HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » We're Less and Less a Chr...

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 06:59 AM

We're Less and Less a Christian Nation, and I Blame Some Blowhards

Some intolerant conservative evangelicals have tainted the faith.

Perhaps for the first time since the United States was established, a majority of young adults here do not identify as Christian.

Only 49 percent of millennials consider themselves Christian, compared with 84 percent of Americans in their mid-70s or older, according to a new report from the Pew Research Center.

We don’t have good historical data, and the historians I consulted are wary of definitive historical comparisons. But something significant seems to be happening. The share of American adults who regard themselves as Christian has fallen by 12 percentage points in just the last decade.

“The U.S. is steadily becoming less Christian and less religiously observant,” the Pew study concluded.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/26/opinion/sunday/christianity-united-states.html

21 replies, 1599 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply We're Less and Less a Christian Nation, and I Blame Some Blowhards (Original post)
Zorro Oct 27 OP
Croney Oct 27 #1
lagomorph777 Nov 5 #20
5X Oct 27 #2
brewens Oct 27 #3
Cirque du So-What Oct 27 #4
stonecutter357 Oct 27 #5
Squinch Oct 27 #6
safeinOhio Oct 27 #7
raccoon Oct 27 #8
3Hotdogs Oct 27 #9
democratisphere Oct 27 #10
RKP5637 Oct 27 #11
2naSalit Oct 27 #12
amcgrath Oct 27 #13
Skittles Oct 27 #14
uriel1972 Oct 27 #15
blugbox Nov 4 #16
uriel1972 Nov 4 #17
patphil Nov 4 #18
dalton99a Nov 4 #19
Skittles Friday #21

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:14 AM

1. Blame, or thank?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Croney (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 5, 2019, 04:21 PM

20. Thank! These clowns are simply displaying out loud what we should have always known:

It's a bunch of BS, concocted to repress the poor and stupid, in order to keep the rich and powerful on top.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:18 AM

2. good news.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:30 AM

3. Good. And we never had "god " in schools that I can remember. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:31 AM

4. The internet

has made it possible to expose hypocrisy, critique, correct the historical record on a scale not previously possible. The deluge of truth is sufficient to counteract the appeals to emotion on which evangelical Christianity depend.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:40 AM

5. We're Less and Less a Christian Nation . GOOD !

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:46 AM

6. The United States was specifically designed NOT to be a Christian nation.

Or a nation of any other religion.

If we were ever a Christian nation, that was due to a failure to understand our own most valued principles.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:53 AM

7. If this is a Christian Nation,

I want a Jubilee year so all of my debts can be forgiven. More than 200 years with out one and counting.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:56 AM

8. I think that's a good thing. Nt

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:57 AM

9. Fewer Christians.

THANK YOU, JESUS !!!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 08:12 AM

10. Many so-called Christians' behavior is ANYTHING BUT Christ-like.

Frauds to a belief.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 08:13 AM

11. Good! n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 08:35 AM

12. Good!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 04:35 PM

13. I don't think Evangelicals identify as Christian anymore ?

I don't remember the last time I heard one quote, explain or justify anything in the name of christ. They only seem to quote from the Old Testament nowadays. Fire and brimstone. - because Jesus was unforgivably liberal

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 04:44 PM

14. "tainted the faith", give me a break

I LOVE that younger folk are resisting the notion that you just have to have some kind of "faith". GOOD FOR THEM.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:43 PM

15. I just can't find any reason to be upset with this...

CONGARATS USA!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 12:53 AM

16. Good riddance.

I've retyped this message and erased it like seven times and I can't articulate my arguments in a way that satisfies the point I'm trying to make. Namely:

If there is a God, then fuck that motherfucker. You are the ultimate being of the universe and can do anything but this is what we end up with? Pathetic bullshit.

I'm much more comforted by the fact that we are alone in a cold, uncaring universe. THAT makes anything good or positive we do as humans a real miracle.

Christianity as we all know it is a scam, and if there is an actual God, I turn my back and reject his bullshit offer.

Reply to this post

Response to blugbox (Reply #16)

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 01:28 AM

17. I stand with you my sibling in just anger!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 08:24 PM

18. I walked away from the Catholic religion about 50 years ago.

There was something about it that bothered me.
It wasn't fulfilling my spiritual need, and some of the teachings didn't feel right.
I spent a long time looking for, and finding God on my own.
About 20 years ago, I joined a love based spiritual group that has helped me reconnect with God.
I have discovered that the true path to God is within each of us, and the door to the path is opened with love.
Love is the opening door, as the song says.

Patrick Phillips

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 4, 2019, 09:41 PM

19. "Christianity is associated less with love than with hate"

But a far bigger threat to the “brand” of Christianity comes, I think, from religious blowhards who have entangled faith with bigotry, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia. For some young people, Christianity is associated less with love than with hate.

“Pompous right-wing political chest-thumping, and an unwillingness to listen on matters like climate change or racism, has contributed to a perception by millions that Christianity is irrelevant, or worse yet, a threat to progress,” the Rev. Richard Cizik, the leader of a group of self-described “new evangelicals” with moderate views, told me. “That’s a real burden to carry going into the 21st century.”

Cizik, who was fired from the National Association of Evangelicals in 2008 after he expressed support for civil unions for gay people, added that Christianity’s reputation suffers from backward views on women’s issues and from the unwavering support among evangelical hard-liners for President Trump.

“Trump has played them like a fiddle,” he said.

It would be difficult to imagine a president more at odds with Jesus’ message than Trump, a serial philanderer and liar who has persecuted refugees, divided families, exploited the poor and allegedly committed sexual assaults. When Trump in 2016 was asked to name a favorite part of the Bible, he muttered “an eye for an eye” — a reference to an Old Testament passage that Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount, specifically renounced.

That is the opposite of the Christianity whose heroic side I’ve often praised: A Catholic doctor in Sudan’s Nuba mountains … a missionary doctor in Angola … nuns everywhere. If they were the face of Christianity, its reputation would be golden. Likewise, Christian organizations like International Justice Mission, Mercy Ships, Catholic Relief Services and World Vision labor to make the world a better place. Across America, a crucial safety net comes from churches organizing food pantries and emergency shelters.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread