HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 'It really is crowded; it...

Fri Apr 24, 2020, 06:46 PM

'It really is crowded; it's too crowded': Locals in small towns like Sedona, Arizona, say hiking tr

Sedona is a beautiful place to be. I was there about 5 years ago. Anyway. Interesting story.

'It really is crowded; it's too crowded': Locals in small towns like Sedona, Arizona, say hiking trails and campgrounds are full of people who fled big cities to hunker down in their 2nd homes

https://www.businessinsider.com/people-leaving-cities-small-towns-sedona-arizona-2020-4
Katie Warren 2 hours ago

Private jets seen at Sedona Airport on April 21. Kent Nishimura / Los Angeles Times via Getty Image

Sedona, an artsy desert town of 10,300 people in Arizona, has seen an influx of urbanites coming to shelter in their second homes, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The mayor has asked visitors to stay away, saying tourists have been crowding popular hiking trails and local campgrounds, according to the LA Times.
"It's incredible," the mayor said. "It really is crowded; it's too crowded."
In small towns and vacation communities across the US, from the Hamptons to Jackson, Wyoming, locals are complaining of an influx of people from big cities coming to stay in vacation homes and rentals.

Across the US, people have been fleeing big cities to ride out the coronavirus pandemic in small towns and locals are not happy about it.

Scott MacDonald, an investment manager from Denver, told the LA Times that he'd driven to Sedona earlier in April with his wife and two children to stay at a $8,000-a-month rental home overlooking the town.

As cities like New York City and San Francisco battle some of the worst outbreaks in the country, urbanites are fleeing for rural areas. Wealthy New Yorkers have been decamping to the state's vacation spots like the Hamptons, the Hudson Valley, and the Catskills. East Coasters have also headed out to their second homes in Nantucket, a tiny Massachusetts island with 11,300 full-time residents, angering locals..........................

........And like in Sedona, local residents and politicians have condemned this migration for swelling the population of small communities with limited medical resources. .........................

https://i.insider.com/5ea2fe160fc639601f47a4c8?width=700&format=jpeg&auto=webp
sedona arizona
Homes in Sedona seen on April 22. Kent Nishimura / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

3 replies, 1632 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'It really is crowded; it's too crowded': Locals in small towns like Sedona, Arizona, say hiking tr (Original post)
riversedge Apr 2020 OP
marble falls Apr 2020 #1
appalachiablue Apr 2020 #2
SunSeeker Apr 2020 #3

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Fri Apr 24, 2020, 10:23 PM

1. It was a wonderful place before the 90's. A wonderful place before they kicked the hippies out ...

I was back at Jerome about five years ago: same thing. Jerome will soon be the funky Sedona.

Bisbee's still fun.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 02:07 AM

2. Sedona and the environs were fine when I visited in the early 90s

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 02:25 AM

3. Must be nice to have a safe second home to bug off to.

The rich lead very different lives.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread