HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Aaron Sorkin: An Open Let...

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 03:17 PM

Aaron Sorkin: An Open Letter to Mark Zuckerberg

Facebook isnít defending free speech, itís assaulting truth.

'Mark,

In 2010, I wrote ďThe Social NetworkĒ and I know you wish I hadnít. You protested that the film was inaccurate and that Hollywood didnít understand that some people build things just for the sake of building them. (We do understand that ó we do it every day.)

I didnít push back on your public accusation that the movie was a lie because Iíd had my say in the theaters, but you and I both know that the screenplay was vetted to within an inch of its life by a team of studio lawyers with one client and one goal: Donít get sued by Mark Zuckerberg.

It was hard not to feel the irony while I was reading excerpts from your recent speech at Georgetown University, in which you defended ó on free speech grounds ó Facebookís practice of posting demonstrably false ads from political candidates. I admire your deep belief in free speech. I get a lot of use out of the First Amendment. Most important, itís a bedrock of our democracy and it needs to be kept strong.

But this canít possibly be the outcome you and I want, to have crazy lies pumped into the water supply that corrupt the most important decisions we make together. Lies that have a very real and incredibly dangerous effect on our elections and our lives and our childrenís lives.'>>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/opinion/aaron-sorkin-mark-zuckerberg-facebook.html?

4 replies, 1213 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Aaron Sorkin: An Open Letter to Mark Zuckerberg (Original post)
elleng Oct 31 OP
empedocles Oct 31 #1
crickets Oct 31 #2
empedocles Oct 31 #3
LessAspin Oct 31 #4

Response to elleng (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 03:19 PM

1. Follow the money

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to empedocles (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 05:32 PM

2. Zuckerberg has so much money now, I wonder if it's just about $$ any more.

I think he gets a charge out of power. He likes being famous and important (the reasons why don't bother him at all) and he really wants to think that, as Facebook had a major role in throwing the 2016 election, if things follow precedent he therefore controls the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.

In a word, sociopath.

Reply to this post

Response to empedocles (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 07:34 PM

3. I've read that they keep close track of what the rich at their level get.

I remember the old story that Carnegie realized he was not going to catch up with Rockefeller, so then, he started charitable giving - as a way of competing with Rockefeller, et al.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 10:25 PM

4. The show The Good Wife attacked Sorkin's portrayal of Zuck...

in The Social Network...

Happy to see Aaron Sorkin getting the last word here.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/103713713

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread