job.

So I think it’s a shame. I hate to see her go, because she did, in her own way, a very good job, but she wasn’t effective in convincing the mayor and the city council to give the funds that were needed or just leave the funds the way they are.

They’ve done a big — a big defund, a big part of it. And it’ll probably get worse before people realize this is a tragic error, before people start dying and getting hurt very badly. So I think Seattle has made a tragic mistake. I think Portland has no clue as to what they’re doing. They have no clue. And hopefully, there’ll be asking for help because we can solve their problem very, very quickly.

Yeah, go ahead.

Q Thank you, Mr. President. Two quick questions. One on Senator Harris: Very simply, is she going to help former Vice President Biden’s chances in November? Or is she going to hurt his chances?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I like Vice President Mike Pence much better. He is solid as a rock. He’s been a fantastic Vice President. He’s done everything you can do. He’s respected by every religious group. Whether it’s evangelical, whether it’s any other group, they respect Mike Pence.

He’s been a great Vice President, and I will take him over Kamala and the horrible way she, again, treated Justice Kavanaugh. That was a horrible event. I thought it was terrible for her. I thought it was terrible for our nation. I thought she was the meanest, the most horrible, most disrespectful of anybody in the U.S. Senate.

She’s also known, from what I understand, as being just about the most liberal person in the U.S. Senate. And I would have thought that Biden would have tried to stay away from that a little bit. Because with what they’re doing with open borders and sanctuary cities — where they’re trying to protect sanctuary cities, which is also protecting a large number of criminals; with all of the things that they’re doing — Second Amendment. They want to take away your Second Amendment or modify it to a point where it’s essentially no longer the Second Amendment. I would have thought he would have gone a different way.

Thank you very much, everybody.

END

6:06 P.M. EDT

0 replies, 429 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread