HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » There's a critical witnes...

Sat Jan 25, 2020, 03:37 PM

There's a critical witness impeachment is missing

There is an important missing witness in the impeachment of President Trump, and his last name, for all the fulminations of the presidentís defenders, isnít Biden.

No, that witness is Trump himself ó and the best case for calling him has been established by an argument advanced by the presidentís own lawyers. Trumpís testimony is actually pertinent for precisely the reason the Bidensí testimony is not.

Trumpís lawyers contend that a president should not be impeached and removed for making a bona fide policy judgment, whether or not that judgment turns out to be misguided or wrong. On that point, theyíre absolutely right. If a president makes a reasoned decision about what best serves the nationís interests, even if he turns out to be wrong, he has committed no impeachable offense. The Framers didnít intend, through impeachment, to transform such policy disputes or mistakes into high crimes.

The claim that Trump acted for legitimate reasons ostensibly serves as the basis for his backersí suggestions that former vice president Joe Biden or his son Hunter should be called to testify. The theory of summoning the Bidens would be to lend credence to the contention that Trumpís involvement in Ukraine was genuinely motivated by concern over corruption there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/01/24/george-conway-oped-impeachment-witness/

5 replies, 1430 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply There's a critical witness impeachment is missing (Original post)
Zorro Jan 25 OP
getagrip_already Jan 25 #1
2naSalit Jan 25 #2
getagrip_already Jan 25 #3
2naSalit Jan 25 #4
czarjak Jan 26 #5

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Sat Jan 25, 2020, 03:59 PM

1. Haven't you been watching?

He has appeared in video and via tweet several times. He proved himself guilty beyond a shadow of doubt.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to getagrip_already (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 25, 2020, 05:07 PM

2. Today?

I can't watch, can't handle it. Is he live tweeting or something? Is it over yet?

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #2)

Sat Jan 25, 2020, 06:01 PM

3. no, last 3 days....

The house managers have continuously used clips of trump speaking and read his tweets......

Reply to this post

Response to getagrip_already (Reply #3)

Sat Jan 25, 2020, 08:18 PM

4. Got it, thanks.

I can handle some newshead analysis but I won't subject myself to a screechfest of hate and lies.

Two more days of it...

Reply to this post

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Sun Jan 26, 2020, 01:10 PM

5. Exonerate thyself...

"Why should I have to ask for forgiveness?" Theological genius says.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread