HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 'It's like night and day'...

Thu Jul 9, 2020, 06:01 PM

'It's like night and day': Trudeau's and Trump's Covid-19 responses fuel wildly different outcomes

Leyland Cecco in Toronto
Thu 9 Jul 2020 05.15 EDT
Last modified on Thu 9 Jul 2020 16.00 EDT

Donald Trump marked the Fourth of July with an apocalyptic speech at Mount Rushmore in which he stoked partisan grievance and deployed racist dog whistles, ignoring calls for unity as coronavirus cases surge.

Three days earlier, Justin Trudeau chose a more low-key location to celebrate Canada’s own national holiday. The prime minister and his family were photographed harvesting vegetables at an Ottawa food bank farm. Unlike Trump and most of his supporters, they all wore face-masks as they sorted through bundles of broccoli.

The appearances by the two image-conscious leaders were emblematic of two wildly different leadership styles during the pandemic, which have helped one country slow the virus – and plunged the other into its worst health crisis in recent history.

As the US blew past 3 million infections on Wednesday, Trudeau expressed cautious optimism that Canada had stabilized the outbreak, and took a rare public jab at the Trump administration’s efforts during the pandemic.

“We were able to control the virus better than many of our allies, particularly including our neighbour,” Trudeau said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/09/canada-coronavirus-us-justin-trudeau-donald-trump

Yes, I'm a fan of Trudeau. I suspect I may not be alone here.

4 replies, 623 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'It's like night and day': Trudeau's and Trump's Covid-19 responses fuel wildly different outcomes (Original post)
Senor Insomne Jul 9 OP
MyOwnPeace Jul 9 #1
Name removed Jul 9 #3
MyOwnPeace Jul 9 #4
katmondoo Jul 9 #2

Response to Senor Insomne (Original post)

Thu Jul 9, 2020, 06:13 PM

1. Frankly, I'm jealous!

Not only of your leadership, but of your seemingly sane collection of people governing your country.
Oh, and I'd sign up for your medical coverage faster than BunkerBoy could tweet "Obama did it!"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MyOwnPeace (Reply #1)

Response to Name removed (Reply #3)

Thu Jul 9, 2020, 10:13 PM

4. Well, that clears THAT up!

and I guess one of the "differences" between "there" and "the states" would be the "slightly-cooler" issue that they have!

Reply to this post

Response to Senor Insomne (Original post)

Thu Jul 9, 2020, 06:20 PM

2. My Grandparents came from Quebec I wish they had never left.

My father and all of his siblings were born here in the US. I have lots of relatives going back to the 1600's who live in Canada.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread